XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

I sat in the garage in my X308 listening to the stereo for hours when I first got it

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 10:06 AM
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Default I sat in the garage in my X308 listening to the stereo for hours when I first got it

I don't think I ever heard a car stereo that is that good. And I am pretty sure they are the original speakers. I have a very good home stereo that is better than the X308's but I could hear things in the X308's stereo that I never heard in a car stereo before.

Old 03-03-2017, 10:20 AM
Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

I agree Steve,I just have the standard system and I hear stuff on tracks that I hadn't noticed before especially if you get the front and rear fader set nicely,happy days.
Enjoy.
Andy

Old 03-03-2017, 11:19 AM
Received 153 Likes on 114 Posts

Agreed. The stock sound system in my car is good enough that I've felt no urge to upgrade it, and that's a first for me.

Old 03-03-2017, 04:20 PM
Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

I need to find replacement speakers for my HK! The PO let the car sit and damn near rotted everything. The speakers and a couple pieces of plastic trim were shot when I got the car.

Old 03-03-2017, 04:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 675 Likes on 496 Posts
Default Yep, the OEM system is very good when working properly

The X300 system is very similar to the X308, and I agree that when working properly the stock system is very good, and plenty loud enough in my opinion.

Other than to add functionality like BT, I personally don't see any reason to go through the headache to change out the electronics or speakers to aftermarket... and like many my age, I spent a lot of time and money in my youth on very expensive aftermarket auto systems. OEM systems in the last couple decades however are just really good typically, and tightly integrated with other auto systems and as such I'm surprised the aftermarket survives sometimes.

And even if you want to add BT or other aux input, there are multiple threads detailing how to do so with the stock system in place.

Often people think the system is bad, only to find out that the mid/woofer speaker surrounds have disintegrated. Repair them and it is a world of difference. Or sometimes people have replaced the stock speakers with an aftermarket that is poor power, efficiency, small theile parameter and impedance match to the factory system and then are surprised it doesn't sound right. Put in the OEM and again, it sounds very good.

But of course, opinions and tastes vary

Old 03-03-2017, 05:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 374 Posts

swapping in the Alpine oem tweeters in place of the HK oem pillar tweeters makes a world of difference - the HK tweeters are plastic, while the Alpine ones are coated cloth dome - as it should be I'm still held up on fixing the sub, the factory one fell apart, as did the junkyard replacement. Once I get around to building a custom baffle and getting a replacement sub in there, I'm sure that will fill out the missing soundstage.

Old 03-03-2017, 09:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 698 Posts

Originally Posted by al_roethlisberger

Often people think the system is bad, only to find out that the mid/woofer speaker surrounds have disintegrated.
I was just thinking how lucky the OP is to still have good speakers at the car's age. I replaced the two in the front doors when it got really bad, but I'm sure the others are pretty badly deteriorated too as it doesn't sound very good anymore. I expect its pretty common, especially in hotter climates like here in Texas. Guess I need to carry these guys in the back seat....