XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

How can I get my XJ8 Alarm to work?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 06:03 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default How can I get my XJ8 Alarm to work?

Hello,

So my newly-acquired XJ8 4.0 ltr 57,100 miles does not chirp, flash lights or make any other visual/audio indicator that there is a functioning alarm.

However, last week I had a bizarre instead. I was not aware the former keeper had fitted some kind of switch under the steering wheel which if you flip right (while facing forward), both car horns go silent. Now, I had this situation where I needed to use my horns. I had forgotten that I had accidentally flipped the afore-mentioned switch. And so, the horns did not go off but a loud siren-like noise started coming from somewhere under the bonnet.

Owing to the embarrassing nature of the din, I parked the car and turned off the ignition. The noise promptly disappeared. Later, I tried my luck and flipped the switch on the other side. My horns were restored.

Now, that incident at least hinted at one thing: I have an alarm sounder.

How come when I lock the car with the fob or the key, non of the alarm functions are engaged? Is this a SLCM issue? I have peeped under the trunk fuse box and determined that the SLCM is there. It is labelled X300... blah blah. I have also seen some kind of connector in the trunk which you use to connect into the SLCM.

Now, could you wonderful people advise me on how to activate the alarm?

Thanks.

Last edited by AfricanJag; 09-25-2014 at 03:02 AM.
Old 09-25-2014, 06:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,621 Likes on 874 Posts

Check the SLCM to see if the remote control aerial cable is connected The remote control aerial that screws into the SLCM (opposite side to the plugs). It is this remote control aerial that the remotes use to contact the SLCM to tell it to unlock the doors.

Comment & Photo from forum member andrew lowe :
Black wire that comes down behind the loom,( green label JAGUAR ) goes down and terminates in a chrome fitting under the fuse box.

Jim Lombardi

The following users liked this post:
AfricanJag (09-26-2014)
Old 09-26-2014, 04:05 AM

Hey Jim,

Thanks for the line.
I can confirm the following:

1. The Remote works properly i.e all the doors get locked and unlocked although I cannot wind the windows up or down by holding (via a long press) the unlock/lock buttons.

2. I was able to program the remote using the key stalk method and relying entirely on the visual cue from the LED flash at the gear selector

3. I checked again just to be sure (although I knew it was there) that the "Black wire that comes down behind the loom,( green label JAGUAR ) goes down and terminates in a chrome fitting under the fuse box" is connected. It is.

I am still baffled! Is turning the Alarm ON/OFF a programmable feature using the diagnostic kit?

Originally Posted by jimlombardi
Check the SLCM to see if the remote control aerial cable is connected The remote control aerial that screws into the SLCM (opposite side to the plugs). It is this remote control aerial that the remotes use to contact the SLCM to tell it to unlock the doors.

Comment & Photo from forum member andrew lowe :
Black wire that comes down behind the loom,( green label JAGUAR ) goes down and terminates in a chrome fitting under the fuse box.

Jim Lombardi

Old 09-26-2014, 04:08 AM

And a small correction.
The sentence "However, last week I had a bizarre instead." should read "However, last week I had a bizarre incident." INSTEAD :-)

Old 09-26-2014, 09:46 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Where exactly is the SLCM ? My key fobs have been very intermittent and I'm thinking loose connection here might be the issue

Old 09-26-2014, 10:54 AM

SLCM location

- In the trunk under the trunk fuse box. If you crane your neck and peep through the fuse box, you will see it under there

Intermittent fobs

- Perhaps try to change the batteries. You could also clean up the contacts inside there. There is loads of resources on that on the forums.

Originally Posted by dmhippy
Where exactly is the SLCM ? My key fobs have been very intermittent and I'm thinking loose connection here might be the issue

Old 09-26-2014, 08:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,621 Likes on 874 Posts

Look at this forum thread on disabling the security system:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...system-106962/

View its post#2 - Disabling the alarm is possible with factory diagnostics, IDS/WDS

You should Private Message forum member Sean B and ask him about your alarm issues.

Jim Lombardi

AfricanJag (09-27-2014)
Old 09-27-2014, 02:31 AM

Excellent Jim!!

Lemme try that.

Thanks,
Julius

Originally Posted by jimlombardi
Look at this forum thread on disabling the security system:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...system-106962/

View its post#2 - Disabling the alarm is possible with factory diagnostics, IDS/WDS

You should Private Message forum member Sean B and ask him about your alarm issues.

Jim Lombardi

Old 09-29-2014, 09:16 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Replace the batteries and cleaned the contact first before I posted on this thread.

Thanks do the location have to take a look next time I'm in the trunk

Old 09-29-2014, 06:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,355 Likes on 1,066 Posts

It sounds like your car has a 'panic alarm' kit fitted, non standard but perfectly understandable in Africa....If you're ok with wiring diagrams then you'll be able to diagnose what's connected. First off remove the lower shroud where this 'switch' is and see which wires it's hacked into. Take pics for feedback and we might be able to say cut this, solder that shrinktube and job done.......but before that.....

I wonder if it has had the security features disabled, have you locked it via fob then opened by drivers door lock? I seem to recall a 10 second delay to get the key in the ignition or the horns sounded. Don't put the key in and see what happens.
I also wonder if it's an after market siren fitted or the original, it's a black rounded edge plastic box located on the lower front rhs chassis leg. (looking from front of car). You'll need it on a ramp or a good flashlight to ID it.

I have mentioned that the security features can be tuned /activated/deactivated via IDS (factory level diagnostics) have you any Dealers around? If not it's likely to be a wiring hack rather than IDS access, therefore it should be reversible.

AfricanJag (09-30-2014)
Old 09-30-2014, 12:35 AM

dmhippy

Am no expert. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable will come in and help you out better.

Cheers,
Julius

Originally Posted by dmhippy
Replace the batteries and cleaned the contact first before I posted on this thread.

Thanks do the location have to take a look next time I'm in the trunk

Old 09-30-2014, 12:44 AM

Hey Sean,

Thanks for taking the time to deposit some nuggets onto here.

- "Panic Alarm kit" conjecture
Not a possibility. I imported this unit from Japan. It was made in the U.K and imported into Japan as a japan-spec. There is no custom fitting for the Ugandan/African market in that sense.

- Wiring diagrams
I am not an expert but I can put two n two together. I will take pics and get beck to you. I will do some other scenarios (including attempting to replicate the alarm trigger scenario) and also throw a brief on that.

- Security features disabled?
That has been my suspicion but I did not have a clue on how to investigate. There is no Jaguar dealership here per se. We have a Ford/Landrover dealership though. I guess they may have the diagnostic kit. They are a bit out of my way but I will have to get there and find out soon. Yes, I have done the fob locking and key unlocking in less than 10 seconds. No alarm response!

- "I also wonder if it's an after market siren fitted or the original..."
I will follow your advice and check to confirm.

Thanks for now but if the info above sends your mind in a direction, I look forward to your insights.

Cheers,
J

Originally Posted by Sean B
It sounds like your car has a 'panic alarm' kit fitted, non standard but perfectly understandable in Africa....If you're ok with wiring diagrams then you'll be able to diagnose what's connected. First off remove the lower shroud where this 'switch' is and see which wires it's hacked into. Take pics for feedback and we might be able to say cut this, solder that shrinktube and job done.......but before that.....

I wonder if it has had the security features disabled, have you locked it via fob then opened by drivers door lock? I seem to recall a 10 second delay to get the key in the ignition or the horns sounded. Don't put the key in and see what happens.
I also wonder if it's an after market siren fitted or the original, it's a black rounded edge plastic box located on the lower front rhs chassis leg. (looking from front of car). You'll need it on a ramp or a good flashlight to ID it.

I have mentioned that the security features can be tuned /activated/deactivated via IDS (factory level diagnostics) have you any Dealers around? If not it's likely to be a wiring hack rather than IDS access, therefore it should be reversible.

Old 10-10-2014, 04:13 AM

Hey Sean Sorry it took me so long to get beck to you but here are some pics I took after removing the cover under the steering column. There is that winding red wire that connects to the button. I have also take pics of a connector in the trunk. Is that where the SLCM is plugged in?

1. Under the steering wheel
a. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3t...ew?usp=sharing
b. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3t...ew?usp=sharing

2. Horn on/off button

3. SLCM connector?
b. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3t...ew?usp=sharing

Looking forward to your feedback.

J