XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Highway Vibration - 03 XJR

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2020, 09:05 AM
Received 197 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Highhorse
I highly recommend to NOT install Goodyear Eagles. What a horrible tire, poor traction (especially on wet roads) for a so called performance tire and balance out of the factory was bad. All the counter weights on them vs the Michelin's is worlds different. I only had something like 10k on those when I dump trucked them.
Which model of Eagles? That's interesting, I run Goodyears on most of my other vehicles and have never had an issue with them. If it comes down to needing to replace tires not sure what I'm going to do. Really don't feel like putting $1000 worth of tires on this car. Same goes for wheels, if any are actually bent and cant be repaired that could be a problem.

Old 04-21-2020, 03:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,794 Likes on 1,316 Posts

If you have a bent wheel and you can't see the problem, a wheel repair place can fix it. They do it for about 1/2 the cost of a new wheel. Got mine refinished for $100 ea.

As for the Eagles, the GT's.

Old 04-21-2020, 04:05 PM

I guess the best case scenario at this point would be a repairable bent wheel...we'll see when I get them to the shop.

I actually have the Eagle GT Sport (slightly different) on my 2004 Impala SS daily driver and they are wearing very well and are very smooth. I will concede that I dont push that car hard at all so no clue on how they handle when pushed, but as a commuter tire I've enjoyed them.

On another note, your wheels are in absolutely amazing condition! I really like the Pentastar wheels. I like them more than the Ateroid wheels in fact which I'm sure most do not agree with. I love those green center caps as well. Was looking for a set of them for mine but came across a nice red set and have those installed for now. Just wanted some color rather than the standard silver caps they put in the BBS wheels.

Old 04-21-2020, 05:16 PM
Veteran Member

That's how good the wheel repair places are, they do a great job refinishing the rim and applying some new lipstick on them. Those were fairly freshly done there, maybe 6 months?...they look just as good still, 6 yrs later. I'm thinking of going with a gun metal grey now.
Be sure when you go looking for one they have pics of before and after. I spent a solid week researching them before I settled on this guy (Olympits) here in Orlando. He had been in business for awhile and ironically was almost across the street from my Jag Tech who also uses him.

Old 04-21-2020, 06:29 PM

There is a really good wheel repair/alignment shop here that I've been to so no worries with that. Once I get the parts installed I'll pay them a visit for the alignment anyway and have them check out the wheels. I have a suspicion that one is a tad tweaked. I cant tell with my eye, but there is a little bit of damage to the outer trim ring so they must have hit something with it. Incidentally that the the wheel that I moved to the front and now the vibration is worse, hopefully that's it.

I did some more research and came up with a few threads on a BMW forum where guys had intermittent vibrations on the highway and it ended up being a sticking caliper or collapsed brake hose. They said one wheel was much hotter than the others after driving and once swapping the caliper it was all good. I guess that's a possibility, so I'll give that a check with the infrared thermometer once I get it back on the road.

Old 04-21-2020, 07:46 PM

Was looking through the service manual that M. Stojanovic sent over (thanks again!) and noticed something I had not seen before:

It states that when using non Jaguar approved tires to inflate to 44psi cold front & rear. Obviously the tires on my car are not the Jaguar approved Pirelli P-Zeros but I would imagine that 44psi would be pretty high and cause a pretty harsh ride. I currently have mine at 34psi and plan to lower them as it definitley rides rougher than when I had them down at 30-32psi. Just thought this was interesting and wondering if anyone actually followed this.

Old 04-21-2020, 09:39 PM
Veteran Member

Well, your talking 20 something year old tire technology info. Tires now a days are way advanced to back then, different belt wraps, tread patterns and stiffer sidewalls just to mention a few. So I'd take that with a grain of salt.

Old 05-04-2020, 03:49 PM

OK guys, a little update on my situation. I spent the day Saturday replacing a lot of parts; front shock mounts (upper & lower), sway bar links & bushings, tie rod ends, rear shock mounts (upper & lower), upper spring cushion, and rear sway bar links and bushings. The rear shock mounts were completely gone, nothing left. That was definitley the source of the banging I heard over bumps in the rear, the car is completely silent now with no rattles, bangs, etc.

Dropped it off this morning for an alignment and to get the wheels checked. They just called a fe wminutes ago and said suspension was in great shape and car aligned perfectly, but two of the wheels were bent on the side lip. I knew one was bent badly, so not surprised that two of them are. I told them to keep the car and fix the wheels. Not the cheapest shop in town ($100 per wheel), but they have a great reuptation and know what they're doing. I briefly thought about just getting another set of wheels, but finding something to fit over the Brembos is not easy (or cheap), and I like the original BBS wheels. Crossing my fingers that this solves my issue. The guy at the shop said he drove the car and it definitely feels like a wheel/tire issue and he's pretty sure the bent wheels are causing it, but I guess we'll see. They will have to keep it for a day or two so I'll be sure to report back once it's (hopefully) fixed.

Old 05-04-2020, 05:51 PM
Veteran Member

$100 is cheap, here in FL they tend to run $125-155 per wheel barring the damage....though I did get mine done for $100, but it was just stripping and repainting them.

Old 05-05-2020, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by Highhorse
$100 is cheap, here in FL they tend to run $125-155 per wheel barring the damage....though I did get mine done for $100, but it was just stripping and repainting them.
Good to hear. I mean, if this fixes my issue then it's money well spent and I can't complain. Should have the car back by Thursday at the latest, hoping for the best.

Old 05-05-2020, 02:48 PM

Picked the car up this afternoon and it's driving beautifully. They fixed two bent wheels and re-balanced the others (the other shop must not have done them properly) along with an alignment and it's driving perfectly straight & smooth. I couldnt be happier, in love with this car again. Had it on the highway for a bit and no vibration at any speed.

Thanks again for all of the help and advice guys, really appreciate it. Now on to other fun projects with the car.

The following 2 users liked this post by 87LC2:
Highhorse (05-05-2020), xalty (05-05-2020)
Old 05-05-2020, 06:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 374 Posts

Congrats! If only my vibration issue was so simple to solve... Guess I'll see how/if the LBJ helps.

Also on the topic of tires mentioned earlier, I put Conti extreme contact DWS06 tires on the front a while ago and was pretty happy with them. Massive improvement in ride quality, bridge seams and similar things no longer felt like they were crashing through the front end. Previous tires up front were Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS, fantastically grippy for the class, but a harsh ride, and severe radial pull the shop wouldn't warranty.

Last edited by nilanium; 05-05-2020 at 09:32 PM.
Old 05-05-2020, 08:46 PM

I hope you get it figured out. It was completely ruining my otherwise awesome experience in owning this car. I do a lot of highway driving and just can't stand when something is not right at speed. Please post back when you get it figured out.

With the wheels fixed I'm enjoying the tires much more. I did take the car out this evening and even after sitting for 5-6 hours they were slightly flat spotted but it went away by the end of my street. I think the soft sidewalls and heavy Jag causes this, but as long as it goes away quickly it wont bother me much.

Old 05-05-2020, 09:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,060 Likes on 851 Posts

Originally Posted by 87LC2
BMW forum where guys had intermittent vibrations on the highway and it ended up being a sticking caliper or collapsed brake hose.
BMWs also used to shred control arm bushings like no tomorrow. One not particularly worn bushing would send you straight into a death wobble, especially when braking.

LCA bushings are a pain on these cars but I’m sure changing them would improve the ride.

Last edited by xalty; 05-05-2020 at 10:01 PM.
The following users liked this post:
nilanium (05-06-2020)
Old 05-07-2020, 11:40 AM

Drove the car 40 miles on the highway to work today and it drives beautifully, exactly as it should. No vibrations at any speed and the car is an absolute pleasure to drive. The new suspension components helped a lot with the overall ride quality as well. Couldnt be happier.

For anyone reading this thread in the future, the issue ended up being two bent wheels. Had them repaired and all is well.

Old 11-14-2020, 11:33 PM
Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

I'm extremely late to the party here but I'm dealing with the same issue and it's driving me nuts. When I first got my XJR it had a slight clunk going into reverse and a whine from the front left wheel. Replaced the front wheel bearings and transmission mount and that improved things. Then I got new tires, Goodyears which seem to have mixed reviews here. Soon after the highway vibrations started again. I noticed my lower ball joints had some play and the car was tracking a bit so I decided to replace the whole lot, control arm bushings (lowers were torn), stabilizer bar bushings, subframe mounts(one was shredded), ball joints, tie rod ends, motor mounts (both collapsed) and stabilizer bar links. I also replaced the upper shock mounts a while back and installed green Bilstein shocks. Then I got an alignment and wheel balance. The engine idles much smoother but the ride is actually worse although the steering and cornering feel tighter. I can feel EVERY SINGLE bump and I know the XJRs have a harsher ride but this is ridiculous. Highway vibration still present

The driveshaft has no play so at this point I will have to go with the suggested road force wheel balance and have the rims inspected. If that doesn't do it might have to chuck the Goodyears. I even went back and made sure every single suspension bolt I removed was torqued an all were spot on. It's amazing how sensitive these things are. Never had these issues on my XJ8 but I attribute that to higher sidewall tires which are severely underrated.