XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Help needed on xjr build, paddle shift driving me nuts!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 03:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help needed on xjr build, paddle shift driving me nuts!

Hello all!
First post on a jaguar forum so please be gentle! I come from the old school ford scene so I’m a little stuck on a subject.
Currently building an xjr x308.
Shes currently wearing some 20” alloys,18% bottom pulley, 200 cell sports cat and full bespoke stainless system. She needs tlc, that’s as far as I have gotten so far as I’m still in planning stages.
Its my family and work run about so won’t be going as silly as I have previously.
What I’ll be doing is:
underside restoration,
xj6 lsd (with ascosiated mods to make it work)
18% top pulley,
upgraded cooler and pump
cold air induction

what I’m stuck with is simple, my box is on its way out, I do have two other xjrs I will be breaking to sell and also use as parts cars, so I have a box. What I would like to know is if it is feasible to fit a Mercedes W5A580 and it’s paddle shift?
I like the auto when cruising with the kids in the car but it holds back so much of the driverbility!
If not maybe the later x350 box with paddles? Ecu etc.
Anyone actually done this been searching for weeks now!
Any advice would be awsome

Old 09-11-2018, 03:58 PM

[img]blob:https://www.jaguarforums.com/8b4c4200-5b60-4a2e-973e-7b0098041ee6[/img]

Old 09-12-2018, 10:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 496 Likes on 377 Posts

Testing has shown that the "cold air intake" kits actually harm performance on these cars, the factory intake was designed very well so that it pulls air from inside the right hand fender, avoiding the hot engine bay air. Something to consider instead is upgrading the intake piping, esp around the elbow by the TB, improvements in that has been shown to give measurable gains, there should be threads somewhere in the forum.

On the paddle shifting question, there was a company that did a sort of paddle retrofit, they'd put shift buttons behind the upper two spokes of the steering wheel, and an LCD gear indicator in the dash to pair with it. Can't remember their name though, or if they sold it as a DIY kit, maybe someone else will chime in with that.

Old 09-12-2018, 12:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,368 Likes on 1,076 Posts

Wondering how the MB trans is 'on the way out'....

X350 trans will not work as they're different systems, ZF also.

Use the shifter, you do know that the left hand side is manual?

There was a company in the UK that did the button/screen conversion, I think it was either Paramount or Racing Green. Maybe talk to those guys about a kit.

Old 09-12-2018, 03:30 PM
Received 85 Likes on 51 Posts

The XJR is already equipped with the W5A580 transmission.
Furthermore, the tcm will go in to fault when it detects a different rear end ratio. There's a way to trick the system though. Really, the one of the most efficient ways to get around all of the electronics that can be compromised, is by fitting an LS engine, with a manual, and you wouldn't have to worry about the rear end ratio, but maybe a stand-a-lone system will be better for your case.

If you did trick the TCM, and kept the same transmission, then I would assume that some wiring may do the trick, but then again, I can't be certain, because the 2 position shifts 1-2 on its own, and the 4 position shifts 4-5, so there's no real way to shift 1-2, and 4-5 in the factory shifter.

Arden offers (offered?) in one of the upgrades they do. Check this video out (@ around 0:18 sec):

Old 09-14-2018, 02:33 AM

Thanks for everyone’s reply!
Move looked into the cold air induction and your bang in so I’ll be making adjustments to the piping instead, thanks for that!
Yep I know that the left hand side of the j gate is manual but I’m looking for something more usable in the sense of getting the best from the engine, I did consider the manual option (with the box that mimics the signal from the box but as this is my work/home cruiser I would like to be lazy from time to time and keep it as an auto too.
Mice found a company online that has a stand alone ecu set up for the Mercedes box with padles etc so will be looking to see if maybe a combination of the box that mimics the gearbox and the stand alone ecu for the box would mean neither would throw codes up for each other as they will be working independently (with obviously signals from TPS/abs etc
if that would be the case it may be worth while seeing if there was a 6 speed variant? I dont mind fabrication and electronics as it’s what I do for a living, I just don’t want to poor a million pounds into the car as she gets used and isn’t a show queen!

Old 09-14-2018, 02:34 AM

Please excuse the spelling, I’ve obviously not woke up yet and I dont know how to edit!