XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

I need more assistance......

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 11:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,112 Likes on 933 Posts

There is at least one cam angle position where all of the valves are in their seats, or at least very close to it. That position is recommended as the place to begin to remove the cam caps so there is no, or little pressure from the valve springs. The cam does not rotate even a few degrees after a chain break. Just try to manually rotate a cam.

Old 10-20-2013, 02:24 PM
Received 283 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by test point
There is at least one cam angle position where all of the valves are in their seats, or at least very close to it. That position is recommended as the place to begin to remove the cam caps so there is no, or little pressure from the valve springs. The cam does not rotate even a few degrees after a chain break. Just try to manually rotate a cam.
I didn't know there IS a position where all the valves are closed! That's a great info. Thanks. I'll find that position before I bolt the cam down.

But what kind of freak chance stopped the cam from rotating at this very place!? If the chain snapped one fraction of a second sooner or later, I would have bent valves.

Maybe it is time for me to start playing LOTTO.

Last edited by danielsand; 10-20-2013 at 04:15 PM.
Old 10-20-2013, 04:14 PM

UPDATE!

Since I AM somewhat lazy (not wasting time to shop around for a better price)I just found the complete kit on Ebay (by Christopher Foreign Autoparts), and ordered it. They were recommended on the forum by some members. The kit includes EVERYTHING I will need, and one thing I don't. It comes with TWO upper timing chains, and both have the "master link" removable (so there will be no need for the chain braker/peening tool). Now I need to figure out how to remove the right bank chain (without upsetting timing), and replace that chain with the new one, or.......I can just leave the old chain in place, and keep the new one as spare (I sure hope this will never happen to me again!!). The whole kit was $299.- with free shipping (I am in no hurry).

Now I need to 'fess something up,.......once the Garfield is fixed, I will probably sell it! Why? (I do LOVE that car!)

We are going to Idaho the following weekend, to inspect the property I've found, and to make a deal. IF everything works out, we will be moving to Idaho, come March, and I will not need x308 over there!

What I WILL "need" (more like want!), is the 03-05 Range Rover HSE! So I am shopping for that (despite my wife's objections!), and IF the property is as it was described, and as it shows in pics, I will pull the trigger on RR. I already have a buyer for X308, and he is patiently waiting for me to fix it, and maybe let him have it.

I HATE to let my cat go, but she grew up in AZ and CA, and ID winters are not for her! I am not CA native, and CA and I are not a good match! I like guns, horses, and open spaces, and despite my 140 acres, I feel cramped in CA.

If someone on the forum has the experience with the RR model I mentioned, I would appreciate any tips (VIA PM, so we don't crowd this forum). I spoke with another forum member recently, and he is also looking for the same model RR! Coincidence? Or "great minds think alike"?

Old 10-20-2013, 10:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 542 Likes on 423 Posts

Great minds think alike. Fact.

Meh- wife opted for an X5 in white. Oh well it will save us $$ in gas and it was less expensive to I guess I should be happy.

If you do one side at a time (theoretically) it should stay timed. I would recommend turning the engine at least one revolution after changing to make sure the flats remain in line before starting.

Old 10-21-2013, 03:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,184 Likes on 1,624 Posts

One thing to note when considering retaining the "precision" of the cam alignment under the zip tie method is that there are only a small number of sprocket teeth. The cam to sprocket relationship was hopefully set correctly at the factory. If the sprocket fastener is left untouched, then any misalignment would have to be a gross misalignment consisting of at least 360/(number of teeth) degrees.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by dsnyder586
Great minds think alike. Fact.

Meh- wife opted for an X5 in white. Oh well it will save us $$ in gas and it was less expensive to I guess I should be happy.

If you do one side at a time (theoretically) it should stay timed. I would recommend turning the engine at least one revolution after changing to make sure the flats remain in line before starting.
X5 is a good vehicle. I bought a new one in 08, but they are kinda "bland". Perfect "wife" car. They (wives) go bannanas when the vehicle has an "issue", and they think they can find the vehicle that they can drive indefinitely without issues. Mine would trade the Mercedes for a new one, rather that put the new tires on it! (doesn't want to "deal" with the "tire people") Took me a while to explain that the time has changed, and the money is not "easy come" any more. More like "easy go".

To me,....ANY issue presents a challenge, that I have to solve, and try to outsmart the people that designed the thing the way they can take me to the cleaners.

I will rotate the engine after the instalation, that should reveal if VVTs disturbed the timing. The best thing to do? Pull the grille, hood, radiator, front cover, and change everything, using the lock down tools. But since my Garfield will go to a new home.......I'll let the next guy deal with it (with a full disclosure).

IF the place in ID is not up to my standards, I will be staying in CA for a while longer, and the cat will stay with me. I'm almost tempted not to do anything on it, until I get back.