XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

how many x308's do you see around?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 10:25 PM
Received 110 Likes on 83 Posts

At my University, there are 2 XJ40s. Today, though, I saw a 2001-03 Vanden Plas.

I see X308s pretty often here, every week or so. I usually flash the brights twice to say hello. They never respond.

The Jaguar Club I'm in also has a few XJ8s.

In the enthusiast scene, you never see any Jaguars. The only person out there with any true respect for my car is my friend who drives a 2002 M5. I might as well be in a 4cyl Camry to half of them (jealousy, or my lack of speed?) About half of people will give me nice comments on the car, especially on how clean it is. I also hear "it looks brand new" or, "I love the lines on these cars". The interior gets its share of compliments, the black interiors just age well. It looks nearly new, with the exception of 2 cracked veneers/ normal driver's seat wear (a bit much for 53k, admittedly).

Living in FL, you see a lot of base XJ6 and XJ8s, all are hideously dirty. Which sucks. But still, my car got more attention there. There are quite a few Jaguars here in Tulsa, so, I rarely hear about the car from regular people.

I have been targeted by transients, however. One time, exiting a function, me and 2 friends had just returned from a formal banquet with the oil industry, and were dressed well... we needed some various items, and made the mistake of shopping at wal-mart... A guy came to me, with a sob story.. in this case, I gave him the $20 he was asking for.

Once I got flagged down on the road in Orlando by a guy in a silver 04 DTS with 22" chrome wheels, he gave me a big thumbs up-- that was hilarious. I reciprocated-- the DTS is a great car.

Cheers,

Ian

Old 02-20-2012, 11:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,623 Posts

Originally Posted by Estilian
Sean, I know about this way of taking some documents. But!!! The problem is that the local authorities require the original document for the last registration when the car was "in legal driving condition" as they call it here.

Believe me - the problem with registering this car is not with it's documents - the problem is with the bulgarian authorities! Here when you buy or sell a car you need to do it at a Notary + signatures of both sides and counsel!!! It's like you're dealing with a house, not a car
Perhaps the place to contact would not have been the dealer, but the Department of Motor Vehicles in the last state of registration to request a replacement title. Then, the Auto Club because they handle international paperwork with apostile.(notarisation).

Old 02-21-2012, 12:21 AM
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I live on the outskirts of Sydney Australia and XJ308's are rare as hens teeth.I have driven from Sydney to Melbourne (1000km) and spent several days in Melbourne on numerous occasions and never seen another XJ308.
In Sydney I might see another one, once a month if lucky.
X and S types are more common.

Old 02-21-2012, 06:52 AM
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Here in Brentwood, TN, a suburb of Nashville, XJ's are not uncommon, but definitely less common than BMW, Mercedes & Lexus. The Jags, even older ones like mine, still get more attention.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:08 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1-a-day

Old 02-23-2012, 05:46 AM
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

I dont see many Jags here in Amsterdam,more Beemers and Mercs, only 5 XJR 100,s came to our small country ,so exept for mine i have never seen another XJR 100 irl.
In the city of Amsterdam where i live you have to pay more than $6 an hour when you park your car ,i have a $300 a year permit that only apply in a few streets where i live ,and a Jag costs about $1300 a year for road tax.
Next year they want to double the parking price for bigger 4 door cars in Amsterdam.
I love to see more Jags but if they make it that expensive more people buy Dinky Toys over here {,the new small cars are free of road tax} ,but most Car enthusiasts ,gonna live outside the city where there is more space and less stress.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 416 Likes on 308 Posts

I don't see many around here, relatively speaking. The vast majority of sedans are Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Lexus, BMW, Mercedes. There's probably 50 Toyota Camrys or Nissan Altimas to one Jag. But I enjoy standing out among the rabble.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:59 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by JimmyL
I don't see many around here, relatively speaking. The vast majority of sedans are Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Lexus, BMW, Mercedes. There's probably 50 Toyota Camrys or Nissan Altimas to one Jag. But I enjoy standing out among the rabble.
you know, im sure you are like many of us here who when you are driving about, notice what is rolling around you. i tell you what , generally speaking, this has been one of the dullest periods in automotive design that i have seen in a while. other than the corvette or porsche , i rerely find myself taking a second glance at something on the road. last sunday i was driving the jag and just by chance , another VDP was on the same road, i think both drivers felt the same emotions as we both continued on close to each other for a while.!!