XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Help - Need a Transmission shop in Bay Area

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 02:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help - Need a Transmission shop in Bay Area

Hello Jag Forum,

This is my first post. I have a '98 XJ8L with about 96K miles on it. I was driving in Monterey today and stopped to pick up a few grocery items. When I got back in my car and started it, I could not get the transmission to engage.

I put it in reverse and did not feel the normal subtle shift as the transmission engages. I then gave a little gas and the car lurched backwards and I heard a grinding noise. I then tried to put it in drive and the same thing happened; no subtle shift, gave a little gas, a sudden lurch forward and a grinding noise from under the car near the rear.

I did not get any error message on the dash nor any idiot lights. this is the first time this has happened and I am a little freaked. I left the car in the parking lot and got a hotel room.

Can anyone offer any advice on a good transmission shop in / near Monterey, CA or in the Bay area?

Thank you for any help.

Manfred

Old 01-21-2014, 08:54 AM
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Ive had two friends get their tranny rebuilt at RMB in Stockton with good results. Again, no personal experience with them but two people I know gave them good reviews

The following users liked this post:
Norcal Kitty (01-23-2014)
Old 01-23-2014, 05:11 PM

Thanks for the lead in Stockton, but I am in Monterey. I ended up finding a transmission shop in Seaside. I was actually referred to them by a local Jag repair shop who was very nice and said that is where they send all their transmission jobs.

Old 01-23-2014, 05:47 PM

My apologies for the long message ahead of time.

I had my XJ8 towed to a transmission shop in Seaside (next to Monterey) on Monday. By Wednesday they had dropped the pan and reported they found a lot of fine metal and that the fluid was black / burnt.

They told me to really understand what was wrong with it, they would have to drop and dis-assemble the tranny to provide a proper diagnosis and what it would take to fix it. I authorized them to proceed with that.

The shop called me today and told me the transmission was toast. A Drum was broken, clutch is burnt, separator plate has hot spots, bearings are worn, torque converter needs to be replaced and requires all new seals and gaskets.

I was dismayed when they quoted me $5196 to completely rebuild the transmission.

They broke this down as follows:

Parts:

Rebuild Kit - $ 1546 (includes A Drum, Solenoid, Vlave body etc.)
A-Drum - $ 788
Torque Converter - ?
Fluid - ?
----------------------
Total parts $3611
Labor $ 558
Bench Labor $ 720
Tax $ 306
--------------------
Grand Total $5196

They actually rebuild it in house that is why whey are adding the bench labor.

They will also warranty the new transmission for 3 years.

I am in shock here at the cost of the new transmission and am trying to figure out what to do and what my options are as this is about the car is worth.

I did get a quote from Jag Heaven in Stockton for the following:
$1500 for a used transmission with a 3 month warranty.
$3000 for a rebuilt transmission (comes loaded with the fluid) with a 2 year warranty.
Delivery from Stockton to Seaside where my transmission shop is costs $50.

I called to shop manager in Seaside and he said they could install Jag Heavens transmission but didn't quote me a labor charge to do that. He then began telling me I need to be careful and they would not guarantee anything because it was not their transmission and it there were any problems, they would charge me if something didn't work and it need to be removed again.

My concern with this is that I don't want to get caught in a finger pointing contest if something goes wrong. On the other hand, if I decided on the Jag Heaven rebuilt transmission at a cost of $3050 ($3000 + $50 delivery) it would certainly be cheaper than the $4331 ($3611 parts + $720 bench labor) the Seaside shop is quoting me.

Another option would be just to scrap the vehicle which is not what I had planned, but I am concerned about spending $4000 - $5000 since that is about what the car is worth.

I am trying to figure out what to do next and would welcome any feedback / advice that anyone might have.

Old 01-23-2014, 06:53 PM
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Has anyone tried Jasper Transmissions? When I was younger and worked at an auto parts store we sold them with out any issues and they stand behind their work.

Old Mike might be able to help, if you have time on your side, to ship it to the shop that redid his and get it shipped back? I think he was 2k all in?

Chris

Old 01-23-2014, 07:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,624 Likes on 874 Posts

Here is a used 1998 XJ8 transmission for sale on Ebay for $750 plus $125 shipping. Ebayer has 100% postive feedback.

Has an Arizonia telephone number to call for more information and warrantee (602-576-8022).

Weblink to Ebay listing:

Jaguar Automatic Transmission Tested Good | eBay

Looks like this ebayer has sold a number of BMW transmissions and received very good reviews.

The shop time to remove/install the XJ transmission is 9.2 hours. If the shop hourly rate is $90/hr then total labor to remove and install would be around $828 plus tax.

Jim Lombardi

Last edited by jimlombardi; 01-23-2014 at 08:12 PM. Reason: corrected shop time from 9.5 to 9.2 hrs
Old 01-23-2014, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by jimlombardi
Here is a used 1998 XJ8 transmission for sale on Ebay for $750 plus $125 shipping. Ebayer has 100% postive feedback.

Has an Arizonia telephone number to call for more information and warrantee (602-576-8022).

Weblink to Ebay listing:

Jaguar Automatic Transmission Tested Good | eBay

Looks like this ebayer has sold a number of BMW transmissions and received very good reviews.

The shop time to remove/install the XJ transmission is 9.5 hours. If the shop hourly rate is $90/hr then total labor to remove and install would be around $855 plus tax.

Jim Lombardi
Jim,

Thanks for the feedback and lead. I checked the ebay lead and their price is $750 + $125 shipping = $875. This seems to be a used one.

Looks like they are located in Arizona based on 602 area code. I'll give them a call in the morning to get more info on how many miles are on this unit, exactly what is included, warranty etc.

The Seaside shop quoted me $850 to remove and install so that jibes with your $855 number.

Old 01-23-2014, 08:31 PM
Veteran Member

I did an internet search using their telephone number to find out their location in Arizona - It is Scottsdale and their business name is trannys and motors
Here is the weblink to the trannys and motors (about us) webpage:

About Us

Also look at their warranty webpage - mentions:
You must replace ALL seals and gaskets prior to installation WEATHER IT NEEDS IT OR NOT , IF NOT PREFORMED THIS CONSTITUTES AN IMMEDIATE WARRANTY VOID .

You should also look at the Transmission webpage - here is part of the information on that webpage -
New fluids, filters, gaskets and seals must be installed. Linkages and detent cables must be properly adjusted.
TRANSMISSIONS are guaranteed free of defects for a period of said warranty days from the date of sale NOT DELIVERY ,IF A WARRANTY HAS BEEN PURCHASED.. We guarantee that it will shift properly, gears to be good and bearings to be good. Remember there is no reimbursement for labor to install or remove.

I would read all the information about their warranty and its conditions - especially if you are going to have to pay someone else for transmissions gaskets, seals, fluid, filter, etc
before you call them tomorrow, so you can have them give you answers to their warranty conditions.

Transmission fluid for this XJ8 can be expensive.

Jim Lombardi

Last edited by jimlombardi; 01-23-2014 at 08:48 PM.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Badbenz94
Has anyone tried Jasper Transmissions? When I was younger and worked at an auto parts store we sold them with out any issues and they stand behind their work.

Old Mike might be able to help, if you have time on your side, to ship it to the shop that redid his and get it shipped back? I think he was 2k all in?

Chris
Chris,

I'm not familiar with Jasper Transmissions. Do you know where they are located?

I read Old Mike's write up, twice. A lot of good info in there. But from what the shop manager is telling me there was more damage to mine than just to the A Drum, Seals and Gaskets. MY problem is that I have no way of knowing this right now. He did say the clutch was burnt, there were hot spots on the seperater plate, the bearings were worn and the torque converter was bad. He says my entire tranny needs to be rebuilt.

I am not a mechanic and this is the first transmission that I have ever had to replaced on any car I have owned. Most of my vehicles have served me very well with up to 362K miles on my old 280 Datsun Z and 342K of several Ford vans that I used in my business, 293K miles on a 4WD Toyota truck that used to be my diving truck.

But I did began questioning the pricing he gave. The A Drum price of $788 vs Old Mike's number of $225 for example.

I also asked him to give me a detailed breakdown of what was included in the $1546 Rebuild Kit. Once I have that I can do more of an apples to apples comparison to Old Mike's numbers.

I'm expecting the detailed list from him tomorrow.

The other big ticket part is the Torque Converter at $1028. Is this reasonable? Any other sources for this?

Thanks,

Manfred

Old 01-23-2014, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by jimlombardi
I did an internet search using their telephone number to find out their location in Arizona - It is Scottsdale and their business name is trannys and motors
Here is the weblink to the trannys and motors (about us) webpage:

About Us

Jim Lombardi

Thanks,

I will definitely call them in the morning. Looks like they also have rebuilt trannys.

Manfred

Old 01-23-2014, 08:46 PM
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Manfred,

Here is a link sir Jasper Transmissions

Hope this helps, even if your not handy and can just get a trans for someone else to install, you should b far ahead than the quote they gave you.

Chris

Norcal Kitty (01-24-2014)
Old 01-23-2014, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by mcm97
Ive had two friends get their tranny rebuilt at RMB in Stockton with good results. Again, no personal experience with them but two people I know gave them good reviews

Thank you for the lead. I will give them a call in the morning.

Old 01-23-2014, 09:05 PM
Veteran Member

I had our 2001 XJ8 transmission rebuilt at Eriksson Industries in Old Saybrook CT in Sept 2010 - total was $2432.70 including tax. Eriksson is the only authorized ZF transmission service company in CT.

(replace freewheel, valve body main pressure regulator, updated valve body with other plate, spag, forward drum, rebuild existing torque converter, fill transmission with fluid and dyno test the transmission)

I had my local indy mechanic remove/install the transmission ($550), also had to purchase additional transmission fluid after reinstall from Langan Volkswagen - 3) 1 liter transmission fluid bottles $60.42

Total cost came to $3043.12

And yes, your 1998 XJ8 has a ZF transmission.

Jim Lombardi

The following 2 users liked this post by jimlombardi:
Len Apcar (01-27-2014), Norcal Kitty (01-27-2014)
Old 01-24-2014, 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by Badbenz94
Manfred,

Here is a link sir Jasper Transmissions

Hope this helps, even if your not handy and can just get a trans for someone else to install, you should b far ahead than the quote they gave you.

Chris
Chris,

Thank you. I will be on the phone with Jasper tomorrow am to see what they can offer.

Manfred

Old 01-27-2014, 08:37 PM
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Jim, I am not far from the ZF dealer in CT and have been in touch should I need a tranny, which so far I have not. One thing I was never clear about was whether the ZF rebuilds have improved, stronger components in them compared to the original gearbox from the factory. I read a lot of worrisome stuff about A drums, valve bodies, pressure regulator valves and wonder, well, are the rebuilds exactly the same as what was originally installed, or are they improved? the answer from ZF was, kinda, sorta.

What is your understanding?

You did get a good price. If I understood the quote given to me a rebuild today is $3,450, or that 's what it was last spring. Then again, my notes are not good. Could that be a rebuild and install at Old Saybrook? Maybe.

All advice welcome. I live in complete terror this is going to happen to me far from home.