XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Heater Valve?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 10:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heater Valve?

My independent Mech says I need a new heater valve to fix my "no heat" condition in my 98 XJR.... I trust this guy mostly...since he is a factory trained ex Land Rover tech now working on his own. My cars heat was working great...but my friend used some type of stop leak product on my car while I was sick in the hospital and he was driving my car. Shortly afterwards, my car quit making heat. My tech guy quoted 500.00 to fix it...

My question to you guys...is can I change this heater valve myself? where is it exactly? and does it require special tools or anything like that? Do I hafta take my dash apart to get to it?

also...I have a 97 xj6 im not really driving that much anymore...can I take the heater valve off of that car?

Thanks in advance

Bill

Old 01-10-2012, 11:17 AM
Received 208 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by xjrpilot
My independent Mech says I need a new heater valve to fix my "no heat" condition in my 98 XJR.... I trust this guy mostly...since he is a factory trained ex Land Rover tech now working on his own. My cars heat was working great...but my friend used some type of stop leak product on my car while I was sick in the hospital and he was driving my car. Shortly afterwards, my car quit making heat. My tech guy quoted 500.00 to fix it...

My question to you guys...is can I change this heater valve myself? where is it exactly? and does it require special tools or anything like that? Do I hafta take my dash apart to get to it?

also...I have a 97 xj6 im not really driving that much anymore...can I take the heater valve off of that car?

Thanks in advance

Bill
Couple of things. Not sure about the water valves but I don't think they are interchangeable. I will check with my parts guy. What I think is going on, since you have a 98 model, is the heater core is now totally clogged. Early on in 95 96ish give or take, Jag started using a yellow coolant. This coolant was found to clog stuff, especially heater cores. At the dealer, we were instructed to do a chemical flush of the entire cooling system which included the heater core. this setup usually worked because the engine got really hot and allowed the chemicals to break up the sediment type stuff that clogged it all. There is most likely a bulletin somewhere in the sticky section on it. You may have to look in the 97 to 06 XK section for it as well. those cars were affected. I imagine the bars leak or whatever it was just sealed up the already small holes in the heater core so flushing may not even work.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 474 Likes on 355 Posts

I had a no heat situation in my 99 XJ8 4.0 last week. I suspected the aux water heater pump was at fault, so I removed and dismantled it. I inspected the bushes and there was lots of beef there so I applied fresh grease and reassembled it. I bench tested it and it worked very well, and now the car is roasting!

Check the pump first, easier to get at and only 2 pipes to disconnect instead of 4.