XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

At HomeTune-Up

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 04:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default At HomeTune-Up

I called the dealer a few days ago, haven't gotten a response yet about that Tune-Up I've been needing, however, it has got me thinking, perhaps I could do the simple stuff at home if you guys could walk me through it. I do have a good friendthat is pretty mechanically inclinedand has done these things before.(Worth noting, not on a Jaguar. lol)Such as, the Fuel Filter, Spark Plugs etc. I suppose I would like to start with the Spark Plugs. Is it worth doing by yourself, if so, how do I change spark plugs (Never done so before) and what tools will I need?

Old 12-15-2008, 06:44 PM
Received 2,190 Likes on 1,357 Posts
Default RE: At HomeTune-Up

HOW MANY MILES?

Old 12-15-2008, 06:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes... the plugs are a good thing to start on. You'll need a good ratchet set, a spark plug socket ... a torque wrench is a plus and you may want a JTIS manual to get the correct torque - good thing to have anyways. any auto parts store will have plugs that will fit, but check a manual if you want the "correct" plugs in.

the fuel filter is annoying to replace - I'd start with the plugs - fairly easy.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:16 PM

It has 85,000 miles Brutal. These are some of the Spark Plugs I found, I was thinking of the Bosch Iridium Spark Plugs for around 7 dollars. http://www.partsgeek.com/gbparts/199...ek+Google+Base

Also, I was thinking of replacing my regular intake with one of the Cold Air Intakes on the Mina Gallery.

Old 12-16-2008, 06:34 AM
Received 2,190 Likes on 1,357 Posts

I guess I should have asked how long youve owned it too. Since unless you have recoreds from previous owner, I would start from scratch on maintenace and assume nothings been done. Youre close enough for plugs, I would flush brakes(every 2 yrs regardless of miles), flush coolant, clean part load breather and throttle body, rpelace fuel filter, fuel injection system service(cleaner through the fuel rails not just tank additive). air cleaner, yes Minas fine. replace diff fluid, oil change and filter change, libe all hinges, seals and locks. trans service(depends on what trans as the ZF mineral oil get real expensive real fast) and just an overall inspoection for leaks, hoses, belts, suspension etc....whenever I buy cars, this is pretty much the gamut I run through, yes its a big hit, but if youre planning on keeping the car and want it maintained, its the best advise I could pass along. And if I missed something......sorry its just free advise

Old 12-16-2008, 06:54 AM

I've had the car for less than a month and did get a carfax report on the car which stated it was "A deal" (One of the many lables Carfax dishes out to cars etc etc) I didn't get a chance to print out the carfax report in time as I was having printer problems...grrr..but..I can remember that it was regularly serviced and maintained by one owner. He has had it Tuned-Up once quite a few years back, and has had the regular intervals of service done every two years. He also had the lower-arm bushings replaced every four years or so.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 410 Likes on 305 Posts

I got a Carfax report on my car and it isn't much help. It does show when the car was taken to the dealer, but it doesn't tell you what they did, except in very generic terms. It does tell you about inspections, which is nice. It's rare to find a car nowadays with a good service history - except of course mine (while I own it). I keep records on my computer of every part I repair/replace, the date and mileage, where I got the part and how much it cost.