Old 10-27-2013, 09:38 PM
Received 8,134 Likes on 4,908 Posts

TSB 303-10

bob gauff

Old 10-29-2013, 06:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,360 Likes on 1,070 Posts

Originally Posted by Satakewawa
I am having a very hard time pulling the crank pulley off... do any of you know any tricks?
No tricks just use the right tool, the SPX pulley puller is the one, makes life easy.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:52 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just an update, we have the tools ordered, and are just waiting for them to arrive. Our plan is to remove the heads and take them to a local mechanic. Then go from there.

Old 11-04-2013, 10:04 PM

We just got the tools in today and got the bolt of the front, while we where pulling the crank pulley one of the bolts broke, this job keeps getting funner by the day...

Old 11-06-2013, 10:08 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry for getting back so late.
As far as the parts are concerned, I still have the bags that the parts came in, although Christopher's sells a Kit that I believe would be cheaper than buying them individually, like I did.

Secondly, I took the Crank pulley off by connecting an impact socket onto the bolt with a breaker bar and had my wife turn the engine. Make sure to remove all the coils and or the harness/wires to the coils. You don't want the car to actually start but just to turn.

Old 11-07-2013, 09:40 AM
daG
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I have only just viewed your thread and hope this is not too late.

Had secondary chain tensioner problem earlier this year per my 24th April post https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...clatter-94165/

You will see from this my problems removing crank pulley and solutions.

Here follows brief Extract:

"Crankshaft pulley bolt removal. A job for a strapping lad, requiring a surprising amount of force applied on the end of a 3ft extension bar (engine locked as previously described).

Crankshaft pulley removal. No universal harmonic balance remover so made what I thought was a very strong tool. Wasted a day bending heavy plate and bolts with lotsa frustrations. Borrowed UHBR from mechanic friend. Removed pulley in minutes (it fits onto a tapered shaft with a slit liner that compresses when pulled tight).The bottom line is don’t improvise in this area, borrow or buy the right tool. Returned UHBR to friend to ensure he remains one."

I also had near chain failure. My secondary tensioner had broken completely allowing loose chain to slap against housing wall resulting in stretched side link plates which would have failed unless changed. I was lucky to identify it and replace before terminal engine failure.

A little belated perhaps but hopefully of some help.
Good luck,
John

Old 11-08-2013, 09:48 AM

John, I agree the correct tools are better to use. We broke one of the bolts when we where trying to pull of the pulley. Now we are stuck with the bolt in the pulley, we tried drilling it out, but the bit started going towards the pulley and we don't want to ruin the pulley so we stopped, and are trying to think outside the box. The saddest part is the secondary chain broke on the drivers side, so we also have to take the heads off to have them inspected, with that said, the tensioners are the third gens and still look new. Still going to replace them, so we don't have to worry about them.

Old 11-11-2013, 05:15 AM
daG
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I appreciate that it doesn't help in your current situation, but as the latest generation metal secondary tensioners are already fitted this suggests that when previous owner replaced the original plastic ones there could have been chain damage/link stretching caused by tensioner breaking up and resultant loose chain slapping against the housing (as per my experience) which they didn't pick up. This would account for such an unusual failure.

Tough luck on your sheared pulley extractor bolt but no bright ideas to offer. If you can't centre your drill bit it sounds like your bolt is through hardened. However if case hardened to reduce shear potential it should have softer core. Is it possible to run pilot drill into the centre as a guide for your larger drill bit or even perhaps for use with a reverse thread type extractor bit.

Knowing the torque necessary to remove this pulley it cannot be unknown occurrence and I would hope other forum members can advise with the benefit of their experience.

I will be interested to hear how you resolve this.

Good luck, John