XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

How to get new trunk button to stay in? How do I remove the trunk-light molding?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 10:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 77 Likes on 70 Posts
Default How to get new trunk button to stay in? How do I remove the trunk-light molding?

I feel so stupid right now...

Someone stole the Jaguar logo off my trunk-button but left the black plastic stem below it - so it was only an aesthetic issue, the button still worked. So now I got a new button and looking at the stem/shaft on the new one I figured (stupidly!) that I can just pull out the remains of the old one and replace via pressure-fit. DOH! the new one does not stay in at all and now I cannot use the trunk-button to open the trunk

Apparently there is some kind of retaining ring that attaches to the end of the stem, and now that ring is floating around inside the chrome trunk-molding that houses the license-plate lights. How do I remove that molding and get the new button attached? I popped off the acrylic trunk-light bulb-covers and apparently there are no other screws under there, so I'm guessing I need to do this from the underside of the trunk-lid, including removing the trunk-liner from the lid?

FYI, I've got the fluted VDP-style trunk molding (if that makes any difference.)

Old 11-10-2016, 10:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,813 Likes on 1,328 Posts

You should be able to get to the nut retainers by pulling down your carpet cover off the trunk lid.

The following users liked this post:
vdpnyc (11-10-2016)
Old 11-10-2016, 10:33 PM
Veteran Member

The carpet is also tucked underneath the bracket for the trunk-lock, can I avoid removing that somehow? I'm afraid of locking myself out of the trunk altogether at this point...

Are the plastic things holding in the liner screws, or just pressure-fit that can be yanked/wedged out?

Old 11-10-2016, 10:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 496 Likes on 377 Posts

You need to take out the bracket cover. Two torx bolts under the bolt covers, if yours haven't fallen, and a third once you get some carpet up. If you want to be sure not to lock yourself out leave the latch dangling before closing the trunk, so if you do close it it won't latch. Or stick some 2x4 in the way.

The plastic bits are just run of the mil fir tree clips, in there very tightly. A split plastic trim crowbar will help lots. Be sure to pry them off before pulling the carpet, if you try to pull the carpet off with them in they will pull through since they're held stronger than the carpet.

Old 11-11-2016, 12:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,354 Likes on 928 Posts

Such a one is mandatory to remove Jaguar panels without damage, and they cost almost nothing.
Buy one before you regret.
With it, it is a 5 min job to get the carpet off, and access to the lock and nuts holding the trim.

EDIT: Be careful with the internal trunk lights while removing and installing the trim.
The way they are fitted into the trim (by means of a leather surround) is easy to rip, which then requires a lot of extra work.
Easiest is to open up the trim from the side, then have one hand inside to guide the lamps out and in, to prevent pressure and twisting.

Attached Thumbnails How to get new trunk button to stay in? How do I remove the trunk-light molding?-wholesale-2pcs-no-damage-pc-crowbar-pry-tool.jpg  

Last edited by ericjansen; 11-11-2016 at 06:33 AM.
Old 11-11-2016, 04:50 PM
Veteran Member

Getting to the underside was apparently not difficult (I've got those orange tools already) but once there i'm clueless - there was no retaining ring, no broken plastic or anything under there - what holds the button from popping out of the cylinder in the photo?

The screws to the switch are rusted in place, so I'm hoping I won't have to remove that from the bracket to fix this...

Old 11-11-2016, 05:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 475 Likes on 355 Posts

I think it would be quicker and easier for you to just buy a new button assembly. They are all over eBay and it's better than messing round trying to dismantle your current button.

Old 11-12-2016, 09:21 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stu 1986
I think it would be quicker and easier for you to just buy a new button assembly. They are all over eBay and it's better than messing round trying to dismantle your current button.
Agreed, if I didn't already have the replacement button. The question is, can the button be swapped out? If so, how do I get it to stay in?

If not, I'll follow your suggestion and buy the assembly...

Old 11-12-2016, 05:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,813 Likes on 1,328 Posts

You can spray those screws with some PB blaster and let it sit overnight and they should come out a lot easier. I'll bet your thieves snapped the trim ring that holds the button in place, check the ones on ebay to compare, since they obviously didn't come through the trunk ...so you'll probably need a new assembly.

Old 11-13-2016, 10:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

Check to see if actually someone did steal your button, i thought someone stole mine until two days later my dad found it on the ground where my car sits, i felt like an idiot, the glue doesn't seem to be held well/

Old 11-13-2016, 06:13 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by omgimali
...i thought someone stole mine until two days later my dad found it on the ground where my car sits...
That was my initial thought too, I do not see how anyone would steal that button cover, they should go for the leaper up front.
I just checked mine being fixed though ...

Old 11-13-2016, 06:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by ericjansen
That was my initial thought too, I do not see how anyone would steal that button cover, they should go for the leaper up front.
I just checked mine being fixed though ...
yea, or the grille badge

Old 11-13-2016, 10:45 PM
Veteran Member

I originally bought the car without a leaper, so at one point they stole that too, lol - NYC is rough on cars.

No idea if the trunk-button fell off or was stolen, but it is gone. I did look at more photos online of the assembly and apparently it is held in by an unremovable metal pin permanently affixed from the bottom, so once the button is yanked out forcefully the pin would need to be driven in further to get a new button to stay in.

The sad moral of the story is, you were all right and it cannot be easily reattached - apparently I was wasting my time and just ordered a new button on ebay...

Old 11-14-2016, 12:17 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by vdpnyc
The sad moral of the story is, you were all right and it cannot be easily reattached - apparently I was wasting my time and just ordered a new button on ebay...
Well, at least we all know that now ... a lesson for the next one facing the same problem ...
Still, if this is the biggest problem you will have with this car ...