XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Help needed - Did Compression test today

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 05:49 PM
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default Help needed - Did Compression test today

Hi Folks.
Got the 98 XJR that I have been looking at inspected by a mechanic today, and was pretty happy with what I found. For the most part, the car is in great shape. Came up with a couple of issues:

Ball joints - One ball joint is definitely weak, and they other is showing some wear. Basically need to fix both. Bummer is that all I can find around here is the whole control arm assembly.

Tensioners - Finally got a chance to give it a cold start, and for the first few seconds I got a pretty nasty sounding rattle. Then it died down almost immediately, and stayed nice and quiet thereafter. Definitely needs to be done. Was prepared for this one (thanks JagaurForums!). Just need to decide if I should do the primary and secondary tensioners, or just the secondary. Probably worthwhile doing the water pump while we are in there.

Compression test - Had the mechanic do a compression test, and I got the following results:

Left Bank Right Bank
115 115
120 119
120 120
125 125

Surprisingly consistent, side to side. The spread between them is good, but I don't know what kind of numbers I should be looking for. Is the 120 area decent compression for a 70,000 mile, XJR engine?

If anyone can check these for me, I would really appreciate it!
Thanks
Erik

Old 02-18-2010, 07:35 PM
Received 2,193 Likes on 1,359 Posts

the compression is good, change the oil every 3k and use engine restore to help maintain ring seal with every oil change. dont chance the tensioners. pull the covers and inspect. if theyre plastic bodied, change them no matter what they look like. if you break 1 your engine will cost more to replace than the car is worth. DO NOT gamble with tensioners

Old 02-18-2010, 07:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,111 Likes on 932 Posts

The compression is a little low. Should be in the 150 psi range (new). The fact that they are consistent is great. BRUTAL provides the solution to the compression issue.

If you can hear the rattle I would not even crank it again. One tooth, run rough, two teeth, run badly, three teeth, bend valves.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Jaguar!

Old 02-18-2010, 08:22 PM

Hi Brutal.
Thanks so much for your input.

My plan is that should we come to an agreement on price, I will immediately get the tensioners done. Like right away! Not gonna worry about inspecting them, just get them done. Should I do both the primary and secondary tensioners, or just concentrate on the secondary ones? Does it make sense to do the water pump at the same time?

When you say "engine restore", are you thinking of any particular product?
Thanks!
Erik

Old 02-18-2010, 10:11 PM

yes its called engine restore and is about $10, I have gotten excellant result in engines to balance and increase compression.and no you really only need to worry about the secondary(upper tensioners). water pump wouldnt hurt unless theve had it done since that was the range for impeller implosion until they changed the composit. look for other issues like bushings, upper shock mounts, sway bar bushings and wheel bearings. these are all things that should be checked as these should be figured into price if theyre needing to be replaced. replace them thermostat too is you do the pump and take off the check ball from the thermostat.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by BRUTAL
yes its called engine restore and is about $10, I have gotten excellant result in engines to balance and increase compression.and no you really only need to worry about the secondary(upper tensioners). water pump wouldnt hurt unless theve had it done since that was the range for impeller implosion until they changed the composit. look for other issues like bushings, upper shock mounts, sway bar bushings and wheel bearings. these are all things that should be checked as these should be figured into price if theyre needing to be replaced. replace them thermostat too is you do the pump and take off the check ball from the thermostat.
Hey Brutal.
Thanks again! Appreciate your thoughts.
Spent about an hour under it today on a hoist, and except for the rear sway bar links, everything looked good. Front bearing had just been done. Shocks looked recent; very clean (who makes a green strut for Jags anyway?). Brakes are all good.
Check ball out of the thermostat, huh? Will keep that in mind.

For engine restore, do you mean this:

Never was a big believer in additives. Always a synthetic oil kind of guy. But it is worth keeping in mind.

Very happy with what I saw under the car. It has been well looked after!
Thanks again
Erik

Old 02-18-2010, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by test point
The compression is a little low. Should be in the 150 psi range (new). The fact that they are consistent is great. BRUTAL provides the solution to the compression issue.

If you can hear the rattle I would not even crank it again. One tooth, run rough, two teeth, run badly, three teeth, bend valves.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Jaguar!
Hi Test Point!
Sorry, I missed your post before. You must have posted just between when I started to write, and the long delay in actually posting.

Another believer in engine restore, huh? Interesting. Would have never considered trying it without you guys recommending it.

So the compression is a little low? A little low compared to new? Compared to where it should be age wise (70,000 miles)? Anything worthy of concern in your opinion there?

Yeah, gotta get the tensioner thing done ASAP. Scary stuff!
Thanks
Erik

Old 02-19-2010, 01:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

where is the best place to get tensioners at?? and the tools to do the job
how much do they cost?? so just do the secondary ones??

Old 02-19-2010, 07:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,456 Likes on 1,952 Posts

The primary chain tensioner (on the bottom chain), is not so critical, certainly it is the top ones that cause all the damage, due to the peculiar nature of the loads a V8 engine puts on these little chains. What does go, apparently are the chain slippers and guides - they crack up, so if you really want peace of mind, do the lot !!

Old 02-19-2010, 07:39 AM

120 is decent for the age/mileage and its fairly even. Off course it also deepnds on how he did the test, was it both wet and dry to check the true sealing of the rings or valves. And did he have the throttle blocked open during testing...
Useing engine restore, (the name of the additive) avail at walmart and anyauto parts store is about $10 a bottle for a v8 chenge oil and add, recheck compression after you drive a couple hundred miles . You may need to use a bottle and a half since the v8 size is not based on an 8qt engine fill. And yes you should use with every oil change.

Old 02-19-2010, 08:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,111 Likes on 932 Posts

My Nikasil engine '00 XK8 measured 145+ on all cylinders with 106k miles, warm engine, throttle open. I was very, very pleased with that.

The secondary tensioner job is very easy. If you can figure out how to get the valve cover off you can change the tensioners yourself. Other than the lock down tools it can be done with a $10 set of 1/4" sockets and a 10mm Allen wrench. The primary ones are another story. If you have not seen it, here is a link to about the best pictorial of the work I have seen. http://www.mediafire.com/?mijhydngtog

The tensioner parts are available from a Ford/Lincoln dealer to fit the '00-'02 Lincoln LS. The best price I found last Spring was $53/$56 from Silver State Ford. The parts box says JAG on it and are about 60% of the best prices from any Jaguar source. Careful, there are still an occasional eBay listing for tensioners that are the white plastic, spring assisted, 2nd generation.

The tool set is available from these guys for what amounts to $25 plus shipping. http://tiny.cc/Tools123

Old 02-19-2010, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by BRUTAL
120 is decent for the age/mileage and its fairly even. Off course it also deepnds on how he did the test, was it both wet and dry to check the true sealing of the rings or valves. And did he have the throttle blocked open during testing...
Useing engine restore, (the name of the additive) avail at walmart and anyauto parts store is about $10 a bottle for a v8 chenge oil and add, recheck compression after you drive a couple hundred miles . You may need to use a bottle and a half since the v8 size is not based on an 8qt engine fill. And yes you should use with every oil change.
Throttle was blocked open for tests. By wet, if you mean something shot into the cylinders, then no. Engine was on the coolish side when it was done.

Interesting recommendation on the Restore. Reading about it on the internet (which always has nothing but accurate and well researched information! ), the thoughts have seemed to have been mixed on it, with mostly people who have used it saying good things, while the rest are all people who have religious views on any additives. Glad to hear your results have been different.

Old 02-19-2010, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by test point
My Nikasil engine '00 XK8 measured 145+ on all cylinders with 106k miles, warm engine, throttle open. I was very, very pleased with that.

The secondary tensioner job is very easy. If you can figure out how to get the valve cover off you can change the tensioners yourself. Other than the lock down tools it can be done with a $10 set of 1/4" sockets and a 10mm Allen wrench. The primary ones are another story. If you have not seen it, here is a link to about the best pictorial of the work I have seen. http://www.mediafire.com/?mijhydngtog

The tensioner parts are available from a Ford/Lincoln dealer to fit the '00-'02 Lincoln LS. The best price I found last Spring was $53/$56 from Silver State Ford. The parts box says JAG on it and are about 60% of the best prices from any Jaguar source. Careful, there are still an occasional eBay listing for tensioners that are the white plastic, spring assisted, 2nd generation.

The tool set is available from these guys for what amounts to $25 plus shipping. http://tiny.cc/Tools123
Excellent information there.
Your 10.5:1 compression XKF at 145 makes my 8.5:1 compression XJF at 120 ish sound about right!

Good to hear about the Ford parts working. Makes sense, of course, but never would have occurred to me. I will be buying the parts locally either from Jaguar or Ford. Certainly will not be putting in any tensioners with plastic parts!

Thanks!

Old 07-19-2011, 10:36 AM
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Compression test- WFO procedure?

Hello,
how do you make sure throttle is wide open during compression test when you are alone?

<<<Mathew>>>
Originally Posted by Erik
Throttle was blocked open for tests. By wet, if you mean something shot into the cylinders, then no. Engine was on the coolish side when it was done.

Interesting recommendation on the Restore. Reading about it on the internet (which always has nothing but accurate and well researched information! ), the thoughts have seemed to have been mixed on it, with mostly people who have used it saying good things, while the rest are all people who have religious views on any additives. Glad to hear your results have been different.