XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

How many gallons of gas can you put in your tank before the pump stops?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 03:38 PM
Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts
Default How many gallons of gas can you put in your tank before the pump stops?

I can only get about 18.5 gallons MAX in mine for the past 7 yrs. That was even after driving about 15 miles on the highway with the 'range' reading zero miles to empty. Is this normal? In the past few months, it has been getting gradually harder to fuel up the tank.

I'm guessing this issue is associated with this:

I also have a slow start when I start the car after it has been parked for 1hr-5 hrs or so. It cranks normally, but when it fires up, the rpms drop to about 200 for about half a second and feels like it will stall (but it never does) then the rpms reach normal idle after about 3-4 seconds (unless i give it a little throttle). I hear a buzzing noise from the fuel tank and what sounds like water rushing down pipes for about 15 seconds after it starts. I'm 99% sure that is the fuel pump and fuel rushing down the fuel lines. My car has been doing this for the 7 yrs I've had it, so the pump doesn't seem like its on its way out.

But if I start the car after it has been parked for 30 mins or less, it starts totally fine with no buzzing, or etc and normal idle. However, if I start the car during a warm/cool morning, the car starts after only 1/2 second of cranking (seems too fast) and the exhaust smells VERY rich. The engine shoots up to about 1200 rpms and takes about 15 seconds to drop to 1000rpm (it runs just slightly rough during this time) and about 30 seconds to a min to drop to normal idle (and then the engine smooths out). There is no buzzing noises from the fuel pump. If I start it on a cold morning, it starts totally fine. If I start if on a very cold morning after being parked for a few days, it has to crank for about 3 seconds (not bad, but much slower than the 1/2 seconds during warm mornings). The exhaust does not smell rich during these times.

I'm getting no DTC codes nor a check engine light. I used to get an intermittent small EVAP system leak code for years that vanished about 8 months ago on its own.

Ideas/thoughts as to what could be going on?

Old 11-12-2011, 06:36 PM
Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

i have the same problem where i can only get about 18 gallons in the tank no matter what...i have also driven way past empty and zero miles to see if i could squeeze more in there...although i do think all the gas is in there 23 gallons but think that something is setup where there gas gauge never reads that extra 5 gallons...i have driven over 50 miles on the 0 miles remaining so i know there must be more than 3 gallons just sitting there...i thought this feature was for a forgettful person so that they would never run out of gas...i know those gas stations can be few and far between in many parts of england...

Old 11-12-2011, 07:50 PM
Received 43 Likes on 19 Posts

Sounds like you may have filled the evap system with fuel possibly, and or the other problem I have heard of on here is problems with sticky evap valves. I am sure others have more info on the specifics. Just got an evap leak code on my car tonight. As far as running the car down low on fuel, I would not recommend. The fuel pump is located in the tank and they use the fuel in the tank to help keep the pump cool. So keeping two or three gallons of gas in there ensures that the pump is bathed in nice cool fuel. Believe me you do not want to have to take the tank out of one of these cars. I did so in order to remove old fuel from mine after it had sat for a couple years. It is a chore to say the least to remove the tank and especially remove the fuel lines connected to it. Hope this may help.

The following users liked this post:
burmaz (11-13-2011)
Old 11-13-2011, 08:19 AM
Received 8,181 Likes on 4,935 Posts

I just replaced fuel pumps on 2 X308s recently and noticed that the fuel level sender float was about an inch above the bottom of the tank. I had to remove the fuel in one because the filler area drain clogged, the cap failed and the tank had several gallons of water in the bottom.

I did not lift the arm to see if it would hit the top. I guess someone could do that and bend it to set the limits top and bottom??? I just wanted the fuel pump to work and get the customer back on the road!!

bob gauff

Old 11-13-2011, 05:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 474 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by pdog2000
i know those gas stations can be few and far between in many parts of england...
Ha Ha! Actually the bloody things are everywhere! Its Post Offices that are hard to come by!