XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

I just changed my own timing chain tensioners........HOW TO

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 06:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sparkenzap
Mclarenfan:
This has been argued passionately time and time again. I have no interest in arguing either method and have done both myself, but I believe I can answer you question.

The chain tooth to chain tooth timing cannot move if you follow the zip tie method. But it might not be timed exactly right for several reasons, only one of which is very significant.
1) the timing might already have jumped
2) it might not be exactly right to begin with due to wear
3) the slipper pad on the tension side for the new metal tensioners is at a slightly different dimension than the old style. Applying pythorageon geometry indicated that the timing could be off about 1 degree for this difference, as I recall. So, is 1 degree important? I doubt it, but some jag owners are a little **** about stuff like that!
I need to know how to lock the crank shaft 45 degrees before top dead center, if you have any solutions To this problem i am right in the middle of the job and am at a stand still

Old 01-01-2014, 06:23 PM
Received 448 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by papafrog53
I need to know how to lock the crank shaft 45 degrees before top dead center, if you have any solutions To this problem i am right in the middle of the job and am at a stand still
You need some special tools to lock the cams and crank.

A read thru this should help: Tmingi chain and tensioner replacement

See item "V. Crankshaft setting plug E36408:" and "W. Camshaft locking tool:"

You can also do the "zip tie method," if you are just changing the secondaries, then you don't need the tools.

I hope this helps.
Vector

Old 01-02-2014, 11:01 PM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Vector,

I have read that "blackonyx" tensioner post a lot as I am doing my XJ8 L (waiting on a crank pulley tool now). I was debating just secondary tensioners or the whole project, but after I pulled the valve covers I saw plastic "chunks" and can see my primary guides have cracks in them (even in what little I can see of them....).

I don't have a manual with all the specs, so I have a couple questions. This site and its members have been invaluable to my "exposure" to Jaguar ownership, so anyone feel free in responding.

1) In reference to greasing the o-rings and seals - a standard bearing grease or does it matter? It seems the VVT and crankshaft are the only seals that get greased - is that correct?
2) In reference to the bolts that get "locktite" - it looks more like just a high-temp thread sealant. Which is correct?
3) My new primary tensioners say to "discard the old backing plate as they are spring tensioned and not oil pressured". Should the backing plates be discarded or does it matter? Is there any cause for concern then in the tensioner spacing from the block? I can't see as there would be if they are saying to discard them, or am I missing something??

Thanks for any replys guys.

Old 01-03-2014, 06:01 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

where can i get that tool from?

Last edited by Ericbilt25; 01-04-2014 at 12:27 AM. Reason: I found the vendor that sells/rents them. Thank you
Old 01-04-2014, 08:33 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I rented mine from Christopher's Forrign car parts in Ocean City NJ. Jagbits will lend th free if you buy the parts from them. Good luck the job is quite easy with the correct tools.

Sent from my iPhone

On 2014-01-04, at 4:30 AM, "Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum" <webmaster@jaguarforums.com> wrote:

Dear mclarenf1fan,

You are subscribed to the thread " I just changed my own timing chain tensioners........" by Brake buster, there have been 1 post(s) to this thread, the last poster was Ericbilt25.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-x308-xj8-xjr-27/i-just-changed-my-own-timing-chain-tensioners-4747/

These following posts were made to the thread:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-x308-xj8-xjr-27/i-just-changed-my-own-timing-chain-tensioners-4747/page9/#post883745
Posted by: Ericbilt25
On: 01-03-2014 08:01 PM

All the best,
Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 01-04-2014, 08:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found it best to use the instructions on the replacement tensioners insofar as backing plates. To get the flywheel off, I packed some 1/4 nylon rope into cylinder head 1, and brought it to tdc with a 32mm socket on the crank. I also found it best to pack some rags around the sprockets to catch any metal, or the master link, cut the old chain with bolt cutters, take out the intake cam, grease with white lith, and install the cam, chain and tensioners. The cams have flat spots, level with a straight edge, I found the sweet spot is just a little past tdc, level with angle of head.

Old 01-05-2014, 08:50 AM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ericbilt25
Eric - It's a KTC tool that doubles as the crankshaft holder and pulley puller. The "cheapest" I found it was on Amazon. Just over $200 after shipping. I may eBay it after my use - I'm doing all chains and tensioners so I don't know when I'll ever need it again (hopefully.... haha). I got the "Deluxe timing chain kit" from Christopher's in Jersey, which obviously does not include this tool. I had all these tools lined up from a mechanic buddy, but that all fell through last minute - long story, too annoying to recount.... There may be cheaper alternatives, but I'm just trying to get the tools here so I can get this job done.

Old 01-11-2014, 04:04 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Thumbs up Secondary Tensioners 98 XJ8

I guess you don't know until you look.

Haven't had the car for very long and don't know the service history but everything you can see on the car is mint. I didn't have what I would call timing chain noise but there is so much concern about the tensioners in the forum that I was afraid to start the car. I ordered the parts needed to replace the secondary tensionioners including the gaskets for the cam covers. The car has had the 4th generation tensioners installed and based on what I could see, all of the chains and primary guides have been replaced recently. The joint sealant at the timing chain cover and cam cover indicates that the cover has been removed and replaced.

I questioned the Jag shop to see if it was possible to inspect the existing tensioners with fiber optics to determine if they had the metal secondaries and was told that you would not be able to observe them. After removing the cover and seeing the cavity for myself I am fairly certain you would be able to get a close enough look to tell that much at least.

I have the tensioners and short bolts from Christophers (still in the bag) if anyone needs them at a reduced price.

I guess I don't have to soft pedal now.

Dean

Old 01-12-2014, 02:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 279 Likes on 194 Posts

You realllllly need to have a direct look at the tensioners, however you do it.

On my first XJ I was told the by the dealer per the vin and engine # that it had the updated tensioners, and was told by Johns Jaguar service in San Francisco that it would have had the updated tensioners already.

BUT, when I pulled the valve covers, it did NOT.

Do NOT trust anything but a direct view of the tensioners yourself.

This is too important.

Old 01-12-2014, 04:54 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Just to clarify, I understand that you need to actually look at the tensioners, so I pulled the cover and now I know. I just thought that others may be interested to know with the right optics, I believe that it is possible to take a very close look at the left bank secondary without pulling the cover.

I have found the forum helpful, thanks.

Dean

Old 01-22-2014, 08:55 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

2000 XK8
I replaced the entire timing end (primary chains, guides, tensioners and secondary tensioners and chains) Had a secondary failure.
Belt tensioner 40NM
cam caps 10 NM
secondary tensioner 11 NM
intake cam screw 115 NM
solenoid bush carrier 25 NM
timing case 12 NM
You will find many guys changed only the secondary tensioners. I found the primary guides to be badly worn and small pieces were missing. I think they will be back in their engines in another 30-40K.
Total cost was ~$750 for parts and rented cam locks, crank set peg, and exhaust cam torqueing wrench($55 for two weeks) and made engine immobilizer and crank puller.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 279 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by tcap1047
2000 XK8
I replaced the entire timing end (primary chains, guides, tensioners and secondary tensioners and chains) Had a secondary failure.
Belt tensioner 40NM
cam caps 10 NM
secondary tensioner 11 NM
intake cam screw 115 NM
solenoid bush carrier 25 NM
timing case 12 NM
You will find many guys changed only the secondary tensioners. I found the primary guides to be badly worn and small pieces were missing. I think they will be back in their engines in another 30-40K.
Total cost was ~$750 for parts and rented cam locks, crank set peg, and exhaust cam torqueing wrench($55 for two weeks) and made engine immobilizer and crank puller.

I've done 2ndary tensioners on 5 cars now. One of them, my 2000 XJR, had a primary tensioner fail, so I've now changed the primaries too.

Last edited by WaterDragon; 02-20-2014 at 01:35 PM.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Donzi
Why could'nt you remove the cam bearing tops so as to lift the cams up from the back and tilt them forward....remove the old tensioners and install the new ones.
If you did that and did not remove the chain from the sprokets, then no need to lock them down.......just replace the bearing caps and re-torque ....?
This is what I did with my LS8 (same motor) was quiet simple! Unfortionatly I got raped at the dealer with a whoppin 316$CND for one tensioner, learning I could have easily purchased the aftermarket metal tensioner a for 57$ a peice thru an online source! My XJ8 is seeming to have the same issue! Loud, annoying but leaves with a bit of throttle! Everyone looks at it like she's about to blow! Anyways! The method your stating, deffinatly worked for me, I didn't use any locking tools! Just paint marker, aligned cam flats, raised exhaust cam and removed tensioner! Regardless the way posted is for extra re-assurance!

Old 02-16-2014, 01:12 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Great job ! However, at my age & abilities when it comes time to have the tensioners replaced on my XK8, I'm gonna have the "man" replace mine. By your descriptions, at least I'll have an appreciation of what the Jag mechanics will go through...something I'd do if younger & inclined. Question .... can anyone tell me when it's necessary to replace the tensioners &/or the chains short of a break & engine shut-down. Or, at, how many miles should one consider replacement?

Old 02-16-2014, 01:16 PM
GGG
Received 16,853 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by tommyzr
Great job ! However, at my age & abilities when it comes time to have the tensioners replaced on my XK8, I'm gonna have the "man" replace mine. ..........
Your 2005MY XK8 already has the latest tensioners fitted.

Graham

Old 02-20-2014, 07:29 AM
Received 149 Likes on 111 Posts

On this response, I am shooting from the hip.
I am in the process of buying a 2001 XK8. This car is with a dealer an there are no mainenance records. Since it is a 2001 it has, I suppose the second stage tensioners. Which I assume were not as good as the all metal third stage.
I suppose none of us want to pull the valve covers to determine condition of the upper tesioners and find no wear or cracks.
And here's the question: Would it be feasible to drill a small hole in each cover and insert a fiber optic probe and determine the condition of the tensioners? The hole closed and ready for future inspections
Owned
2 XkE'S
1 xj6
1 xj12c
And did my own maintenance

Old 02-20-2014, 08:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,111 Likes on 932 Posts

The car you are looking at came with the 2nd generation plastic tensioners which were every bit as good as the 1st generation. All you need to verify is that the tensioners are still plastic. If plastic, no further inspection is needed and they should be replaced.

Are you attempting to negotiate price based on tensioner replacement?

Pulling the covers is not really that big a deal as all it takes is a set of 1/4" drive sockets to include a couple extensions and a flex joint.

But, yes you could drill holes if you chose to.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:13 AM
Received 217 Likes on 156 Posts

Afterburner1 - why would you send metal shavings into the engine of a car you are considering buying?

Old 02-20-2014, 09:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,111 Likes on 932 Posts

Actually, plastic shavings.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

Yeah, I believe drilling holes would be a very bad idea. The covers leak bad enough by themselves!

Quick Reply: I just changed my own timing chain tensioners........HOW TO