XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

How to make the center-console armrest latch shut up? Squeaky creaky cheeky thing!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2016 | 10:30 PM
|
Veteran Member
Question How to make the center-console armrest latch shut up? Squeaky creaky cheeky thing!

Anyone else have this problem and resolved it? My center console armrest (that closes over the storage bin) creaks and squeaks as I drive, resting my arm on it (which I do naturally) makes it better, but it is still annoying.

It looks like the moving bits are underneath with about 8-10 screws holding the underside plastic to the cushioned-leather top part. Will a spring pop out if I remove the screws to grease it up? Is it easy to reassemble? Is there a better option to stop the noise?

Old 11-10-2016 | 11:04 PM
Veteran Member

You could try working a bit of PTFE lube into the moving sections, my latch is sticky from previous owner spilling soda and I was going to try this once I get the jag rolling. Local bike shop should have it as a drip or spray called a "dry" lube. The liquid suspension evaporates, but the little teflon bits work their way in and act as a lubrication without any mess. Home depot should have it too.

Old 11-11-2016 | 06:24 AM
Veteran Member

It sounds like either the pop up cup holder spring assist has come loose and is scrubbing on the plastic, a part is cracked or there is an alignment issue and the plastic is rubbing. Its quite simple to remove (three screws on the hinge), flip it over and you have access to the panel to remove and start diagnosing.
Just remember to take the panel and other items off carefully, for as you remove them, you may find your creaky squeak as it falls between the seats and now your fishing.
I rebuilt mine (the cup holder pivots) after I had it professionally rebuilt and it broke again 2 yrs later, but my rework has lasted 10 yrs. I can give more details if needed.

Old 11-11-2016 | 09:35 AM

In the TSB section of this forum there is a complete TSB on this with drawings and service instructions. I just read it last night.

Quote:"
Default TSB 501-06 Damaged Cupholder Mechanism
501-06 Damaged Cupholder Mechanism

Forum member motorcarman posted this TSB in this forum "armrest-cupholder-5506" thread.

501-06 Damaged Cupholder Mechanism.pdf

TSB describes how to remove/install Cupholder Mehanism - also provides a number of illustrations.

Jim Lombardi

Old 11-11-2016 | 11:55 AM
|
Veteran Member

Thanks, but it sounds like the noise is from the latching mechanism below, not the cup holder above.

Old 11-11-2016 | 05:05 PM
Veteran Member

You may find it's simply the plastic bottom of the arm rest rubbing against the leather of the console body. I lined the underside of my lid with sticky backed black felt and it's worked a treat. Just shape it so it doesn't cover the tyre pressure info placard.
You can get it in craft shops but you'd also find it on eBay easily I imagine.

Old 11-11-2016 | 08:04 PM

There is ONLY a hook below. The cupholder IS the latching mechanism.

bob