XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Home-made tools

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 09:53 AM
Received 141 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Home-made tools

With all the expertise, busted knuckles, and in severe cases broken bones..isn't it about time we had a post where everyone can list a description of the tools they have made for tackling difficult jobs, ones that will also work for others? Materials, methods, and use can be included to help others too.

I've looked around the Forum, and unless I looked in the wrong places, I didn't find anything like this? With the cost of buying such tools, sometimes for a 'one-off' use, it appears to me we could all help each other, and the cost saving would be greatly appreciated by those who believe they have no option but to buy these expensive items.

When I did my full timing chain and tensioner changes, just to hire the cam locking tool cost my £50.00 for 2 days ! In retrospect £50 is small compared to what the job cost for new parts, but anything saved could purchase something else we might need?

Just seems like it might be a good idea, but always open to other thoughts?

Old 03-10-2017, 12:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 374 Posts

there are red-case timing tool kits on ebay which go for $70 and will last you at least a few jobs, comes with everything but a crank pulley holder. Don't get the OTC tool, the pegs fall out of the cam holder and it only has one locking bar.

There's a few threads on spring compressors for the front springs. Should be pretty easy to find, but in general it's basically a long all-thread with a HSS bolt thru the top as a "pin".

There's also this site I discovered which sells Jag factory tools at a fairly high price, but it may come in handy for those times DIY doesn't cut it and it has to be done... https://jaguar.service-solutions.com...ory/1/4/Engine

Anyway, here's my crank pulley locking tool, built with maybe $40 in parts, zero welding needed.

The following 2 users liked this post by nilanium:
BobRoy (03-10-2017), Don B (03-11-2017)
Old 03-10-2017, 02:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 918 Likes on 561 Posts

I have a few homemade tools . I have the spring compressor, abs ring, zip ties, homemade saginaw tie rod tool, along with many bent wrenches created for fun situations.