XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

heating / cooling vent flaps replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 12:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile heating / cooling vent flaps replacement

Hi,

I have a 1999 Jaguar XJ8, the problem I'm having is that the rubber seals around the vent flaps throughout the system have become brittle and disintegrated thus the system is not operating correctly and allowing hot and cold air when it shouldn't due to the lack of sealing. I have activated the diagnostic mode and it passed without errors. I removed the facia vents and looked at the seals on the flaps, that's when I discovered the deterioration. How do I go about replacing the seals throughout the system, particularly the vent box in front of the centre console (Not sure of its correct name). Please help.

Old 08-01-2016, 06:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,319 Likes on 1,004 Posts

One of the first things you are going to need is the x308 workshop manual. Without it a task that is already difficult will become even tougher to accomplish.
You will have to remove the center console, dash front and possibly the entire dash assembly. Going after the A/C, heater assembly is the same procedure for changing the A/C evaporator coil.
Below is a link to my drop box where you can download the manual in PDF form. It is about 2500 pages long.
Some things to try not to disturb in your removals is the shifting assembly, cables and connectors in the center console. You need to also be very diligent in handling the connectors for the instrument cluster. They function as a processor module for the entire electronic interface.
It is doable but will take a considerable amount of time and effort.
Once you have everything apart do a forum search for blend door repairs for the x308. With it all out in the open it would be a good time to address possible future problems.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/d1knbacxct...kshop.pdf?dl=0