XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

How do I remove the leaper base-plate from the hood? It won't come off!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 02:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 77 Likes on 70 Posts

Screwdriver Pop - I will drink to that!

Old 09-17-2020, 12:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb removal or leaper base-plate, stype, XJ,/XJR

BRUTAL WAS CORRECT,
First, I did all of the above,.......I bought large socket for plastic nut underneath hood, then I used yards of dental floss which kept snapping( or getting cut). I periodically tried to wiggle it. it seemed like it was welded to, or threaded through hood!! It would not budge/ even though I could see hood flexing like it was going to bend permanently!! I did not want to damage the hood , so I let the the little chrome cat win. I called it a day, disappointed that I would not be able to used the....... 2006 XKR ...."Jaguar Supercharged ".....Bonnet badge......I had spent dozens of hours researching *check note below. The next day I went and purchased as Blow dryer for the cat, yes that's right. I went through all the rituals again. Even more time on the dental floss. I used the Philips screw driver again. It would not give in. I then turned the blow dryer on it full blast at the highest temperature, until it was almost too hot to touch!!! I though the paint was going to melt!! I tried the Philips again, which got jammed in the cat hole( where the wire goes). by now I was getting just a little pissed off with the whole ordeal. So, thinking about Brutal's advice, I used quite a lot of force(screwdriver still jammed in hole), and wouldn't you know it, .......the fuh-kah-dapt thing finally gave way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it begrudgingly came away from the car with only slight scarring(on the paint) from the damn dental floss. That's right they should have said to use only waxed floss. Brutal was correct.
****The Bonnet badge for the 2006 XKR, it is referred to as the Victory Edition. It says only Jaguar at the top (from 10 to 2 on the clock) and Supercharged on the bottom half( from 7 to 5 on the clock face). I did get the part number...part# C2N3703 . The badge is available from Jaguar dealers in Canada, and can be sourced using this part number.
PS: one of the plastic prongs on the badge must be removed( snapped off in this case), to fit the S-Type R. the smaller one, that keeps it from rotating- not the bigger one in the center. I used only the adheasive to attach. Enough already. I hope this helps out you poor miserable *******s who wanted to separate the leaper kitty from its' MOM. What an ordeal.