XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

help! Newbie trying to decide between 308 vs 350 and v8 or supercharged

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2020, 10:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help! Newbie trying to decide between 308 vs 350 and v8 or supercharged

hi

I always loved design and line of jag. I dont need another car but I want one. Can't decide which one yet. I want something that is easier to take care of to maintain. It is not a necessity to have a supercharged, i have other fast cars but would be nice as long as it won't cost me too much over regular v8.

MechaniMechanically which one is better? 308 vs 350.

both of them look great

Any inputs will be appreciated. I know its 308 forum so it maybe biased.....

Thanks in advance.

Old 11-16-2020, 11:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,066 Likes on 856 Posts

308 it’s supercharged or bust honestly. would not waste my time with a 3.2 or 4.0 NA and the sketchy transmission it comes with

350 is a superior car and prices reflect that. rides much better on bad roads even on a coilover conversion, has a real trunk, nicer interior and lots of cool modern stuff. just doesn’t look as good

Last edited by xalty; 11-16-2020 at 11:24 AM.
Old 11-16-2020, 11:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,013 Likes on 614 Posts

My main input on this has to be that the X308 is a beautiful looking car, whereas the X350 isn't. But of course that must be irrelevant in your case as you must not think this to be true, otherwise you would not be considering an X350 as a purchase option.

Mechanically I have to think that the X350 is "more advanced" simply because it has basically the same mechanics, but the advantage of more modern technology. Additionally, as it is a more recent model, it will be more likely to have suffered less from the ravages of time, the converse of this is that it is more likely to cost more to purchase in the first place.

Supercharger or not? A supercharger gives you more power, at the relative cost of increased complication and difficulty of repair access. So I think it has to be a personal decision, how badly do you want another 100hp over a vehicle that already has more than "adequate" power.

Last edited by Carnival Kid; 11-16-2020 at 12:28 PM.
Old 11-16-2020, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Carnival Kid
My main input on this has to be that the X300 is a beautiful looking car, whereas the X350 isn't. But of course that must be irrelevant in your case as you must not think this to be true, otherwise you would not be considering an X350 as a purchase option.

Mechanically I have to think that the X350 is "more advanced" simply because it has basically the same mechanics, but the advantage of more modern technology. Additionally, as it is a more recent model, it will be more likely to have suffered less from the ravages of time, the converse of this is that it is more likely to cost more to purchase in the first place.

Supercharger or not? A supercharger gives you more power, at the relative cost of increased complication and difficulty of repair access. So I think it has to be a personal decision, how badly do you want another 100hp over a vehicle that already has more than "adequate" power.
I agree with you mostly and that's my thought as well. I love look of 308 more than 350. As long as 308 v8 NA engine is mechanically sound and reliable, i prefer 308.

My first choice would be 2001-2003 xjs or vanden plas.

Old 11-16-2020, 11:41 AM

[QUOTE=xalty;2317073]308 it’s supercharged or bust honestly. would not waste my time with a 3.2 or 4.0 NA and the sketchy transmission it comes with

Why do you say dont waste time on 3.2 or 4.0 NA? Any reasons?

Old 11-16-2020, 12:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,066 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by 2fast2c

Why do you say dont waste time on 3.2 or 4.0 NA? Any reasons?
Slower, transmission sucks and little MPG gain.

The following users liked this post:
Z07Brandon (11-17-2020)
Old 11-16-2020, 12:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,013 Likes on 614 Posts

Originally Posted by 2fast2c
I agree with you mostly and that's my thought as well. I love look of 308 more than 350. As long as 308 v8 NA engine is mechanically sound and reliable, i prefer 308.

My first choice would be 2001-2003 xjs or vanden plas.
The X308 and X350 have basically the same engine, the difference being the X308 suffered from timing chain tensioner failure which was fixed by the time of the X350. So it is possible that when buying a X308 you may have to upgrade the timing chain tensioners (not a small undertaking).

I too prefer the Vanden Plas version, plusher inside, much more rear leg room, and IMHO a sleeker body styling.

I don't have anything against the SC versions, and as Xalty points out, they do have the sturdier Mercedes transmission.

If you don't mind the styling of the X350 I would think it is a "better buy", personally I think Jaguar styling ended with the X308.

Old 11-16-2020, 02:43 PM
Received 115 Likes on 79 Posts

I’ve owned both, and actually just stepped back down to a 308 from a 350 when the 350 died under a falling tree. I could not find a 350 during these COVID times that was a worthy successor to my ‘06 without flying to Miami, San Diego or Seattle from the DC area.

In the main, I preferred the drive/ride and engine/gearbox combination of the 350 better. While it was slightly less than Jag looking, it was still distinctive and sufficiently recognizeable. I, too, prefer the VDP version, and mine had the extra heat/AC unit for the rear seating area. Great for those in back. Trade off is a non-existent center console. You can keep a credit card and a few spare hearing aid batteries in there!

One of the most pleasant surprises was the really good fuel economy. 27mpg at highway speeds, only dropping off if you’re running over 80. I had one trip where I had a major portion cruising at 60 for about two hours over a 600-mile trip. MPG was at about 29! On the return trip, I turned off the AC and just used the fan to move air through the car. I cruised at 70-75 on 95 from Savannah to DC and the mpg — I kid you not — was a bit over 32, something like 32.7 or like that. The aluminum body and 200 fewer pounds makes a difference.

The weak point is the air shocks. In 14 years, the fronts had been replaced twice, once by me. Not a cheap proposition. If I were to still own the car I would give serious consideration to converting the shocks to conventional ... or just plan on spending an extra $1300-1500 ever four or five years. I’m sure if one had a heated garage they might last longer. I have no garage, and except for summertime, I don’t think it’s heated!

The other beef I had with the car was ergonomic. the sides of the lower front seat are very firm wings, deliberately so to help hold you in the seat while cornering. But that feature makes it harder to exit the car, particularly for very short people who have to hike themselves up a couple inches to clear the edge of the seat. I think it may have a spring running fore/aft to help hold the wing-like portion up.

All that said, I prefer the 350. Just remember to get the tranny fluid replaced every 60k. And the navigation is typical Jag junk. Too damn difficult to manipulate to be of any real use. Just use your phone.

Eliot

Old 11-16-2020, 08:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,128 Likes on 706 Posts

I think it depends what you are going to do with it and how particular you are about your cars. Of course some people can live with a little bit of imperfection and risk and are perfectly happy DD'ing old cars. The other extreme is some people have to lease a new car every two years. I'm in between but I'm a competent shade tree mechanic. Buying a 5-10 year old Jaguar is great value if you're a DIY'er. But much beyond ten or twelve years they tend to need so much that its not a good value anymore even to a DIY'er. At that point, you're maintaining it as a "hobby" and not because it makes sense.

If its going to be a daily driver, unless you can find one that's basically been through a complete mechanical refresh, the 308s are pretty old regardless of mileage. At this point, 17+ year old plastic, rubber and vinyl components are on their last legs. If its not leaking oil and squeaking and clunking around every corner, it won't be very long when subjected to a daily commute. I wish I could find the post again to give credit, but someone a few years ago wrote that the "X308 was really still a $10,000 used luxury car, that you just paid half to the seller and half to your mechanic." Of course the 350s are not that much newer but it should "buy you" a couple more years before serious repair bills start to mount (air suspension not included). If its to be a daily driver, I'd try to find one of the last 07 or 08s with low mileage and more modern technology for my own convenience.

On the other hand, if as an automotive enthusiast you just want a classic Jaguar sedan in your collection without the hassles of an antique car, along with some modern conveniences, then the X308 is the way to go. Its generally considered the ultimate evolution of the original XJ series and still looks enough like the 1968 original. And particularly, they finally worked out all the "bugs" just in time for an all new model to be introduced. 2001 and earlier you need to check the repair records to make sure they've been updated with the replacement timing chain tensioners or negotiate a discount and do it yourself immediately. And since like me, you already have other sporty cars, go for the luxury ride. Seriously, there hasn't been a true luxury sedan produced by anyone since 2011 and probably never will again in my lifetime. The X308 magic carpet ride is exquisite; Lincoln Town Car smoothness in a vehicle the size of an Accord, done without complicated air suspension and without all the drama associated with domestic land yachts of the 1970s.

Old 11-17-2020, 01:06 AM
Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

X308 XJR hands down. The supercharged version is a thrill and has the stronger Mercedes 722.6 (Made to handle over 600lb-ft of torque so it is understressed. By comparison the ZF in the NA 4.0L tops out at 320 lb-ft, near it's limit). Also check out the Vanden Plas Supercharged. Best interior, more rear legroom and a softer ride with the XJR engine. They are rare however.

The X350 XJR is slightly faster (400hp v 370 and a 6 speed trans v 5 speed) and employs double roller timing chains so it is mechanically superior. However IMO it looks like a fat Taurus and there is a little too much Ford in the interior too, reminds me of a slightly fancier Lincoln. No offense to X350 lovers but the X308 was the last true XJ.

As Jeremy Clarkson said about the X308 if you redesigned the trunk and back seat for more space you would lose the styling. "If you want more space, buy a field."

Last edited by anduha; 11-17-2020 at 01:09 AM.
Old 11-17-2020, 01:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 319 Likes on 192 Posts

X308 xjr no doubt. If you buy a late build 2002, it has all the 3rd gen timing parts from factory. As will a 2003.
If you run into trouble, it'd most likely be fuel pumps, abs module(solder repair) and cooling hoses. Once that is sorted, drive on. I'm not familiar with the x350. But for sure the suspension is more money. And to me, they aren't as pretty inside and out.

Old 11-17-2020, 07:20 PM

I just test drove and looked at 2005 xjr with 100kmiles. The car has not been taken care of. Took it to my mechanic and bunch of issues. Plus when I test drove it, it really didn't impress me even with supercharged maybe I'm so used to other cars being powerful. Plus I'm not looking for a hot rod rather classic looking sedan cruiser. So i think x350 version is out of the question now. I will stick with x308.

And hunt continues....