XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

I have a confession to make.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 08:26 PM
Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts
Default I have a confession to make.....

I've been secretly lusting after an S-Type R.

I'm trying to control myself but I think I'll end up at the dealer this week.

Old 03-27-2011, 08:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 297 Posts

They are fast! Not that many around.

I have mixed feelings about the "S" in some colors - they look best in Black -- IMO

Happy hunting !

Old 03-27-2011, 09:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

Sinister besure to read up on them in the S section. There have been some really good write ups on them lately, ie.. people looking for pointers prior to purchase.

I may know of a 2005, black/tan, special order light wood interior less than 50k on the clock and mint!!! STR is in St. Pete, Fl. VERY nice vehicle, I am guessing $17,000 to $18,000 area.

Good luck in your search.

Old 03-27-2011, 10:32 PM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Sinister 1
I've been secretly lusting after an S-Type R.

I'm trying to control myself but I think I'll end up at the dealer this week.
I was looking at them before I decided on my XJR. They are faster, but in the end my wife convinced me that she preferred the classic lines of the x308 series, she thinks the S-Type looks like a Taurus from the rear.

I think the R looks great in black, silver, or red and from what I have read the '05 onward are the ones to get.

Old 03-27-2011, 11:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 77 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by MidlifeXJR
S-Type looks like a Taurus from the rear.
All I see in the S-type is the Lincoln underneath... Not my taste at all - an X-type captures the Jag look much better IMO.

Old 03-28-2011, 06:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 297 Posts

Ford did a disservice to Jaguar by using the platform in the Lincoln line - and the later bumper design on all the Jaguars. Making the speciality Thunderbird was not an issue --- IMO

They also made a huge mistake in taking some of the common interior parts from the Mercury Sable and using them in the car. The parts were well designed and manufactured -- but it tied it to the Taurus platform. Some are mistaken that the S Type is made on the Taurus platform!

Now the "x" type --- Well ............ If you can't say anything nice

Last edited by yeldogt; 03-28-2011 at 09:50 AM.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:32 AM
Received 137 Likes on 116 Posts

I am lusting after an X308 preferably an XJR but would be more than happy with any model. Had a a 97 XJ6 so this is the next logical choice.

Old 03-28-2011, 01:14 PM

I was a stamping supplier to Ford on the Lincoln LS (DEW 98) and was involved in the program from day one. Since they shared platforms, many of my parts were used on both the S-Type and the LS. I had a chance to drive the cars back when they were introduced and at the time was not really impressed.

As a result I never really thought of the S-type again until I saw the R version in black recently. For me the nice thing would be to source many parts at my local Lincoln dealer. I would not mind getting away from the Jag dealers outrageous prices on common wear items and parts.

The big bonus is my wife has really liked the look of the S-type since day one so an approval would be an easy sell.

Old 03-28-2011, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by vdpnyc
All I see in the S-type is the Lincoln underneath... Not my taste at all - an X-type captures the Jag look much better IMO.
I've always liked the look of the X-type too but that one also is a Ford Platform and a bit small for my taste.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:03 PM

I've always liked the look of the X-type too but that one also is a Ford Platform and a bit small for my taste.
A friend has the X-type and it is pretty enough, but alas, there are significant issues. The transmission is a complete dog. Sharing a transmission with a Mazda MPV, come on! And others have said, it is generally too small, but of course, that was the target market anyway. The S-Type and the XJ series were for the individuals looking for intermediates and full sized vehicles. Also, I am a V8 guy, so I will probably never be satisfied with a V6 or smaller powerplant.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:41 PM
Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

X-type? The V6 sounds pretty bad in those. The styling is pretty ugly and cheap looking IMHO. The inside looks like a XJ that was hit with way more bean counters. It hurt the prestige associated with Jaguar. Not my cup of tea.

S-type R on the other hand.....In black or silver, they look beautiful! XJR and a black/silver S-type R are pretty close in the beauty quotient.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:34 AM
Received 137 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by burmaz
X-type? The V6 sounds pretty bad in those. The styling is pretty ugly and cheap looking IMHO. The inside looks like a XJ that was hit with way more bean counters. It hurt the prestige associated with Jaguar. Not my cup of tea.

S-type R on the other hand.....In black or silver, they look beautiful! XJR and a black/silver S-type R are pretty close in the beauty quotient.
My opinion is opposite. I drove an X type as a loaner once when my XJ was in the shop. I like the X-type styling and the interior. But that's where it ends. The platform and powertrain is unrefined, it's a Ford Mondeo/Contour platform afterall. On the highway you could hear a huge amount of road noise. It wasn't very comfortable either. I was so happy to get back in my XJ6.

I don't know what the Ford decision makers were on when they decided to take a mediocre family car (at best) put some sleek sheetmetal on it, deck the interior in wood and leather and call it a Jaguar? At least they didn't ruin the XJ or XK. Either way I'm glad the company is out of Ford's hands. The Tata group seems to understand the brand much more.

Old 03-29-2011, 06:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Contact me I am slightly interested in selling my STR here is the link.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...-05-str-52213/

Old 03-31-2011, 11:38 PM

A bit to new and rich for my wallet. It does however sound very nice.

Old 03-31-2011, 11:44 PM

I went to the dealer today and took a closer look at an STR. After seeing the car in person, I think I'm going to stick with my car. I prefer the long low lines of the XJ8 verses the s-type. Just a matter of personal taste.

Old 04-02-2011, 04:06 AM
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I was looking at them before I decided on my XJR. They are faster, but in the end my wife convinced me that she preferred the classic lines of the x308 series, she thinks the S-Type looks like a Taurus from the rear.

I think the R looks great in black, silver, or red and from what I have read the '05 onward are the ones to get.
Love the FRONT of the S-type. IMHO, the rear looks very bland--almost like it's 2 different cars: one a high-end luxury/prestige car... the other, just some American car. Too bad... that hood and radiator grill are striking and gorgeous.

SirJag

Last edited by SirJag; 04-02-2011 at 04:09 AM.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by SirJag
Love the FRONT of the S-type. IMHO, the rear looks very bland--almost like it's 2 different cars: one a high-end luxury/prestige car... the other, just some American car. Too bad... that hood and radiator grill are striking and gorgeous.

SirJag
I agree, the monochrome touches of the R from the front and profile are very striking. The lower stance of the R with the larger wheels and low profile tires complete it's look, but when you look at it from the *ss end, it is, as you said, bland... IMHO.

Old 04-02-2011, 12:30 PM
Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

I agree, the monochrome touches of the R from the front and profile are very striking. The lower stance of the R with the larger wheels and low profile tires complete it's look, but when you look at it from the *ss end, it is, as you said, bland... IMHO.

I agree. The later year S-types look even worse IMHO in the rear. Esp. The R