XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Help! Locking, Alarm, Door Issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 09:35 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Help! Locking, Alarm, Door Issues

I need some help! My wife and I went out - first date in the Jag. Going over bumps or while going through turns (or for no reason at all) the interior lights would come on and get a Door Open warning message with a red light. Then it would show normal. One of the rear puddle lights was turning on an off with the door closed too. Then last night the alarm went off and after investigating, found the doors wouldn't lock because of an "open door" that didn't exist. Then i had the door open message all the way into work this morning, but no Interior lights. Had to leave it unlocked in the parking deck. I only have one door with working puddle lights/courtesy lights as well. What can I do???

Old 11-22-2010, 10:51 AM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

it seems like you might have some trouble with a door closed/open sensor of some type. I would isolate which door (s) appear to be giving you trouble. Once you find the door of concern you will be able to remove the inner-door trim panel and examine your sensor. You may have a broken sensor or it could just need to be repaired in some way

good luck

Old 11-22-2010, 11:49 AM
Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by squish
I need some help! My wife and I went out - first date in the Jag. Going over bumps or while going through turns (or for no reason at all) the interior lights would come on and get a Door Open warning message with a red light. Then it would show normal. One of the rear puddle lights was turning on an off with the door closed too. Then last night the alarm went off and after investigating, found the doors wouldn't lock because of an "open door" that didn't exist. Then i had the door open message all the way into work this morning, but no Interior lights. Had to leave it unlocked in the parking deck. I only have one door with working puddle lights/courtesy lights as well. What can I do???

You can still lock the doors using the key instead of the keyfob while the car thinks a door is open. You can do this so you wont have to leave your car unlocked before you get the repair.

The following users liked this post:
squish (11-22-2010)
Old 11-22-2010, 03:41 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

with alittle luck this should help you out. roll down the driver's window and have the vehicle running and from outside the vehicle start opening and closing doors. hopefully which ever one is faulty will not correspond correctly with whats on the screen. then you'll need to replace that latch assembly. not sure if someone offers a microswitch that you can replace. hope this helped.

Old 11-22-2010, 04:51 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Is the door-open sensor you speak of in the door latch or elsewhere?

Additionally the problem is not with just one door! Two others are completely dead as far as the open-door sensors are concerned, the one i mentioned is going haywire (back left), and one is operating normally.

Last edited by squish; 11-22-2010 at 05:03 PM.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:52 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yes, the door lock actuator has the switches and the motors all in that assembly. seems to me you could either replace the one going haywire or disconnect it and just operate the system manually. if you decide to disconnect the latch open the door then close the latch with a pen or something similar so the security module thinks the last operation of it is that it was closed. hope this helped.