XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Help : Identify Pipe

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 03:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help : Identify Pipe

This brownish rusty pipe burst and shot radiator antifreeze over my engine stalling my car, can someone please identify this part. It has something to do with the radiator. It is at the top front center of the motor.

2001 Vanden Plas, 157k, not supercharge

Attached Thumbnails Help : Identify Pipe-jag-pipe.jpg   Help : Identify Pipe-jag-pipe2.jpg  
Old 11-15-2012, 03:26 PM
Received 239 Likes on 168 Posts

This part is the main coolant outlet pipe & it takes hot coolant from the top of the cylinder heads into the thermostat housing. If this fails, like yours has, then the coolant cannot reach the radiator & the engine will overheat.

It's not particularly expensive-the latest part number is: AJ85885 & the price here in the UK is around £35 GBP, which is around $55 in your money I believe.

It shouldn't be too difficult to replace-just undo what you can see

Use the correct spec pink/orange antifreeze as listed in the handbook when refilling the cooling system-it's also specified for certain Ford cars & meets the following spec:

WSS-M97B44-D

DON'T use the usual blue antifreeze or any other stuff-the correct coolant is not that expensive & you've always got the option of Ford dealers too-I bought a 5L bottle off ebay for a good price & it's the exact stuff required, meeting the above spec.

The following users liked this post:
01vandenplas (11-15-2012)
Old 11-15-2012, 03:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,815 Likes on 2,244 Posts

That's the water outlet pipe made of the same plastic as the thermostat housing. So replace both. It is preferable to use one of the aluminum thermostat housings available from aftermarket suppliers mentioned on the forums.
The XK8 and XJ8 are repaired in the same manner, and a good procedure with potos can be found at jagrepair.com.

01vandenplas (11-15-2012)
Old 11-17-2012, 04:35 PM
Default Water Outlet Pipe Replaced - Now No Heat

Replaced the the water outlet pipe, flushed coolant, and refilled...and now no heat, any ideas?

Old 11-17-2012, 05:40 PM
Received 239 Likes on 168 Posts

Probably an air lock in the cooling system so you may need to bleed the system. The trick is to slowly fill the cooling system & leave plenty of 'venting space' in the coolant expansion tank-gradually bringing the level up to normal as the engine gets warm.

If you just fill the cooling system straight to full without bleeding it, you'll trap air pockets in the heater pipes etc which will expand when hot & stop coolant flow.

Let the engine cool & then drain off about a litre of coolant from the expansion tank-I use a clear long piece of syphon tube into an empty 2 litre lemonade bottle. Remove the expansion tank cap, then start the engine with the heater set to maximum hot.

Keep an eye on the coolant level and it should slowly fall as the air pockets bleed out-gradually top up the system & monitor the cabin air temperature until you start to feel warm air coming out of the air vents.

Once this happens, top up the cooling system to nearly the full level & put the cap back on before the engine really warms up, otherwise it may bubble hot coolant out. Run the engine at a fast idle (around 1200-1500rpm) until the temp gauge reads normal. Check for hot air at the heater air vents-if that's ok, then switch off the engine-let it cool overnight & then top up the cooling system the next day to the normal 'full' level.

01vandenplas (11-17-2012)
Old 11-17-2012, 05:47 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 01vandenplas
Replaced the the water outlet pipe, flushed coolant, and refilled...and now no heat, any ideas?
Air in the system. You'll need to purge that.

I personally prefer to fill cooling systems under a vacuum. Much less chance of getting an airbound head or heater core. Look on ebay or Craigslist for a Snap-On/Blue Point RADKITPLUS or RADKITPLUS Jr.

Or do it the old school way and do the fill/bleed with the nose of the car up in the air (on ramps or jack stands) to make the overflow the high point in the system. It's not foolproof but it helps.

01vandenplas (11-17-2012)
Old 11-18-2012, 06:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,622 Likes on 874 Posts

Hi
Looks like I am a little late responding to post#1 - you already purchased the part and installed it.

Our 2001 XJ8 Water Outlet Pipe (Crossover pipe) also is leaking. I order new a one from Jaguar of Greenville in North Carolina (a few days ago).

Mention that you are a member of the Jaguar Forums and they discount the part and give free shipping.

I ordered part# AJ85885 and was charged $53.00 and it has been shipped free of any other charges.

Call them and ask for Mark in the parts department.

They usually ship the parts the same or next day depending in it is in stock.

Jim Lombardi

Last edited by jimlombardi; 11-18-2012 at 06:32 AM.
Old 11-18-2012, 03:52 PM

Thanks Jim...I will make note of that dealership for future parts...we paid $21 more at Hampton Jaguar in Columbia, SC....
Now just hoping the heat will work ....

Old 12-04-2012, 05:17 PM

Hi,
Have replaced outlet water pipe, thermostat, thermostat housing, cover and surround pipes....And today, this pipe blew off from underneath car...Can someone identify it for me...

Attached Thumbnails Help : Identify Pipe-jagpipe2.jpg   Help : Identify Pipe-jagpipe.jpg  
Old 12-04-2012, 05:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 542 Likes on 423 Posts

Ruh Roh- I am going with overpressured cooling system.

Old 12-04-2012, 05:22 PM

The pipe is somewhere near the reservoir, behind the motor and the transmission beneath the antifreeze container..

Old 12-04-2012, 07:05 PM
Veteran Member

Hi
The pipe in the photos looks like the hose (pipe) that goes from the electric aux heater pump to the heater matrix.

Name:  XJX308auxheaterpumpnon-returnvalve.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  61.0 KB

Auxiliary Heater Water Pump Non Return Valve - MNC6732CA

Name:  XJX308AuxWaterPumpNonReturnvalve.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  22.4 KB

heater hose with valve / mnc6742ac

Name:  XJX308heaterelectricpumptomatrixpipe.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  51.3 KB

I think all of these images are probably the parts related to the pipe in your photo.

Jim Lombardi

Last edited by jimlombardi; 12-04-2012 at 07:15 PM.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:14 PM

Jim,
These looks like the ones, how do you get to them?

Old 12-04-2012, 07:17 PM

The AC/Heating system was not on when this happen

Old 12-04-2012, 08:23 PM
Veteran Member

Hi
I just had our aux heater pump replaced with used one, also had all the heater hoses flushed to remove all the clogs inside them, and Climate Control module replaced.

A lot of expense, but we now have proper heat in our 2001 XJ8

I wish I had taken a few pictures of the engine compartment where the aux heater pump and the other heater hoses are located.

But I can give you where they are located.

The aux heater pump is between abs module and the brake reservior (mounted on the fender liner).

Your hose might be the one attached to either the incoming or outgoing aux heater pump connectors.

The other possible location is following the hoses from the aux heater pump to the matrix heater hoses under the Center Engine Bulkhead Cover.

Name:  XJX308EngineBulkheadCoversPhoto.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  41.3 KB

You will need to remove the Driver side Bulkhead Cover and loosen the Passenger Side Bulkhead Cover (I do not like removing it - has TCM & ECM under that cover) to be able to remove the Center Bulkhead Cover.

Jim Lombardi

Last edited by jimlombardi; 12-05-2012 at 04:21 AM.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:40 PM

Heat nor AC was ever the issue until the water coolant pipe broke..., something caused the breakage...Another member mentioned overpressured system?

Are there instructions for replacing that hose / pump in the jtis? If so, how do I get to them?

Thanks

Old 12-05-2012, 07:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

Whether the AC or heater is on or off, the entire coolant loop, of which this is a part, gets pressurized as the coolant heats up when the engine is running. If your pressure relief cap for your coolant system is fouled up, or if the plumbing is wrong, the system can build pressure to the point of blowing off hoses. I wonder, are you sure you installed the thermostat in the correct direction and is the bleed hole up?

The JTIS has step by step instructions for many tasks, but they are not at a descriptive level of say a Haynes or Chiltopn manual, which are not available for this car. Until you learn a little more about engines and car repair, I think you will be frustrated by the terms used and the procedures described, which assumes alittle more than basic mechanical kniowledge and experience.

BTW, that particular hose is in a really hard to reach place and is one PITA to replace in my experience. You will probably have to remove some other stuff to get to it.

Last edited by sparkenzap; 12-05-2012 at 07:42 AM.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:37 AM
Default Need Schematic for Hose connections

My Dad is doing the work, I am the typist... he needs the schematic for all the hose connections from radiator fill tank to engine...Can someone provide these or tell me where to look for them..

Old 12-05-2012, 11:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

Look carefully at the return hose to the radiator and the hose that heads to the overflow in the wheelwell. They should cross at the tank.

Old 12-05-2012, 12:09 PM
Default Hose taken off

These are pix of the hose off the car...he said looks like a piece may be missing...

Attached Thumbnails Help : Identify Pipe-photo.jpg   Help : Identify Pipe-photo2.jpg   Help : Identify Pipe-photo3.jpg  

Quick Reply: Help : Identify Pipe