XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Help Timing Chain Parts Update

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 11:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help Timing Chain Parts Update

My father has a 1999 VDP and sadly we believe the lowers have failed, the previous owner said that the secondary/upper tensioners were replaced. We will have the engine apart in a few days, but until then I would like to get some help on parts. I have read a lot of threads and posts about timing chains jobs. Most of what I have found has all been a few years old. So my main question is how do I tell which kit I need, and what are the most advanced parts. We will change the water pump, thermostat, etc, basically doing the whole job. We just are unsure of what parts are the newest and the proper parts list/kit for his car. And if anyone could suggest where to find the tool kit or more so if the cheaper tool kits on ebay are ok for the job. I am trying to find more recent info and am coming up with very little so far. Thank you guys for your help in getting my dad's car back on the road.

Old 10-20-2013, 07:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,111 Likes on 932 Posts

Like the cars, the parts haven't changed much in 10 years. The year '99 was somewhat of a crossover year for the engines and the first thing to verify is whether you have a AJ27, which it should be or the earlier AJ26. That affects gasket sets more than anything. All the other hard parts should still transfer over from a Lincoln LS / Ford Thunderbird '00 to '02 and even the gaskets do if AJ27. Don't forget the new, shorter tensioner bolts.

The low cost eBay tool sets seem to be very attractive but I don't think I have seen a report on the crank pulley removal part.

Many cars had plastic tensioners replaced with plastic tensioners. Might want to pull a valve cover first.

Old 10-20-2013, 01:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 536 Likes on 415 Posts

I just did this job. Check out my thread here- https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...s-list-100445/

The attachment has all the parts. BTW, "SC" stands for supercharger. However the tensioners and most parts are the same for a non SC motor.

Last edited by avt007; 10-20-2013 at 01:46 PM.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:33 PM

thank you guys for you quick response. so the lincoln ls parts will fit, the guides looked a little different to me, is there a certain year group that will only fit or just any ls parts with the same 3.9L engine?
Thanks

Old 10-22-2013, 07:07 PM
Veteran Member

The Ford/Lincoln engines had the same tensioner failure problems as their British cousins. That is why the later '00 up reference. The Jaguar 4.0L and the Ford/Lincoln 3.9L are really the same engines with only bolt on differences.

Old 10-22-2013, 10:12 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did this job. Got my parts from Ford Dealership also. Glad its over now! Saved a ton though... Black Onyx link saved my butt!

Old 10-23-2013, 08:30 PM

Cfraijo do you have a list of the Ford parts that you used?

I noticed that my dads VVT Solenoids are in a different place than mine. On mine they are on the front of the engine on my dads the are on the top? My car is a 98 so I am guessing that it is the AJ26 and that his since it is different is the AJ27. Was wondering if this could be an identifying change between the engines?

Thanks yet again.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:25 PM
Received 8,134 Likes on 4,908 Posts

The Lincoln LS gaskets are not the same as the AJ26 cam cover gaskets.
You need the orange and grey gaskets and the double 'O'ring spark plug seals. (2 together)

The LS gaskets will work for the AJ27/AJ28 engines and have the single 'O'ring style spark plug seals.

bob gauff

Old 10-24-2013, 03:45 PM

So then I will need the LS gasket kit for my dad's car which is a 99, and I believe to have the AJ27... We are draining the oil and antifreeze tonight and will get the cam covers off to be sure before we order any parts, then we will price parts from the local lincoln/mercury/ford dealer. Also are going to see if we can get one of our friends at the dealership to lend us the tools to do the job, I am guessing that the tools are the same. Has anyone who has ordered the parts online had any problems with parts warranties? My neighbor, ex-mechanic who just retired this year, said that they stopped ordering parts online years ago because they kept getting people who would not warranty the parts, even when the parts where installed professionally and failed only a month later, causing more problems in the engine. Has anyone else heard of this?

Old 10-24-2013, 03:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 869 Likes on 716 Posts

bought the parts online from Christophers, no problems. But you can get the same parts from the Lincoln dealer. Not really sure you need a new gasket unless yours is already leaking. Must be very careful in reinstalling the old gasket, making sure the gasket is correctly seated in the grooves.

JAGUAR, LINCOLN items in CHRISTOPHER'S FOREIGN CAR PARTS store on eBay!

Old 10-24-2013, 07:11 PM

Well, it is an AJ27 engine for sure, but bad news is that none of the tensioners failed. The secondary chain on the drivers side broke. It looks as though the previous owner that had the secondary tensioners changed did it the cheap zip tie method and that chain failed, I can even see where the tie link broke. We are going to try and do a compression test and a leak down test. no sure how to do these but I will research that. We are looking at a parts car for an engine if the engine is shot, and then hopefully the parts car will work out.

Thanks for the help will update when we know more.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:25 PM
Veteran Member

A zip tie replacement method of the tensioner had nothing to do with a broken chain. There is no tie link in the OEM chain.

The following users liked this post:
Satakewawa (10-25-2013)
Old 10-24-2013, 08:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,988 Likes on 2,125 Posts

+1, the problem was likely an aftermarket chain.

Old 10-25-2013, 10:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 869 Likes on 716 Posts
Default Broken Secondary timing chain

Wow: only the second broken secondary chain I have seen since joining this forum in April (but second this month). For the pros: is this a rarity (both his and Danielsand's were 98s) or mileage related?

Old 10-25-2013, 12:40 PM
Received 282 Likes on 176 Posts

Yup, this is uncanny. TWO this month, and on the opposite sides (mine broke on pass side). As you probably read, I bought the whole kit and kabbodle from Christopher's on Ebay. The vendor comes highly recommended. Total cost $299.- with free ground shipping. I'm still waiting on the package, but I am not in any hurry (my cat is my pleasure ride, I drive S430 for my DD).

I don't know if it's mileage related,.....my Garfield has just shy of 90K on the clock, and WELL maintained throughout it's life. Luckily, the compression test came back at 120PSI on all jugs, and she will be on the road in no time.

Old 10-25-2013, 03:13 PM
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by motorcarman
The Lincoln LS gaskets are not the same as the AJ26 cam cover gaskets.
You need the orange and grey gaskets and the double 'O'ring spark plug seals. (2 together)

The LS gaskets will work for the AJ27/AJ28 engines and have the single 'O'ring style spark plug seals.

bob gauff
I have a 01 XJR build of 10/00. My car now has 83k miles. I bought it w 43. I have never changed the tensioners..so I'm sure they were never done. I was looking for videos of the noise but haven't found it yet. Regardless, are these still the correct numbers I can order from Ford for the Jag?

2W9Z-6K254-BA
2W9Z-6K254-CA

Thanks!

Chris

Old 10-25-2013, 06:07 PM
Veteran Member

Yes but don't forget the 4 bolts. They are shorter and the original ones will bottom out and not seal the oil pressure.

Bolt part number, 4 needed.
2W500301-S300

Old 10-25-2013, 06:17 PM

Wow danielsand, sorry to hear you are going through this too. My car is a 98 and runs great currently, but my dad's is a 99 and is the one that is down. Checked tonight that two of the valves are loose and you can move them up and down with your finger, without taking the exhaust cam off. This leads me to believe that these valves are at least bent and that the engine needs an overhaul, looks like my dad and I are in for a lot more work. Looking at an engine head gasket kit, and a basic timing chain kit now verses another car and using his old as a parts car.

I also just want to take a moment to thank all you for sharing your knowledge and helping me with better understanding this. It is a true blessing to have such a knowledgeable and friendly sounding board in this situation. It is helping me and my dad out a lot. My dad has been so frazilled by the situation that he has not gotten on his jaguarforums account on the topic. Thanks for all your help guys/gals! =)

Old 10-26-2013, 04:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,360 Likes on 1,070 Posts

It's very odd to see chains fail, after all these are not made from plastic like the early tensioners that *will* fail.
No answer, but instead of a quick fix, these chain failures just make me more inclined to suggest chains/guides and tensioners are replaced as a matter of course. Any other engine requiring work for example an XK 6 cylinder, it gets fresh timing equipment and new oil pump.
Jaguar have produced an upgraded timing system for the early engines, and the later 27's have morse style chains and drive sprockets, these I would replace too to a 26 engine. They're brilliant engines just like the XK so why skimp? The value of the car dictates this.
If it was a $60k car it would get the works. Keep it cheap, it's only worth $3k....Ok.....how long do you intend driving it? if it's a lifer, do the lot, if it's just a bus, skimp and pray.

Old 10-27-2013, 05:07 PM

I am having a very hard time pulling the crank pulley off... do any of you know any tricks?

Quick Reply: Help Timing Chain Parts Update