XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

High Gearbox Temperature

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 05:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Gearbox Temperature

Hi there everybody,

It looks like I have a new question concerning an old problem.

My car (1998 XJ 8) frequently displays a warning message:High Gearbox Temperature. I have seen a few mechanics about it and the most popular diagnosis was an electrical/sensor problem, rather than actual issue with the gearbox.

The rational behind that logic was that if that warning appears and you stop immediately and turn off the engine, only to start it less than a minute later, the warning disappears. If it were a true problem with the gearbox temperature, the sensor should still read an elevated temperature and thus display the same warning after restarting the engine less then a minute later? Would that assumption be correct?

The reason i am asking is that i am about to go on a 500 mils trip. The car drives perfectly normal, so, i guess I am trying to get a fix on what type,of issues i could be facing if this not an electrical/sensor issue.

Imknow that is is a very broad based request, but any pointers or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

Old 12-08-2012, 10:57 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

i have seen the sensor be the problem many times and it is a easy repair remove pan and replace harness inside thats where the sensor is and replace pan and fluid and you should be great.

Old 10-08-2014, 09:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default high gearbox temp.

By your logic if you turned off the car for a minute and warning still displayed you got a problem.

Fact is you just wont know for sure. Bring it in for tranny servic. It could need fluid, or new harness which holds sensor.
Originally Posted by BadCat
Hi there everybody,

It looks like I have a new question concerning an old problem.

My car (1998 XJ 8) frequently displays a warning message:High Gearbox Temperature. I have seen a few mechanics about it and the most popular diagnosis was an electrical/sensor problem, rather than actual issue with the gearbox.

The rational behind that logic was that if that warning appears and you stop immediately and turn off the engine, only to start it less than a minute later, the warning disappears. If it were a true problem with the gearbox temperature, the sensor should still read an elevated temperature and thus display the same warning after restarting the engine less then a minute later? Would that assumption be correct?

The reason i am asking is that i am about to go on a 500 mils trip. The car drives perfectly normal, so, i guess I am trying to get a fix on what type,of issues i could be facing if this not an electrical/sensor issue.

Imknow that is is a very broad based request, but any pointers or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

Old 10-10-2014, 06:52 PM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

probably just a sensor, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

one issue is the car may limit the capability and gear use of the trans when this warning is displayed, I am not sure about that however

as others have said best bet is to replace the necessary wiring and/or have the problem diagnosed when time/funding allows

thank you

Old 10-10-2014, 08:20 PM
Received 8,179 Likes on 4,934 Posts

I have never seen a gearbox with an actual HIGH TEMP.
I HAVE replaced many X308 gearbox internal harnesses for the sensor fault.
The thermistor is part of the harness.

I guess if you were pulling a trailer or really abusing the car you could have an actual high temp.

bob gauff