XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

hvac system vent airflow volume

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2021, 11:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation hvac system vent airflow volume

Hello, so I have a 2000 Jaguar XJR with 80k miles i picked up for a great price. Obviously due to age i knew i was gonna my hands full going through it and fixing the various issues it was having. First i addressed the more urgent cooling issues and moved on to the next which in the palm springs summer heat is the AC.( gonna be 120 this week!!). The ac temperatures are ok but the actual volume of air coming out of the vents is where the problem im having is. First i familiarized myself with the hvac system. Found out we have 2 blower motors. Noticed only the passenger side blower was coming on. The driver side had power but no ground so was not coming on. Replaced the left side blower and resistor. Both blower motors are now operational and i can feel the volume through the vents did get better but no where near what i expected. If i had to put it in percentages id say it got 10-15% better. I noticed that the system is very loud almost as if the flow of air was being diverted elsewhere. When i run it through the different vent modes i definitely feel it going through the motions face, face/feet, defrost etc. but again the volume of air is laughable. I do have a good visual of the recirculation door on the left blower and can see it does open and close like it should. So im wondering if anyone has run in to this issue and can offer a bit of help in which direction to take from here. I have a feeling one of the actuators elsewhere in the system is not fully operational but cant be 100% sure. By the way i am a tech so taking it to jag isnt an option in my book haha and identifix hasnt been much help on this one. Any input would be greatly appreciated thanks!!

Old 06-14-2021, 02:43 PM
Received 8,138 Likes on 4,910 Posts

You need to find and download Jaguar Service Training Course 701 (or 703) for complete info on the system.
It is about 1.5mb .pdf for the 701 and about 3mb for the 703 so I don't think it will attach to this reply but Gus should have it/them on his site. (jagrepair.com)

Sounds like servo motor issues with the vent doors/flaps?

Old 06-15-2021, 06:58 AM
Received 260 Likes on 193 Posts

Never mind the red circle for now as it was for a different posting

Notice that it has a large basic system operation section then the specific XJ section starting on page 45 :

http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Trai...des/703_SG.pdf

See the flow diagram on page 76

See self test on the A / C control panel on page 110

Self test does not show everything that can be wrong

The codes are here :

http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Auto...tem%201999.pdf

You can drive the actuators back and forth with a 9 volt small battery and switching polarities and listen very carefully with your ears

This without digging the actuators out from deep in the dash

The A / C control module ( other then the control head ) is behind the glove box panel surrounding the actual glove box opening towards the center of the car

This only proves the motor in the specific actuator assembly works but the sensor has to be tested by seeing the resistance change

Some have moved the actuator to the position desired and clipped one wire and going back in the other season and changing it back the other way

There is a problem with I think leaves getting into the fan cage that someone with this model would know more about

Your wiring guide is here on page 113 and 114 with the A/ C control panel connectors ( 4 ) on page 30 :

The connector pictures are looking at the module and not the one half with the wires attached , so you know , mirror image

http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Auto...tem%201999.pdf

The relays for the blower motors are recommended to be changed with new with a high current motor change , bad motors will pit the power contacts limiting the power current flow

Last edited by Parker 2; 06-15-2021 at 08:40 AM.