XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Help please with audio wiring for steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 03:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help please with audio wiring for steering wheel

Can anyone please offer some advice....

1998 XJ8 4.0

We have just purchased this6.2 " In Dash Sat Nav 2 din Double Car Stereo DVD Player GPS Bluetooth 3G Radio | eBay aftermarket DVD/sat nav/stereo.

We bought a suitable fascia adapter which we have modified and the stereo side is all working great when tested.

Problem we are having is that we can't figure out the wiring side for the steering wheel function.

We understand that the wiring from the stereo contains "KEY1" and "KEY2" wires which would go to the volume up and down, and also a "GROUND" wire for the ground connection.

How do we go about making the other functions on the audio steering wheel control side work please?

Is some sort of adapter required or are they now just written off?

Many thanks in advance xxx

Old 04-29-2015, 04:54 PM
Received 260 Likes on 210 Posts

Would love to see the install you have. That aside, most units I've seen require an adapter to convert the steering wheel controls, lead through a bus connection of some sort into a radio specifically designed for that. I didn't look TOO closely at the radio you linked, but unless they have a dedicated wiring harness for steering controls, then it's possible you'll either a) need another adapter to do so, or b) might not be able to use the steering wheel controls at all if the mfr of that unit doesn't offer any compatibility to do so. Have you contacted them by chance to see if they have any units themselves that could work with the radio?

Old 04-30-2015, 03:52 AM

The stereo should be steering wheel compatible according to the manufacturers info, it certainly has 3 wires for analogue steering wheel function ( Ground, Key 1 and Key2 )

I can't say that we have ever used all of the functions on the controls though - certainly never used the phone button, rarely use the search up and down buttons lol

I will look into harness adapters today and maybe just wire the volume up and down for the time being xx

Old 04-30-2015, 04:53 AM
Received 221 Likes on 172 Posts

From what I can recall, and you'll be able to check with the link below, the steering wheel controls are resistors, and there is no key1, key2 etc, but rather a different voltage/current? is returned based on which button is pressed.
Depending on what your headunit is expecting to see, you may find you need a programmable universal steering wheel control adapter to get it working

JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

One day I'll get around to putting this link in my signature, I'm sure every third post of mine links to it!
Amazingly helpful... whoever set this up needs knighting or something.

+1 on more info about your install though. Would love to see how you got around the clearance issues.

Old 04-30-2015, 07:36 AM

Thanks Grandell will have a read of that in a min

The stereo was an early fathers day gift for my husband, as was the modified double DIN fascia that I bought ( and the already bought ISO plug harness and the soon to be bought adapter hahah )

We have to modify the fascia further to get it to fit as we would like and have also moved the cruise control and sports mode buttons to sit in the fascia either side of the stereo as it looked a little bare lol

Will post some pics later on of the progress so far - still needs refining and stuff but will give a general idea.

Have to say though, for a cheap, non-branded aftermarket stereo without any amp or sub added, the sound it puts through the stock speakers is beautiful Very crisp from anything from Mozart to Marylin Manson hehexx

Old 04-30-2015, 03:23 PM
Received 221 Likes on 172 Posts

which fascia kit did you buy? Was it the single din one, and you've modified it to suit?

Old 04-30-2015, 04:24 PM

Jaguar XJ8 1998?2002 Car CD Stereo Fascia Surround Panel Adaptor CT24JG06 | eBay

This one hun and we have had to cut it etc to fit Have to say, as a replacement fascia the fit wasn't 100% spot on but a bit of a nip and tuck seems to have dealt with that x

Old 04-30-2015, 04:34 PM

( also - when we have stripped various parts of the car out to run wiring through for rear screens/reverse camera etc we have come across some wiring that doesn't actually go to anything!! In the A posts, there are wires in a rubber loom that stop about 2/3rds up the door with a small white plug on. Also in the overhead consile where the lights are in front of the sunroof, there are illuminates that don't go to anything? What could they be from lol ) xx

Old 05-08-2015, 10:14 AM

Okay we have hit a stop. Cannot figure the wiring for the steering controls and hubby adamant he doesn't want or need a harness adapter.

We have established that we have 5 wires into a white plug at the stereo end of the loom. We also have 5 "e,pty" slots in the male side of our plug.

Does anyone have any deal of the wiring colours for this plug lol. The diagrams I have found tell me that I have a BK ground wire, spliced to BO into the cassette and that we also have a PY wire running from cassette into header unit.

There is not one on the link for the likely wires in the plug itself xx

EDIT plug numbers/wires as follows

Top left

Bottom left

Main plug

1 blue white trace pin #1
2 purple yellow trace pin #2
3 red pink trace pin # 3

Bottom
3 blue yellow trace pin #12
4 green yellow trace pin #13
5 purple orange trace pin #14
6 purple pink chase pin #15
7purple red trace pin #16

Last edited by fabfingers; 05-08-2015 at 10:24 AM.
Old 05-09-2015, 03:08 PM

Couple pics off my iPad xx

Attached Thumbnails Help please with audio wiring for steering wheel-image.jpg  
Old 05-09-2015, 03:11 PM

Bit closer

Attached Thumbnails Help please with audio wiring for steering wheel-image.jpg  
Old 01-31-2018, 01:52 PM

can anybody help what colour is the wiring for the steering control on a Jag X-Type

Old 02-01-2018, 02:59 PM
Received 260 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by dave1152
can anybody help what colour is the wiring for the steering control on a Jag X-Type
You'll probably have a better response in the appropriate forum

Old 02-01-2018, 03:13 PM

yea new to this thanks