XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

How to remove Dashboard for weld repair on windscreen

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 07:55 PM
Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
Default How to remove Dashboard for weld repair on windscreen

1999 XJ8, There is a rust repair required at the base of the front drivers side windscreen.. Seems alot of leaves collected under the plastic trim between the bonnet and windscreen base and rust developed. Rust is going under the windscrren so the windscreen will be removed, BUT i also will have to either remove the top part of the dashboard OR move it forward maybe 2 inches etc to protect it from welding sparks at the very least.
My question is : is the Top dashboard, ie the horizontal portion removable or is it a one peice component with the entire Fascia/woodtrim etc.
I either have to remove it or move it forward/down.
I cant find the procedure in the workshop manual.
Help
best regards
Peter

Old 12-24-2012, 02:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,622 Likes on 874 Posts

Hi
I really had a hard time finding the dashboard removing & installing procedures.
First, I did find the facia (dash) components illustration and parts list that I copied into this JPEG file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vbup3gxo5k...ponents%29.JPG

Then after exhausted look through the internet searches (with no luck there), I went back to the JTIS manual and found the Instrument Panel R&I (1998 XJ service section) that includes the removal of the Facia Board (Dashboard).

Here is the weblink to the PDF extract from the JTIS procedure:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x5eq1gqtuu...rd%29R%26I.pdf

Look like you only have to go through step 41 on page 11 (41. Remove facia assembly from vehicle and place on clean bench correct way up, with back facing outward.).

The rest of the file goes into removing all of the other componets on the Facia (Dash) steps 42 through 74 and another 71 steps on installing everything.

Jim Lombardi

Last edited by jimlombardi; 12-24-2012 at 03:47 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by jimlombardi:
fredd60 (12-30-2012), someguywithajag (08-11-2018)
Old 12-24-2012, 03:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,357 Likes on 1,068 Posts

I've done this a few times, you'll be able to rock the dash assembly back to weld, no need to remove it fully.

There's the centre armrest/console to remove, the stereo, glove box and wood trim pieces first. Then the steering wheel. Once you get these pieces out of the way you can crack on with moving the dash.
First unclick the oval plastic covers and remove the 2 green bolts either end of the dash. Then look up through the passenger airbag and remove the hanger bolts. Move the footwell carpets either side of the tranny tunnel and remove the bracketed bolts there. There's a couple of bolts either end up above the pedals/glove box to undo and it should start to wiggle, if you've got all of them it should move back a few inches to protect it. Good luck. Install is the reverse, there's a plastic centreing bracket in the middle of the dash to aim for on install.

The following users liked this post:
fredd60 (12-30-2012)
Old 12-24-2012, 06:43 PM
Smile

Gentlemen
in order just to move the fascia/dash back in order to weld on the windscreen base, do i need to remove the airbags?

I guess i want to do just whats necessary and not destroy the entire interior

best
Peter

Old 12-24-2012, 06:48 PM

Sean
what steps do i follow to wiggle the dash back from Jims link , for which i thanks him very much https://www.dropbox.com/s/x5eq1gqtuu...rd%29R%26I.pdf
I dont want to do steps 1-41 if there oot necessary .
Im syrpride at the amount for destruction necessary just to move the dash top back . In my xj6, its just 2 screws and the crash pad is out!
best regards
Peter

Old 12-25-2012, 03:46 AM

Just looking at the base of the windscreen metal rib/seam where the dashboard meets the windscreen base (windscreen is still in place so im looking through the glass) i notice that the dashboard is maybe 3 cm or an inch away from the metal weld point/rib of the windscreen area.. im thinking that there will be enough room to weld this area up without moving the dashboard . Just placing a bit of sheet metal there may be enough to protect the dash.
It looks like a good inch or so there of space, but i wont now for sure until the winscreen is removed.
Basically i found rust in the sheet metal beneath the black plastic airvent/wiper blade area..seems that leaves and other debris had built up there over the years and the previous owner maybe didnt secure that black plastic form properly as one screw was missing. The panel in the corner rusted right through and beneath was a small box section with rubberised foam in the cavity. The cavity is 2 inches by 3 inche by 1 inch high.
I think this ruberissed foam, although it was all wet with water actually saved the box cavity as the ruber/foam stuck to the sheet metal and protected it.. there is hardly any rust in there.. maybe a good sandblasting will clean it all up and i will have to reweld the top sheet metal around 5 inches by 3 inches .. i will be fillling it up with rubberised foam again ?as i can see this stuff saved much more damage occurring.

So im wanting to reweld the rib at the base of the windscreen.. can anyone confirm that there is an inch between it and the dashpad. This way i wont be needing to move the dashpad forward which i can see is a big job.

The following users liked this post:
fredd60 (12-30-2012)
Old 12-25-2012, 09:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,357 Likes on 1,068 Posts

You will be able to weld the area you say with a plate protector, just have the extinguisher close by. The is with the screen out of course.

Old 12-25-2012, 07:17 PM

Thanks Sean... Thats a releif to not have to destroy the interior for this job.
I will start a new thread with photos of this repair.
I am sure you and others will offer advice with all your knowledge on proper prcodures.
best regards
Peter