XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

!! High Revs for 10+ seconds at cold start !! 98 XJ8

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 10:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default !! High Revs for 10+ seconds at cold start !! 98 XJ8

Im getting high revs (noticed it about 2 months ago) now like 1100rpm for on my old 98 at cold start, where it hangs there for about 10 seconds then slowly erks its way down to 800rpmfor regularidle. This only happens on cold start overnight, and I know it didnt do that before when I bought it. Any clues on what this could be?

Posted for a quick response if possible, as I had read about it before, but I dont believe there was a definitive answer.

Ive let the 04 chill for a while and have been driving my old 98 around for the past2 weeks. Thanks guys hope all is well, I still plan on picking up an 08 spring of next year.

BTW Good time to be an American, history was made last night! Congrats Dems!

Old 11-05-2008, 11:00 AM
Default RE: !! High Revs for 10+ seconds at cold start !! 98 XJ8

Sorry, can't help with the start-up problem, although it actually sounds fairly normal to me....

But I did just want to add my congratulations to yours for Obama. It is historic, and over here in UK we're just as excited about it as you guys in many ways. We have a saying here that whatever happens in the States always comes over here a while later, so I'm sure we'll be seeing the benefit of a new era affecting us all pretty soon.

He's certainlya good talker if nothing else, that speech was spot on. We'll have to wait & see if he can deliver now, although I feel fairly sure he will. We tend to shun all the razzamatazz over here, usually finding it a bit OTT, but I have to say that I found watching it all on the TV coverage here this morning quite energizing and, untypically for a Brit, quite emotional too. At leat America can nowrelax in the knowledge that you're not going to be "a heartbeat away" from having Ms Palin in the White House!!

Old 11-05-2008, 11:14 AM

Hah wow so that's normal? Definitely odd as I know it wasn't that loud when I got it, I would have noticed (maybe i'm going crazy hah) Anyways if so that's good to know, it's a lot louder at 11000rpm. Thanks man!

Also yeah no joke, i'm 25 as of Sept14th and I voted for the first time yesterday. I think this is a huge victory for the nation as a whole, durned republicans got jacked out of the Senate and House also. Woot!

Old 11-06-2008, 01:43 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Totally normal.
ORIGINAL: ionizer
Also congrats on your vote, and thanks as well. If ya don't vote, you've got no right to bitch!
+10

Old 11-07-2008, 09:29 AM

Hah ok, Sweet! Im glad to hear that, im guessing its just something else being very noisey at startup, probably those lovely timing chains beating around cause I can hear the tick on the rotation again (oh baby! hah) I can't hear the 04 do that but theyre a lot more quiet and muffled at startup than x308 it appears. I also got a new drive belt cause my old one kinda chirpped off and on when it started getting cold again here in Missouri, I hope its notthe tensioner pulley heh! Also got a new metal waterpump andthermostat yay!

Whatever it is though, its rough hah! Just started about a month ago or so. I hadall 4 tensionersand guides/blades replaced about 3 months ago.Should have done the whole thing and just bought the kit (only would have been $220 for all 4 chains seperate) but opted not to after seeing the existing chains (oops for me and my mechanic). Its at the shop now getting just the chains done this time as ive no clue what else could make it still rattle besidesthose chains at coldstart? They looked fine at the time, buti'mguessing they possibly got stretched out and create a lot of sag now when it sits, more so than usual.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/m_51628/tm.htmIf you go there you can see just how bad my primary tensioners were, so ive no doubts it stretched those secondary chains out? It was ticking pretty loud right before it was done, I thought I got lucky getting the new ones replaced when I did, now its time for round 2! :P

Lesson learned here is if you're going to do the timing job on these older cars, get the whole kit for $750 and do the whole deal at once!

@ ionizer

Hah thanks, yeah maybe i'll get to continue working now!That funny cause my generation has no clue whats up politically, they STILL vote for whomever their parents tell them to. This time the republicans can take a seat. They need to remember tokeep religion out of politics already!