XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

I am giving up on it and selling it for parts, sad to say.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 01:14 AM
Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Default I am giving up on it and selling it for parts, sad to say.

I have decided that there is just too much wrong with it to sink any more money into. The problem with the motor turned out to be a dual head gasket failure after all other issues were corrected. I am not going to try to repair it with the gearbox still being a gamble too.

Thank you to all that have helped me on my path to this unfortunate realization!

Maybe I will cross paths with another Jaguar in the future. I did like the car quite a bit.

The salvage yard will be the fate of this XJ8 unfortunately. I am going to pull off anything that looks valuable and easy to grab before the tow truck comes for it. Hopefully I can recover my investment. Its got new Michelin Pilots on it, they are coming off for sure.

Let me know if anyone needs anything. Let me know what you need and we will work out the details. I will post to the classifieds forum as well.

Alright...

Old 04-20-2017, 01:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,352 Likes on 927 Posts

Sorry you failed, but at least you tried hard.
Sometimes things simply don't work ...

Old 04-20-2017, 01:44 AM

I learned quite a bit about these cars. I would like another one in the future. This time, I know how to be more selective in my purchase. I advertised my Ford LTD for sale locally, in hopes of funding the purchase of a better Jag.

I was surprised as to how easily the interior was able to be disassembled. I had the entire dashboard disassembled in a hour with a minimal selection of tools. I was looking for the low-hanging-fruit of parts to sell.

I like the design of the center console, so I am removing it and attempting to install it in my Chevelle as part of the custom interior project I am working on. I am going to cut the arch shape into the dash and fit it between a couple late-model Pontiac heated leather buckets that I have been hanging on to. I will have to dye the leather black though.

Old 04-20-2017, 09:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 254 Posts

I have wondered how XJ8 seats would look in an XJR. I had a 2001 XJ8 with beautiful seats in the past, wish I had those seats now...

Yours would not happen to be in excellent shape, would they?

Old 04-20-2017, 09:41 AM

Great shape...no. Fair/ok...yes. They both have wear. The driver seat has a tear about five inches. Standard butt-slide seam tip. The padding is solid though. I like the vertical stitch pattern. It's much like American muscle seats. PM your phone number or email address for pics.

Old 04-20-2017, 04:00 PM

What do the XJR seats look like? What is your interior color.

My first parts customer today taught me that mine is the oatmeal color.

I will try to get some pics uploaded.

Old 04-20-2017, 04:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 254 Posts

Mine are Oatmeal as well, but they are also in pretty good condition. I am looking for someone parting out a car with EXCELLENT seats. My wife's 2004 XJ8 has brand new looking seats. My 2001 XJ8 had showroom new looking seats. So, I know there are some out there. Just keeping my eyes open...

Old 04-20-2017, 04:44 PM
Received 66 Likes on 36 Posts

My first parts customer today taught me that mine is the oatmeal d.[/QUOTE]

That customer was me! Anyone within driving distance from Augusta GA willing to help me get my sunroof back in order with my incoming parts? I pay in beer and steak .

Old 04-20-2017, 05:03 PM

I will see if the whole assembly comes out easily in case you need more of it. It is the size of the entire roof though. I almost have everything striped off of it now. I have a guy coming tomorrow for the carcass and that's all she wrote for this Jag.

There is literally a ton of useful stuff left on what I am calling a carcass, so if anyone needs anything...speak up or forever miss out.

Old 04-21-2017, 11:57 PM

Say something about this photo

It was sad to see it get dragged onto the rollback without the wheels on it, but kinda fun at the same time.

I grabbed everything that was easy to remove or looked especially valuable.

I am going to put itemized listings in the classifieds forum, but I need a little more information on a couple things.

I dont know what these are, or if they have any worth, but I pulled a couple Denso modules and a vacuum hose valve manifold thingy from in the compartment with the brake booster. Can y'all tell me what they are?

Also, I have all the wood trim pieces from inside. I am wondering how to price them and am curious to know what refinishing services charge to do a set of them. I have the price list from the Jaguar TSB, but that's almost twenty years old now. I noticed an XJR parked on the street a couple weeks ago that had really cool looking greyish wood. Mine is just regular wood color. I am assuming there were choices offered. Do the principles of supply and demand make any particular color more valuable?

Thanks everyone!

Old 04-22-2017, 12:03 AM

BTW; my neighbors hate me, but I own that parking space.

Last edited by Fast71SS; 04-22-2017 at 12:51 AM.
Old 04-22-2017, 01:04 AM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

OMG it's gone!!! there was plenty still left on it....bumpers/doors/trunk/fenders...

Old 04-22-2017, 01:28 AM

I did get the boot lid off. I was limited by storage space when removing things that I didn't immediately have a buyer for. Plus, the HOA would have impounded it if it sat overnight as it was. I got what I could and negotiated a fair price for what was left. It is what it is...and I had to make myself stop caring once I found out the head gaskets were blown. If I recover my investment, I will be less saddened at trading my Mercedes out for the Jag to start with.

Old 04-22-2017, 05:11 PM

It's no carport, but the grass strip is a nice place to work.

The following users liked this post:
ericjansen (04-22-2017)