XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Holy smokes, trying to sell my XJR, getting responses from scammers

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2014 | 06:57 PM
|
Veteran Member
Default Holy smokes, trying to sell my XJR, getting responses from scammers

So I've posted my XJR on Craigslist and Ebay. I've had 2 people "change their minds" about what type of car they want when they realize the address I gave them to meet is the local Police Department parking lot.

I guess that pretty much says they were up to no good. When I called one after they missed their appt, they said they changed their minds and wanted the "V6" version and not the V8.. riiiiiiiiight.....
Lots of emails of people sounding like they want me to believe they could afford this car, but very few actual real potential buyers.

Now my ads say cash in hand for test drive and driver's license will be verified at local PD before test drive, and the emails are far fewer, but now only more "qualified" people are responding.

Has anyone else experienced this, or is it just me?

Old 05-10-2014 | 07:42 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by WaterDragon
So I've posted my XJR on Craigslist and Ebay. I've had 2 people "change their minds" about what type of car they want when they realize the address I gave them to meet is the local Police Department parking lot.

I guess that pretty much says they were up to no good. When I called one after they missed their appt, they said they changed their minds and wanted the "V6" version and not the V8.. riiiiiiiiight.....
Lots of emails of people sounding like they want me to believe they could afford this car, but very few actual real potential buyers.

Now my ads say cash in hand for test drive and driver's license will be verified at local PD before test drive, and the emails are far fewer, but now only more "qualified" people are responding.

You may be very pleased to hear that you are not alone!

I've even had 'Scammers' offer me Full price for a Car they've never seen! and if a 'Scammer' bought it on an Auction Site.

They could theoretically take it home, to who really knows where and then complain that it's not how you described it! where maybe they would get their money refunded! (While they still have your Car!)

From my own experience (Limited as it is!) Too many 'draconian' Terms and Conditions, can frighten even genuine buyers away.

So I keep those right out of the Advert, to encourage as many potential buyers as possible.

But when I've had responses, the first thing I do is to ask them for their Full name and address and land line telephone number and mention that I do this in order to avoid 'Scammers'

Having applied that 'Filter' you will always get Tire/Tyre Kickers but although I don't mind taking the genuine ones for a Test Drive, they don't get to drive it themselves because their Insurance only covers 3rd Party!

If they want to buy it, then they have to hand the Cash over the counter of my Building Society to be paid into my Account.

I won't even take a Bankers Draft and I don't make any exceptions!

With the kind of Car that you have, it may be even better to get a Main Dealer to sell it for you on an agreed commission, as that reassures the buyer and relieves you of the hassle.

I did this with my XJR Supercharger, where the Main Dealer sold it the very next day! as they usually have a list of 'Potential Buyers' who may be looking for a Car like yours.

Good luck and hope you get a very good price!

The following users liked this post:
WaterDragon (05-10-2014)
Old 05-10-2014 | 07:45 PM

I saw a 2000 XJR on there for sale by a guy named Labradoodlepapa but he sounds like a scammer.

J/K...car looks good. I can sum up every craigslist transaction with "The odds are good but the goods are odd". Also, every $5000 and up transaction has involved a Glock 27 but your approach of meeting at the local PD seems a lot smarter

Old 05-10-2014 | 07:55 PM
Veteran Member

I dunno - He was selling some jaguar tools also in separate auctions, although he did not respond to my "best offer". You know him Dragon?

Last edited by sparkenzap; 05-10-2014 at 07:58 PM.
Old 05-10-2014 | 08:07 PM
|
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by sparkenzap
I dunno - He was selling some jaguar tools also in separate auctions, although he did not respond to my "best offer". You know him Dragon?

That is my listing....sorry about not responding, slipped through the cracks, usually I am good at communicating. After this car is sold I'd be happy to sell you the tools. I'm clearing out lots of stuff, fish related, jewelry making tools, etc. etc. Cleaning out a few rooms of stuff.

Last edited by WaterDragon; 05-10-2014 at 08:24 PM.
Old 05-10-2014 | 08:19 PM
|
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mcm97
Also, every $5000 and up transaction has involved a Glock 27 but your approach of meeting at the local PD seems a lot smarter

Both...

Last edited by WaterDragon; 05-10-2014 at 11:00 PM.
Old 05-10-2014 | 08:32 PM

10:1 ratio of troll to serious person seems normal these days (sigh)

Old 05-10-2014 | 09:13 PM
Veteran Member

Selling a car can be a real PITA for various reasons....and has only gotten worse in the last 15-20 years or so since the internet scamming has really taken off.

Ask 12 people why they trade their car in at the dealer rather than selling it outright....even though they know that trading it in costs them a chunk of money....and I'll bet a dollar to a donut 8 of 'em will say that they just don't want to go thru the hassle of selling the car privately.

Cheers
DD

Old 05-10-2014 | 09:16 PM
|
Veteran Member

I prefer this one goes to a good home. I've spent many moons and many greenbacks to get this one in the shape it is now in.

Last edited by WaterDragon; 05-10-2014 at 11:00 PM.
Old 05-11-2014 | 07:21 AM
Veteran Member

No sweat on the reply- Just messin with you

Good luck with the sale. Two weeks ago herein Atlanta, two carloads of dudes showed up to "buy" a black Mercedes on Friday afternoon. They took the car at gunpoint, then one of the perps was shot after a high speed cop chase. They caught all of them this time! So yo do have a reason to worry.
http://www.douglascountysentinel.com...a4bcf6878.html

Last edited by sparkenzap; 05-11-2014 at 07:23 AM.
Old 05-11-2014 | 10:39 AM

Good luck Dragon. Wish I could grab your car. Well cared for I know.

The following users liked this post:
WaterDragon (05-11-2014)
Old 05-11-2014 | 06:06 PM
Veteran Member

lol

Old 05-12-2014 | 08:07 AM

My "solution" to craigslist scammers is to have telephone(no texts!) as the only reply method.
You'll certainly eliminate the out of country types this way. I still deal with the usual riff-raff that must call every ad and offer half price as their opening statement. Easy enough to hang up. Scammers prefer e-mail as they are usually lazy, chiselers are tough to eliminate, I simply hang up.
Meeting at the police station is a bit extreme. If you are unwilling to deal with strangers then an auction might be a better venue for you.
Good luck

Old 05-12-2014 | 09:10 AM
|
Veteran Member

I'm happy to meet "strangers" as long as they are true potential buyers and not joyriders, scammers, or criminals with plans. Worthy of note, the last person that pointed a loaded gun at me got shot only seconds later, by his own gun. True story.

If someone is not willing to meet in the parking lot of my local PD, which is less than 5 minutes from my house, where they know there are video cameras, and not willing to spend the 5 minutes to have their Driver's license verified, then I suspect there is a good reason for that.

I have had 2 different people who wanted to come see the car "change their minds" about what they wanted after realizing they would have to verify who they were. One of them came up with a stupid story of "Oh, I wanted the V6 version" You can't tell me this wasn't a criminal without criminal intent.

No one has yet to see the car, but now there are 2 decent potential buyers interested, per extended phone calls. No one has yet come to see it, and I suspect the first person who does come see it will want it. I expect to show it to someone by the end of this week.

Plenty of offers on Ebay in the $8K range saying this is all they can afford. I'm thinking then they can't afford "this" car. There are plenty of other 2000 XJRs that come up for the prices they are offering, but not in this shape or condition. Since this is not a forced sale, if it does not sell by the end of summer, I can just keep it and try again next year.

Last edited by WaterDragon; 05-12-2014 at 04:04 PM.
Old 05-12-2014 | 10:24 AM

I'm happy to meet "strangers" as long as they are true potential buyers and not joyriders, scammers, or criminals with plans.

If someone is not willing to meet in the parking lot of my local PD, which is less than 5 minutes from my house, where they know there are video cameras, and not willing to spend the 5 minutes to have their Driver's license verified, then I suspect there is a good reason for that.

I have had 2 different people who wanted to come see the car "change their minds" about what they wanted after realizing they would have to verify who they were. One of them came up with a stupid story of "Oh, I wanted the V6 version" You can't tell me this wasn't a criminal without criminal intent.

No one has yet to see the car, but now there are 2 decent potential buyers interested, per extended phone calls. No one has yet come to see it, and I suspect the first person who does come see it will want it. I expect to show it to someone by the end of this week.

Plenty of offers on Ebay in the $8K range saying this is all they can afford. I'm thinking then they can't afford "this" car. There are plenty of other 2000 XJRs that come up for the prices they are offering, but not in this shape or condition. Since this is not a forced sale, if it does not sell by the end of summer, I can just keep it and try again next year.

I think you are scaring people away with your demand to meet like that. I wouldn't bother and I'm not a criminal, just wouldn't appreciate the inference.
At the risk of offending I'd be mighty pleased with an $8k offer on a '00 Jag anything. I don't know the specifics of your car so may be all wet but can tell you for a fact that if yours is a "special" car it's going to require a "special" buyer and one who is willing to pay a premium for someone else's tastes. These guys don't grow on trees. These cars are a tough sell at any price.
Good luck, sir.

Old 05-12-2014 | 11:27 AM
|
Veteran Member

Well,

I am getting a few, what I would call "qualified" people interested now, so it seems that they are not afraid of having their driver's license verified. If I loose a few people who may have truly been interested, but the requirement of proving they are who they say they are is a deal breaker, then so be it.

This car is in unusually good condition. The high blue book is $9700. This has many expensive upgrades. Everything works. All motors, sunroof, seats, etc. Just about all maintenance parts are less than 1 year old: Water pump, new upper and lower 3rd gen tensioners, serpentine tensioner, belts, stainless brake lines, 5th gen rebuilt, ported blower, new rotors, brake pads, tires, all new hoses under the hood, etc. Your average XJR for sale has very few of these things. The paint is near flawless and looks like new. The interior is flawlessly perfect except for a small amount of headliner sagging. It is an exceptionally well cared for car, so I think high blue book is appropriate.

In the end we will just have to wait and see if any buyers recognize this. As I say in my ad, for $8K people can find a decent 2000ish XJR, but they will not be able to find one as nice as this for $8K.

I'm thinking if need be I can build an additional covered garage pretty easily on the side of my house where I park my minivan outside and keep it there if it does not sell. I'm not going to give it away, and I'm not going to store it outside, so putting a roof over it, with it's car cover on under that roof, might be my answer if no one ends up buying it.

Last edited by WaterDragon; 05-12-2014 at 11:33 AM.
Old 05-13-2014 | 04:19 PM
|
Veteran Member

Sold Pending funds.

Happy new owner taking delivery Thursday after full payment

Buyer recognized the deal and had no hesitation.

Old 05-14-2014 | 06:04 AM
Old 05-14-2014 | 07:58 AM

you suck, I always apprieciated your posts and mods. Now you sold it. you moving up or out?

Old 05-14-2014 | 08:37 AM
|
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Brutal
you suck, I always apprieciated your posts and mods. Now you sold it. you moving up or out?
heh...

I'll still make myself available to help anyone who wants it. Anyone can simply send me a PM which goes to my genius phone in seconds.

After accessing which vehicles fit which uses I thought that, at least at the present moment, the XJR was not exactly the best fit. My wife and I always seem to take the 2002 Blue Zircon XJ8 when we go on any longer road trips because it has a softer ride, is quieter, and co-pilot DOG can ride in the back seat. We'll keep this car for a looong time.

I have a minivan for larger errands, and full access to the Poonterra for all out track days.

I just bought a little 1992 Miata roller skate for around town errands. Super fun little go cart. M45 Super charger to be installed in 3 weeks (fits in the palm of you hand, so cute) It's like a real car, only smaller... 2000 lbs. Just bought some 8.6 lb wheels for it. I expect approx 150-160 RWHP @ 2000 lbs, so not fast, but super fun for a go cart with turn signals. Bonus is if the brakes fail, you can just reach out and grab the wheel to stop.

Since I only have a 2 car garage at the moment, and the XJR has never known what it is like to sleep outside, I thought it best to give it a new home. The person buying it had a 2000 XJR before and will love it. It is his 5th car (big garage apparently) so it will get driven on "date nights" of Friday/Saturday.

I had put on less than 2000 XJR miles since I bought it last Summer. I have enjoyed trying the different mods to see which worked and feel I was successful in maxing out the Eaton at +100 HP over stock which some said couldn't be done. The simple trick was to understand the eaton is good at moving air, just, as I think you said, not good at compressing it, AND, that the limit became the fuel supply with the stock injectors, so the Boost a pump and water/meth injection was a very effective work around.

I do thank everyone who helped me along in my quest for the +100 HP gain goal. When I first came to this board I knew very little about modifying cars, so starting with the ultra complicated XJR was really jumping a trial by fire!

I promise to pop in once in a while and keep things....uh....."lively" heh heh...

Last edited by WaterDragon; 05-14-2014 at 12:28 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by WaterDragon:
Brutal (05-14-2014), sparkenzap (05-14-2014)

Quick Reply: Holy smokes, trying to sell my XJR, getting responses from scammers