XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

How Much Different Is the Jaguar, Mechanically?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 05:31 AM
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default How Much Different Is the Jaguar, Mechanically?

Except for Jag-specific problems, how much different, mechanically, is the Jaguar that "non-Jag" mechanics would be lost trying to service them? I'm not a mechanic so I have no idea.

I can see that someone not used to working on them wouldn't be familiar with, perhaps, what to look for to DIAGNOSE an issue and to know what are the common trouble areas, etc., but once a problem is known (perhaps diagnosed by a Jag DEALER), shouldn't any good auto mechanic be able to repair it with the right tools and parts?

Thanks!

SirJag

Old 03-12-2011, 08:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 344 Likes on 298 Posts

I hate to say -- "it depends" ....... but it does. Can I assume this is a tie in to your other post regarding job prices?

As someone who likes to work on old cars as a hobby I feel I have a pretty good mechanical background - but I am no mechanic. So ...if I can do a lot of work on my cars most mechanics can also - but I pick my battles at this point.

It boils down being familiar with the cars -- many local mechanics don't want to work on Jaguars because they feel they are going to be more work -- many still think the XJs have inboard rear brakes! My experience from my time in CA is similar to the area I am in today --- no bargains exist in the auto repair area -- our local independent shops all charge $100/hour for labor and use industry time rates.

As to parts pricing - Its all over the place - some dealers charge over list for parts and some independents want to make a certain percentage from the parts they install - so depending on the two The independents can't call up the local parts store and order all the parts like they can for most late model Fords - so its more work for a Jaguar.

My local mechanic who works on my company vehicles also does many jobs on my personal cars -- I order the parts and he installs them. But a lot of local shops will not do this -- so you are stuck. This is the problem owning any older Jaguar/ Mercedes/ BMW/ Porsche that you are not able to work on yourself and need to use daily for transportation.

Many of the items you have listed -- other than the suspension - are not difficult (or dangerous) and do not require any great skills. Thats why this forum is a great resource -- you can diagnose a problem and decide if you are up to fixing it yourself.

Old 03-12-2011, 08:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,978 Likes on 7,211 Posts

Originally Posted by SirJag
shouldn't any good auto mechanic be able to repair it with the right tools and parts?

Basically...yes. He might make some mistakes along the way, being unfamiliar with the car, but he'll learn :-).

SO much depends on the individual mechanic, though. Some have a "can do" attitude (which isn't always a good thing), others have a very narrow comfort zone (which isn't always a bad thing).

Cheers
DD

Old 03-12-2011, 09:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

I strongly agree with Doug and yeldogt, with the possible addition that the Jaguar electronics, which control most everything on the car, are specific to Jaguar. They are the same systems as in most any other cars, but the diagnostic equipment, test procedures, spare parts and so on are unique, so the the guy with Ford or GM test equipment would have to pay out fairly big $ ($5,000 to $10,000) and invest in training,either self taught or at a class to be on top of the game.

Old 03-12-2011, 11:17 AM
Veteran Member

I completely agree on the electronics. With some of the more common problems you may be able to strategically guess -- others are impossible without the proper knowledge.

Also the bigger dealers with good parts departments have many of the components that they can try - no way an independent has that available.

Its cheaper to pay the dealer for an hour.

I have a Mercedes wagon -- The climate control fan started to change speeds and then got stuck on slow on one of the coldest days last December. I had to take it directly to the dealer because we needed it for the holidays. Thankfully they could take me right in. While the mechanic was working on it I went over -- he had replaced the ACC head unit in the dash and he had a new controller -- resister pac and fan motor box sitting on the front seat. I said what is all this stuff -- he said sometimes replacing parts is the only way to figure out what is up and once its in the car with a warranty repair -- it stays

Old 03-12-2011, 11:56 AM
Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

As a former Service Manager of three dealer service departments I have to say that the "Parts Changer" at the Benz shop would have been fired for doing what you mentioned.

Each one of those parts that were replaced under "warranty" will likely end up going back to the supplier that produced them. That supplier wil then test them. If there was no failure, the dealer gets charged back for the part and labor associated with it. Even worse the dealer takes a hit to their performance record with the manufacturer. After enough hits the dealer gets a visit from the regional service manager and it escalates from there.

That said, the answer to the original post is the car is no different than others. It takes brains and attention to detail to properly diagnose and repair any car on the road today. In addition to the human factor lot's of special tools and test equipment are needed for many of the engine and electrical specific repairs. However the basic stuff like most of the mechanicals are very similar to other makes and models.

In the end, if someone lacks mechanical aptitude I would advise taking the car to the dealer for repairs instead of letting someone else "Learn" on your car. After all the techs at the dealer get training on the vehicles and are familiar with the particular 'Bugs" that a model might have. As a result diagnosis time is reduced and you save money.

Just my opinion.

Ken

Old 03-12-2011, 02:28 PM
Veteran Member

Sinister: While I think its crazy ........ MB replaces parts like they don't cost anything. I will say this .......I stopped buying MB in the mid 90's when I had unbelievable trouble with a w140 - I was not the only one. I only recently went back -- they are so concerned about keeping you happy it's unbelievable -- They do not want you returning with the same problem -- maybe because Lexus stole a bunch of customers.

But my point was that sometimes trying a new module or electrical component is the only solution to find a fault and only a dealer with access to the parts can do that.

Old 03-12-2011, 10:47 PM
Received 74 Likes on 39 Posts

NOTHING NEW UNDER THE SUN!

Before hanging up the wrench, I was an ASE Master Mechanic in both Autos and Heavy Duty Trucks, both gas and diesel engines. Plus I had the Electronic Engine Control Certs for both.

I have no problem with my Jag. You may run across a detail to watch in changing a component, but the components are similar. The Electronic Engine Controls of OBDII are so similar, it ain't funny. This is why OBDII came out. My Jag has a 4 wire throttle position sensor and that other car has a 3 wire, but the tests are the same. Check the reference voltage, check for shorts, check the conections is common to the TPS systems.

Disk brakes work the same. Long ago the Corvette's disk brakes had to be serviced differently. (more like a drum brake's wheel cylinders) Air disks just tighten the pads against the rotor and then back off. It is mechanical, not hydrualic, but still easy to see what is going on.

Air suspensions are found on cars, trucks, buses, motor homes and trailers. They have a ride height sensor somewhere. Some are electronic, others are mechanical.

It doesn't take long to get up to speed on different vehicles unless you are talking about the parts changers. I have laid out what needed to be done and what not to do and when I came back I found that the not to do had been done.