XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

I think my starter is shot

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 10:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think my starter is shot

Hi all,

First off these forums are wonderful. It's great that there's such a big community of Jaguar enthusiasts, and there's a place like this where we can come together to share and learn.

In the interests of learning I have a rather big problem I can't seem to get a pinpoint on after searching the forum. The other night my sister went out to start the car and it made a click and nothing. All the lights and everything works but it's not even turning over. At first the lights didn't dim at all, and I heard a low hum sound after I heard the click. Then the fourth try the interior lights started dimming, and the headlights dimmed ever so slightly. I checked all the minor fuses and I did notice some corrosion on my positive battery terminal.

Now the tow truck driver told me he thinks its my starter. I would be inclined to agree except that some of the things I have read on the forum seem to indicate that it could be a problem in the electrical system, and that there's a lot of places to start looking. Does a anyone have a suggestion for where to start? Or is it most likely that my starter is just shot?

I am truly grateful for any opinions and guidance toward a starting point.

Thanks,

Justin

Old 04-11-2012, 07:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well here's a follow up In case this can help someone else.

I took the car to my mechanic and he found that the negative battery terminal was loose where it mounts to the frame and had melted causing it to lose ground and be unable to start. Thank God it was not the starter cause this cost me just 75 bucks for the diagnosis and fix.

Thanks

Justin

Old 04-11-2012, 08:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 297 Posts

Sometimes you get lucky!

Another spot that can cause problems is the false bulkhead on the passenger side under the plastic cover (the location of all the control modules) -- you will find a positive connection that can work itself loose. This is the positive from the battery up to the engine.

Old 04-11-2012, 11:29 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Mine did the same thing only a month ago, ended up being the battery, not the starter.

Unfortunately I only found this out after replacing the starter....

Old 04-12-2012, 01:45 PM
Received 214 Likes on 133 Posts

The other area to check, even just for maintenance is the engine ground strap to the frame underneath just behind wheel well. Same high resistance can cause voltage drops and issues affecting other areas due to non zero volt ground. (Earth loop)

Old 04-13-2012, 08:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,621 Likes on 874 Posts

Hi
I agree with newby, sounds like the battery not having enough voltage. I had the issue with my Acura Legend this week. The lights work, but I just got a clicking noise when I tried to start the car.

I charged the battery overnight. Car started OK the next morning, but failed after another day.

I bought a new battery and all is well now.

Having the battery tested is a good place to start troubleshooting.

Jim Lombardi