XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Help me choose the right Jag for my wife!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 05:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me choose the right Jag for my wife!

Hi guys, I love Jags and so does my wife. She has her heart set on a beautiful 1997 XJR 6 inline jobby with 41k on the clock @ $7500, I like the 1998 XJR V8 supercharge lump with 66K miles @ $6700. The problem is which one has better longevity as I can't buy a money pit in this economy. I heard about the Nikacel problem so I was wondering if anybody here could help me identify two VIN numbers of Jags that we intend to buy.

The 1998 XKR V8 vin is VIN:SAJPX1842WC817437
The 1997 XKR 6pot vin is VIN:SAJPX1143VC792007

Also which of the two has a stronger gearbox or transmission? I have yet to test drive them but I will be influenced by the collective knowledge and wisdom of this forum:-) so help as make the right choice guys.

Old 08-13-2010, 06:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

Go with your wife on this one. The XJR6 engine is extremely durable and is easier to work on. When you say "lump" to a Jaguar owner this means the engine is most likely a Chevy or Ford V8 swapped into a Jaguar. Right off the bat you would be looking at the electronics issues with mating up one of those engines to the Jaguar electronics management system. Even if the 1998 XJR has an original Jaguar V8 engine, there are several issues you need to be aware of. As you mentioned the Nikaseal which wasn't really cured until mid 2000. Additionally early model 4.0 V8 engines had issues with the cam chain tensioners and water pumps. Solving all these issues will most likely run you $4K or so. That is just my opinion however and I would listen to others before making the jump.

Old 08-13-2010, 06:35 PM

Hi and thanks for the reply.

When I say lump I'm just referring to the engine block in a generic way, I could have said blob ;-) You will have to forgive my idiosyncrasy as I'm from Scotland and just moved to LA to marry a good lady. I figure she married a tool like me so she deserves a nice treat. The wife is a grad student at USC, a thankless life with no friends! and she has no car in LA! we have been hiring Zipcars which suck cherries.

The engines in both Jags are originals and both have low miles, I just cannot have the wee wife breaking down on an LA freeway and have her blow my ear drums out for buying her a lemon.

I used to work on the old Saabs, so I'm a grease monkey at heart. The water pump and timing chain tensioners sound easy. I was wondering if the time chains should be replaced at the same time as well as the rollers?

I have no idea which has a the more robust gearbox?

Old 08-13-2010, 07:00 PM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Drive them both. The '97 is probably a bit over priced, but the '98 XJR is not quite the same as even the '99. If you aren't a DYI, then I think I would go with the six. That was probably the best version made and is supposed to be very bullet proof. The V8 will be much faster / quicker, but the six is no slouch.

Do your research on this forum, there are good stickies in both this forum and the XK8/XKR forum that will give you great information on the early V8 issues.

Old 08-13-2010, 07:08 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,150 Likes on 753 Posts

That's a tough one. Both engines being equal (as far as maintenance) I'd choose based on a test drive, which didn't have clunks (suspension bushings or shocks) drove straight, shifted smooth, etc. Interior may be a deal breaker also, if its sat in the sun along time, leather could be brittle and may have cracks. Low mileage isn't always a good selling point for these jags. Alot of people will say to by a 'daily driver' because the maintenance was done and most major issues addressed, plus it didn't sit. Idle engines are the devils playground...wait, that isn't right, but you get my meaning.

I know the 98 XJR has the mercedes transmission, very reliable. The 97 v6 Rgot the GM transmission, which means easy parts and service...I learn alot from WIKI if it is correct.

If it were me, I'd get the v8 R though, all things being equal. it's bound to have nicer wheels and a bit more 'go'. I think the 6's had 1-inch smaller wheel than the following year. Either way, you're a peach of a husband.

Old 08-14-2010, 07:38 AM

The wife wants the 6 inline because the fella put on 20 inch chromed rims. He's in North California and the interior on both cars is fabulous! I have yet to test drive them. I want the V8 because I think its a macho thing the wife wants the 6 inline because she wants nothing to do with the nikacel issue and nor do I but for me the V8 has that almighty roar with mountain crushing torque. The Wife is a very romantic sort and thinks that driving from LA to Houston to visit her mum and dad would be great fun in a Jag, I agree as long as I don't break down in Arizona next to a rattle snake.

I have never driven any one of these XJR so I have no basis for comparison. I don't want to turn up and start compression testing the engine as these sellers are private people and they might thing I'm breaking something or just being a toad.

Old 08-14-2010, 08:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 297 Posts

The V8 will certainly be faster -- but my x300 was a really nice car. Fast is relative to these cars -- V6 Honda sedans are just as quick today.

The x300/ x308's are really finicky when it come to tires and I would be surprised if the 20" tires are Ok to use on that car as a daily driver - even the 18" can be a pain.

You do see cars with less than 50k on them that are that old and still owned by the original owner. Normally always in a garage - Thats the kind you need to buy. The chrome wheels are a red flag to me that would require a little digging to set my mind at ease.

Last edited by yeldogt; 08-14-2010 at 10:20 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-14-2010, 08:24 AM
Veteran member

The nikasil issue, you can explain to your wife, is a very small issue now. I wouldn't let that kill a deal in the least. We've mentioned the low-sulfur fuels now that won't have any effect on it. However, the cylinder wash phenomenon is something you will need to consider if you do get the v8. If you, or someone else forgets and shuts off the engine shortly after starting, it can be frustrating to correct. The tensioners...also something that needs to be taken care of upon taking ownership.

I bet the suspension on the XJ6 with those 20'' rims won't ride that well, especially on that drive from LA to Houston. Use that as a selling point for the V8, or assure her it'll take another $1000 to find a jaguar rim set (17 or 18") w/tires for that MY that will compliment the car's suspension if she finds it too 'rough'. Those are big wheels/tires for a car like that.

keep us informed

Old 08-14-2010, 08:29 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't looked into the XJ6, but my research into the XJ8/XJR lead me to the 2002-2003 XJR. Both the Nickacil and Tensioner issues had been dealt with by that date, and the transmission on the XJR is more reliable than the transmission on the XJ8. In 2004 the XJ_ had been re-designed and an air suspension introduced. I've read of issues with the air suspension and I'd prefer the less complex shocks and springs on the pre '04 model. That is how I determined what to hunt down, YMMV

Old 08-14-2010, 08:34 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

P.S. in Jag speak: L.U.M.P = "Less Upkeep More Performance" and it usually equates to a pre '90s Jag with a Chevy (sometimes Ford) drive-train installed.

Old 08-14-2010, 08:48 AM
ud
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by carelm
When you say "lump" to a Jaguar owner this means the engine is most likely a Chevy or Ford V8 swapped into a Jaguar.

To quote a very famous flying chicken driver with a classic stashe known as the bandit "it depends on where you are as to how dumb you sound". (no I'm not insulting you) Lump in G.B. would be your engine, just as your boot isn't something made out of lizard skin on the foot of a cowboy. As for a Chevy or Ford V8 most in G.B. would call that a boat anchor. LOL

As for the choices, I wouldn't buy a 98-01ish XJ8 or XJR without verification that the tensioners were replaced and doing a compression test on all the cylinders.

Old 08-14-2010, 10:08 AM
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Go with an '02 or '03 and save yourself on maintenance issues.

Old 08-15-2010, 01:22 AM

Mrs S, here. While my fondness for the XJR-6 couldn't be swayed, my pocketbook could. The Mr suggested 7K as our upper limit and we bid on the XJR-6. Alas, we were outbid by a small margin. . Here's the beauty that someone else won and will surely enjoy -- link here. But, we might be after that XJR8, after all, since the Nikasil issue might not be as big as my limited mechanical knowledge makes it seem. And, if that falls through, there's a lovely 2002 XJ nearby (but, no supercharger, boo hoo) that looks appealing -- no Nikasil issues and a budget-friendly pricetage, but all the same luster.

As you can see the Mrs is a bit emo about not getting the XJR-6. She has been trolling Ebay all day and doing this every time she finds a XJR

My hearts broken that the 1998-2001 cars are potential money pits unless the owner have been diamond geezers about the service and knew about the issues and had them sorted.

Anybody need a kidney

Old 08-15-2010, 05:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 474 Likes on 355 Posts

Being a UK Jaguar Owner I'd say go for the V8 or X308 as they're also known. Not only do you benifit from the V8 engine, which is just as economical as the 6 if not better, you will also get better body touches and a far superior interior (in my opinion). The X300 (6) has more square features and a dated interior whereas the X308 has more rounded freatures and modern looks, whilst still retaining that timelss Jaguar look. Also the interiors are better laid out and pleasing to the eye.

As far as mechanicals go, preventive maintenance is the key. Regular oil changes etc will keep the engine happy, and a Tranny Fluid change at about 80,000-100,000 miles would help keep that in check.

As far as driving it to the in laws, I'm sure both could do it, I've driven my 308 from Liverpool to Monaco and back without any issues.

Maybe SARC will chip in on this, he is also from Scotland and moved to California.He has a X308 XJR.

Old 08-15-2010, 08:39 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,212 Likes on 1,702 Posts
Old 08-15-2010, 10:23 AM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by S&S-JAG
...As you can see the Mrs is a bit emo about not getting the XJR-6. She has been trolling Ebay all day and doing this every time she finds a XJR

My hearts broken that the 1998-2001 cars are potential money pits unless the owner have been diamond geezers about the service and knew about the issues and had them sorted...
I might suggest looking at craigslist as well. One good site to search all of the national listings is www.searchallcraigs.com. Also, you might want to look at the XJ sport. It has the look of the '99 XJR, same penta wheels, short wheel base, and suspension, just minus the supercharger. You could get a '02-'03 and still be in your price range with some good negotiating and not have any of the '98-'01 issues that you fear.

My best advise is to go drive some, even if they are not the ones you want to buy, then take your time searching. There are some great cars out there, and with a bit of time, you will be able to find a great deal.

Old 08-15-2010, 05:02 PM
ud
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Excellent point about craigslist. I settled on the 03 XJR based on the following: Wanted one that would tow 3000lbs (the 04- don't have an available hitch so they were out). Wanted one that either had the tensioners replaced or no need to replace them or was priced accordingly so I had the cash to do it right away (meaniing I'd pay $2k less for a 00 or older without it done compared to the average cost of one. Hate tranny issues so the R was more palitable for an older car as the tranny has proved to be somewhat more durable long term. Besides, they aren't that much more value wise out there.

Old 08-17-2010, 12:54 AM

That is a beautiful car, I guess it was a gift to the wife? or was it a Homer Simpson bowling ball type gift

The XJR-6 that sold on Ebay for $7500 may not have sold. I contacted the seller and he said the highest bidder did not have the money.

I forgot to ask if he replaced the tensioners and timing chains, he said I could have the original wheels but I'm thinking $7.5k is to much for a 97 XJR-6?

There is no abundance of decent XJR-8 here in California for some reason People do not seem to keep good history and think Carfax is a replacement for a folder of invoices which its not. Also what do Americans have against true synthetic oil? every time I mention it people talk to me like I'm barking mad for wasting money.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:32 AM
Veteran member

Don't even get me started on the dino vs synthetic oil debate...its taboo around here and threads get locked up faster than lindsey lohen.

Well, consider the XJ-6 carefully. It may be a 'sign'.

Old 08-17-2010, 11:49 AM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Another SoCal opinion.....

37 years of messing about in Jags has taught me a few things:

a) If your 20 inch wheels are Asian import, they were probably out-of-round when installed, and are definitely bent now.

b) (V8) Doing the top tensioners only eliminates the high-risk chain slip, costs $300.00 in parts and a couple hours' labour

c)People here don't have receipts, because few people in LA keep a car more than a couple years, in an effort to remain fashionable. Carfax is glaring in its omissions.

d) Nikasil engines were fitted sporadically 'till 2002, Sir William throws nothing away.

e) Without waking the Synthetic Dragon, early marketing attempts here in the US went along the lines of *rebuilds your engine as you drive* so people as a bit nonplussed.
Using Synth will probably stain your driveway more.

Just my tuppence.....

Quick Reply: Help me choose the right Jag for my wife!