XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 06:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help

I have a 97 VDP. It was running very well up to about one month ago. My mech. sent me to a body shop that had done work on his Jags and recommended him to me. After having the vehicle painted I picked it up and drove it home. Didn't use it for about a month and battery ran down. I opened trunk and recharged battery. But then while parked I forgot to turn off lights and battery ran down again. I was unable to open trunk with button, so tried key. It would not work, and I called Mech. for assistance.

He came out and after trying to open trunk by using a set of jumper cables under hood, told me he would have to tow to shop. I didn't hear from him for awhile, so I called him. Vehicle was back in body shop. It remainded there for a few weeks. Finally I went to shop and I could see that truck had been reworked. Body man showed that trunk was now working manually. We was going to take vehicle back to Mech. shop, but mech. had to come start the vehicle. After Christmas, vehicle was returned to shop. The next day mech. informed me that there was something wrong with starting. They were not able to get power from one of the modules, power from int. switch to module, but not from module to starter.

It is my impression that they must have done something during their attempts to start my vehicle, as prior to this vehicle started every time with no problem and will now not turn over. They tell me in may be a security switch, or sensor that may have to be replaced.

The closest dealer is 50 to 60 miles from my location, and requires a appt. at least 3 weeks in advance.

Has anyone had this type of problem or any knowledge of what cause this non-starting.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:50 PM

I have found out some more information to by current problem and here it is. When you insert the ign. key and turn it the first position all the light on console work. When you turn it to start position it will not turn engine over. You can however turn the key to the run position or start and jump directly from the starter and vehicle. However, you still can not open the trunk with the interior button and you can not open the fuel filler cap. I am of the opinion that the security setting need to be reset due to the battery completely running down. Any advise?

Old 12-30-2010, 05:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,111 Likes on 932 Posts

No guarantees but sometimes a hard reboot can fix such problems. Remove the negative battery cable from the battery post and touch it to the positive post. That drains all the little electrons from the car's electronics and everything gets to start over.

The following users liked this post:
Heritage Cues (12-30-2010)
Old 12-30-2010, 09:21 AM

Thanks! We tried the soluation you suggested. It did not work, and mech. still thinks it is a security problem. So it is heading to the dealer within the next three weeks.

Old 12-31-2010, 06:25 AM
ud
Received 148 Likes on 75 Posts

Disconnecting the battery isn't going to fix anything, but at least now you have it out of the way and you know that now.

Since we're shooting at a target with a blindfold on, have you tried resetting the inertia switch? Sometimes it is upset on visits to the body shop. It's a shot in the dark for the start issue only. It won't answer the questions about the trunk or gas filler lid.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:12 AM
Thumbs up The Problem Solved

Well the problem was finally found. But in order to find it had to take vehicle to Cat dealer. After going over all these things that vehicle would not do anymore, tech put on diagnoses and uncovered the following:

The Body Control Module was no longer working.

So if you run into any of these problems this may be something you want to look at.
1. dimming of radio or other eletronic displays.
2. gas entry cap has to be opened by hand.
3. security system starts to fail.
4. finally, nothing seems to work, vehicle will not start, have to use manual release to shift transmission into gear.

The part is no longer available through your Cat dealer. It is going to be used or rebuilt. A new part would be $400.00 if you could get one. A used one was found for $100.00.