XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Hello ALL 98 XJ8 VP problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 12:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello ALL 98 XJ8 VP problems

Hello to all this is my first post here on theses forums. I currently have a 98 XJ8 Vanden Plas, that has developed several problem over the last few weeks.

The first is a slight miss at idle, the spark plug had been replaced before and I replaced them with the same kind that where in there an NGK plug, but after looking at a few sites on the net I realized that those are the wrong plug for the car, from what I have read they need to be .050 gapped ? and the NGK's I installed where .035 gapped. Could this cause a slight miss at idle?

Second as when I was changing the plugs bank A #3 cylinder's coil pack was full of oil. I just figured b/c the filler neck is above it and it just had a recent oil change that it spilled into the hole. But when I went to work on bank B all the plug as the similar think oil above the plugs. My guess is I need to replace the spark plug seals on the valve covers?

Thirds is I cannot seem to get the car out of park, it like the shifter is locked in, I will eventually go into gear but takes a while.. What could be the cause? Where should I begin to look?

Also I have read allot about the timing chain tensioners, what are some symptoms I should be looking for in relation to them? And where can I get a good service manual

Old 06-27-2009, 11:31 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The shifter lock is controlled by teh Body Control Module. The fuse box in the drivers side rear seat kick board has a 15 amp fuse that controls the power from the Body Control Module to the lock solinoid, as well as the overhead console lighting (map). The fuse is in the number 7 spot. I would check that. To manually override the lock, you need to stick your key in the override hole on the shift console and shift the car into neutral to start. The hole is two inches away from the shifter at 11 oclock. It is filled with a plastic torx plug. Unsrew it, and put the key in the hole, and wiggle it around while shifting out of park. If the fuse is ok, I can't help you.

Old 06-27-2009, 04:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default unable to engage gears

I,ll put my money on a defective brake light switch, they get gummed up with time, and need to be re lubricated with some light spray grease.
needs to be taken out to do this!
The interlock switch gets its power supply from the brake light switch, thats why you have to have your foot on the brake while shifting out of park.