XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Help! have i ruined my Xjr?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 06:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by Vector
Knock sensors usually go bad due to a coolant leak, the condition you replicated by washing the engine. They are cheap enough, about $28 on the 'bay: Airtex 5S5619 Knock Detonation Sensor | eBay.

Here's my thread: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...s-codes-91090/
and another: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ir-bill-90891/

I "relocated" my knock sensor, allowing me to replace it without removing the supercharger.
Vector
Vector, you kept quiet about the outcome of the debate we had on that thread - where/how did you relocate the sensor and does it seem to work OK?

Old 04-10-2013, 12:02 PM
jjd
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Oh man what a disaster. Removal of the s/c and all the related expense is just not feasible at the moment. You see these lovely cars are more or less worthless here due to almost 2 grand a year road tax and E1.50 plus a litre for fuel, then yearly tests hefty insurance etc. Thats why i bought the best i could find as repairing one makes no economic sense.i think ill just chance the plug removal, drying and reconnecting of electrical components option first then I will buy a new knock sensor and take it from there. Many thanks to everyones advice, ye have all been very helpful and i am n no way doubting any of the advice given but i really have to start with the simplest option first and be optomistic. Failing that she just goes off the road such is the fate of big cars needing serious work in the emerald isle.

Old 04-10-2013, 12:22 PM
Received 448 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by steveinfrance
Vector, you kept quiet about the outcome of the debate we had on that thread - where/how did you relocate the sensor and does it seem to work OK?
Yes, there was some controversy about the wisdom of relocating the sensor.

I relocated my sensor about 6" back from its electrical connector in the valley between the intercooler and the supercharger. I actually left the original in place and plugged the new one into the harness. It worked great, no more codes.
Vector

Old 04-10-2013, 12:28 PM
jjd

Yes, there was some controversy about the wisdom of relocating the sensor.

I relocated my sensor about 6" back from its electrical connector in the valley between the intercooler and the supercharger. I actually left the original in place and plugged the new one into the harness. It worked great, no more codes.
Vector
So am i right in thinking that you just unplugged old sensor, and bonded new one to the block under cooling bricks then plugged new one in? How did you attach it to the engine?

Old 04-10-2013, 12:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 417 Likes on 308 Posts
Talking Codes, codes

Why can't you clear the codes ? Most of them will not go away by themselves, even if you disconnect the battery for a month. You could have triggered the codes at the time, but now the issue is gone and the codes remain. If you do need a knock sensor or two, it's not the end of the world. I just replaced one of mine and it wasn't too bad. Of course I don't have a supercharger ...

Old 04-10-2013, 01:25 PM
jjd

I think its the removal of the s/c that makes it a big job.

Old 04-10-2013, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by jjd
So am i right in thinking that you just unplugged old sensor, and bonded new one to the block under cooling bricks then plugged new one in? How did you attach it to the engine?
You are correct. I attached it with heavy duty epoxy. (yea, I know, but it worked!)
vector

Old 04-10-2013, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by jjd
I think its the removal of the s/c that makes it a big job.
Yes, you are correct again! It takes it from a 30 minute job into a 30 hour job, well, not really, but folks say it takes all day to remove the supercharger so that is 14 to 16 hours right there to R&R! Plus you have to replace a lot of gaskets and might as well do the hoses while you are in there.....lol!
Vector

Old 04-10-2013, 08:26 PM
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

It's a 1.5 week or more job when the dealer forgets the parts you ordered.

I used the forum discount with a vendor here... in the end they came through... sucked waiting though.

Now she purrrrrrssss

Old 04-11-2013, 02:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

As suggested clear the codes. When (if) the KS code comes back then get your Araldite out. There's no logical reason for Vector's mod not to work despite quite a lot of opposition to the idea when it was mooted.

The following users liked this post:
Porsche407 (09-23-2013)
Old 04-11-2013, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by steveinfrance
As suggested clear the codes. When (if) the KS code comes back then get your Araldite out. There's no logical reason for Vector's mod not to work despite quite a lot of opposition to the idea when it was mooted.
OK Steve, you made me look it up. lol!

Araldite® adhesives - Build, Bond, Protect

Vector

The following users liked this post:
Porsche407 (09-23-2013)
Old 04-11-2013, 02:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 279 Likes on 194 Posts

I can have the supercharger off in 1 hour.
Takes me about 1.5 hours to get it back on. I think the TB to elbow gasket is $15 at the dealer, the elbow to SC is reusable (rubber). It is only when you start removing charge coolers that gaskets become more expensive.

and I am not a mechanic buy any stretch.

It is not that difficult if you have done it before.

Last edited by WaterDragon; 04-11-2013 at 02:39 PM.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:55 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by p-Rock
Is it bad to drive the car while using Bluetooth adapter & torque, etc.?
I don't think so, but I just got my Bluetooth OBD rig in the mail today. I'll let you know how it works out.

I got it due to problems with a Actron Pocket Scan 9125 throwing "phantom" codes.
Vector
I run my Jag with the Bluetooth adapter and the app Torque connected everyday. I love that app! It auto starts when I get in my car and dock it. I like to watch some of the gauges while I drive. I had a very unpleasant event with a motor seizing all because I didn't know I lost all the oil due to a burst oil gasket. Had I known the pressure had dropped to zero I could have saved the engine.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by WaterDragon
I can have the supercharger off in 1 hour.
Takes me about 1.5 hours to get it back on. I think the TB to elbow gasket is $15 at the dealer, the elbow to SC is reusable (rubber). It is only when you start removing charge coolers that gaskets become more expensive.

and I am not a mechanic buy any stretch.

It is not that difficult if you have done it before.
Neither is landing a jet liner, alligator wrestling and juggling chainsaws, if you have done it before, lol!

I think that none of use have done this job before and having read other members experiences with the task, we really don't want to try it unless absolutely necessary.
Vector

Old 04-11-2013, 10:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 279 Likes on 194 Posts

Roger that!

But, if you were in the bay area, I would help you do it, no charge

I am helping another forum member remove and install these parts so he can port and polish the entire intake track.

I was more than a little apprehensive trying it the first time. For non-mechanics like me it is more than a little intimidating under that hood!

Old 04-12-2013, 08:14 AM
Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Bug Splat
I run my Jag with the Bluetooth adapter and the app Torque connected everyday. I love that app! It auto starts when I get in my car and dock it. I like to watch some of the gauges while I drive. I had a very unpleasant event with a motor seizing all because I didn't know I lost all the oil due to a burst oil gasket. Had I known the pressure had dropped to zero I could have saved the engine.
Nice! I do the same...but I haven't been able to pull oil temp/pressure. I guess you installed the Realgauge mod?

Old 04-12-2013, 12:16 PM
jjd

Update rescan with obd still have knock sensor code wont clear. New one ordered, plan b now! Oh the joys, still i wouldnt be without her, lovely car. Just wondering would it be ok to drive about in the car in the interim? Weather is nice for a change and i wont be ragging the tail off it just leisurely cruising?

Old 04-22-2013, 02:30 PM
jjd

Hello again folks. Received new knock sensor, plugged it in but not mounted yet to see would there be any bearing on codes etc. No change im afraid cel on, restricted performance and engine fail safe mode on and same codes as before. However when i then rescan with obd i get "no codes" reading coming up? I wonder would the problem now lie with the cheapo obd scanner im using? I have access to dealer spec system next week is this the way to go? This problem is really beginning to tick me off.

Old 04-22-2013, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by jjd
Hello again folks. Received new knock sensor, plugged it in but not mounted yet to see would there be any bearing on codes etc. No change im afraid cel on, restricted performance and engine fail safe mode on and same codes as before. However when i then rescan with obd i get "no codes" reading coming up? I wonder would the problem now lie with the cheapo obd scanner im using? I have access to dealer spec system next week is this the way to go? This problem is really beginning to tick me off.
I'm confused, which is not unusual BTW, lol!

You say your scanner is saying "no codes" but you also say that you have "the same codes as before."

So which is it? Codes or no codes?

Did you use the sanner to "clear codes?"
Vecot

Old 04-22-2013, 03:08 PM
jjd

I'm confused, which is not unusual BTW, lol!

You say your scanner is saying "no codes" but you also say that you have "the same codes as before."

So which is it? Codes or no codes?

Did you use the sanner to "clear codes?"
Vecot
Yeah sorry not to clear was i? Basically i scanned codes, and same ones as before came up 0332, 1000, 1697, 1642 then i selected erase codes option. Erase fail comes up. Then rescan option appears. ON the second scan 'no codes' comes up but cel is still on along with restricted performance engine failsafe and on occasion no trac and no abs/asc? what the hell is going on????

Quick Reply: Help! have i ruined my Xjr?