...like I can't handle that!"

- God

The following users liked this post:
Johnny_B (08-25-2016)
Old 08-24-2016 | 08:11 PM
Veteran Member

PS - Glad you're OK!

Old 08-24-2016 | 08:33 PM

what johnny said. the prius owners here in ca drive like a bunch of azz hats.

Really? I live in SoCal and I drive about 50,000 miles per year. In all parts of LA, Orange and San Bernardino counties.
From my experience they drive very reserved. Maybe too much so. I find the so called "asshats" are usually the people with the nicer cars.

Old 08-24-2016 | 09:17 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by NJ2003XJ8
This is what happened this morning... Thanks god everyone is safe, no injures at all.

Amazingly I did not feel in danger at any time, the car handled everything with grace , and it is so solid...

XJ8 accident - YouTube

I love my car so much... I can't believe it... It looked so sad in the tow place...
The main thing is are you okay?! and sorry for your accident and is it totaled or being repaired?

Old 08-25-2016 | 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by larney
Lot Prius haters here. I don't have one but not sure why the hate. Maybe they like 50 plus miles to a gal. Maybe they like the Toyota reliability. I'm betting they don't smirk whenever they drive by one of us on the side of the road. Sometimes people have several cars. One for transportation, one for weekend cruising and one to impress. Just odd statements coming from some of you. I belong the the Cougar forum and no one on there remotely says anything bad about some one else's choice of car or the people that drive those cars. Might be a good thing if people on here did the same. They might even own a Jaguar or something maybe better???? Who knows.
Well.. I can tell you why I hate them:

-They're environmentally unfriendly to produce. Everyone "oohs" and "ahhs" at the gas mileage, and how they are "saving the world" by driving one. However, no one EVER thinks about how the car is made, or what materials go into it.

-They're ugly. Subjective, but I think most people agree that they are not good looking cars.

-Per someone that guts them and converts them over to all-electric, they would actually get better gas mileage without all the hybrid stuff. That adds a lot of weight to the car.

-With a few exceptions, the people who drive them are a**es. I group them together with BMW drivers, who also disregard laws and the well-being of other drivers (speeding, following too close, no turn signals, blowing stop signs, etc.) At least that is how it is around here.. Might be different in other places.

So yeah.. I'm not a big fan of them. In fact, I don't really like any hybrids at all.. They're pointless. If you want to make a difference, drive an all-electric vehicle powered by renewable energy that you generate at home (and make your house run on it too!) Of course, there are also environmental concerns involved with producing solar panels, etc., but it's still a good start.

There's also another method if you want to spend less on fuel... Drive less. My last daily driver was getting 8-10mpg. Didn't bother me though, and it certainly didn't break the bank in regards to fuel cost per week. Why? Because I worked 3 miles from my house. I also limited the number of trips that I made to various places during the week. My new job is even closer.. Something like 2 miles away. I've always made a point never to work more than 10 miles from where I live, or live more than 10 miles from where I work. That idea has served me well, especially considering how bad the roads can get here during the Winter. Obviously, it's not possible for everyone to do it that way, but it's a good idea if you can swing it. Having a fast, 95% stress-free commute to work really makes for a great start to the day. And it also helps on the way home after work.

Now, because my new daily driver gets much better gas mileage, I can have some fun with the supercharged V8, without paying more per week That is also a stress-reliever, just like the short commute to/from work

I'm done rambling on.. This really has no relevance to this thread. I'll shut up now

Old 08-25-2016 | 02:19 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by larney
what johnny said. the prius owners here in ca drive like a bunch of azz hats.

Really? I live in SoCal and I drive about 50,000 miles per year. In all parts of LA, Orange and San Bernardino counties.
From my experience they drive very reserved. Maybe too much so. I find the so called "asshats" are usually the people with the nicer cars.
From reading about some of the "exploits" of JF members who actually
brag about them... we don't have to look far.

BTW, I was on a Maserati forum tonight and the air was thick
with owners calling down other makes. Reminded me immediately
of JF. Interestingly, Ferrari Chat does not engage in that behavior.
Guess the Maserati owners have Ferrari envy deep down so they
call down every other "lesser" make.

I will also take time to point out that all other Jaguar themed
forums, especially the UK based forums are far more civil.

Much more relaxing to read.

++

Last edited by plums; 08-25-2016 at 02:25 AM.
Old 08-25-2016 | 05:20 AM
Veteran Member

Sorry to see that video but glad to hear no one harmed.

Old 08-25-2016 | 12:13 PM

[QUOTE=plums;1522810]From reading about some of the "exploits" of JF members who actually
brag about them... we don't have to look far.

BTW, I was on a Maserati forum tonight and the air was thick
with owners calling down other makes. Reminded me immediately
of JF. Interestingly, Ferrari Chat does not engage in that behavior.
Guess the Maserati owners have Ferrari envy deep down so they
call down every other "lesser" make.

I will also take time to point out that all other Jaguar themed
forums, especially the UK based forums are far more civil.

Much more relaxing to read.

just to be clear, I do not drive on public roads well above the speed limit. I try to drive with traffic and usually just leave a bit earlier as opposed to trying to slice and dice through traffic.

my comment on prius drivers may have been a bit of a sweeping statement but after seeing what the op's video indicated...I really was made to think at how many times per week I am pushed out of a fast lane or how many times I have some clown aggressively chop across the nose of my cars in order to gain a highway position? it happens to damn often for my taste and in san diego...it is often a prius that is flying by me @ 80-85mph.

I damn well don't appreciate that and Toyota prius drivers on the margins have little understanding of vehicle dynamics as sadly the op found out.

I hope the op is able to settle with the insurance company and be made close to whole. looked like a true pride of ownership xj. good luck and sorry for my distracting comment...I was just venting a bit.

Old 08-25-2016 | 01:25 PM
|

Thanks again to everyone. I was busy trying to get in contact with insurance, shops, and neglected this forum a bit...

I really appreciate all the comments, thank you. This car is my 'pride of ownership' :-)

I do not how know to break this news now.... but it wasn't a prius :-) And I will add that one of my friend got a prius recently and he is very happy about it.

This is the best forum! Thank you all for the support!

The following users liked this post:
gene61jag (08-31-2016)
Old 08-25-2016 | 02:08 PM

good luck to you!!!

cheers,

Peter

Old 08-25-2016 | 05:25 PM
|

Catching up....

This is the dash camera https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Little more than $30 I said. Now I would get one that records both back and forward.

I do not know yet if it will be totaled or repaired, just getting all things organized. Chances are it will be decided next week . I guess totaled, but who knows. If they can fix it to almost original condition - fine by me.

Old 08-25-2016 | 06:27 PM
Veteran Member

Glad you are OK -- that could have been nasty had the car not gone sideways. Obviously totaled.

We happen to have two Prius -- 2011 and one about a week old 2016 ..as well as a Lexus CT. I can't say enough good things about them. Almost the perfect second extra car.

The 2011 has 151k. oil/filters .....one set of tires at 90k and spark plugs at 120k. That's it -- and 50+ MPG. They just run -- never feel the electric/ICE transition. If you go online - you can see how the transmission works -- quite amazing. No starter motor -- no belts -- everything is electric -- including the AC compressor.

More and more cars will be hybrids ...

Old 08-26-2016 | 12:44 PM
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=ferraripete;1523070]
Originally Posted by plums
I damn well don't appreciate that and Toyota prius drivers on the margins have little understanding of vehicle dynamics as sadly the op found out.
Virtually no one on the public roads has any real sense of vehicle dynamics beyond memorizing outdated braking distance tables in drivers ed. They didn't take you out, hose down a parking lot and throw cones out in front of you so that you could practice accident avoidance. Why? You wouldn't remember anyway.

In my younger years, my hobby was SCCA autocross. I had gotten to where I could handle a car pretty good, or at least I thought I was pretty good. But my last season was 2001. A few years ago, I was driving the very same Toyota Supra that I had campaigned in the 90s, just to circulate the fluids as it doesn't get driven much anymore. Someone cut in front of me on the freeway. I lost control and spun off the road, luckily with no damage. I was ashamed of myself for losing control, but the more I thought about it, I hadn't practiced any extreme maneuvers in more than a decade. Its like athletes who have to practice constantly. I think they call it muscle-memory, where you don't even have to think about what you're doing, your muscles just do what they did before, only like yesterday before, not ten years ago before.

But I think everybody would benefit from doing some form of motorsport. NOW I do tend to drive like a grandma because I have experienced trying to drive on the limits of maintaining traction on a rain-soaked course. I know just how much lower the threshold is than where you'd think it is and just how little skill I have retained. If every new driver had to do a season of autocross, the public roads would be a much safer, and saner place.

On the Prius, I dislike them intensely. We have a couple in the motor pool at work and I find them noisy, harsh ride and perhaps THE MOST UNCOMFORTABLE seats installed in an automobile since the late 1890s. But my father who is 79 years old and living on a fixed income bought one. He brags after each little trip how much gas mileage he got. But I think its starting to wear on him. It was supposed to be the last new car he would buy, but he's been talking about trading it in on something more comfortable and quiet.

Old 08-26-2016 | 03:25 PM

Wow, that is scary. I take it you were on I-80, so it is amazing there was so little traffic. Best of luck with the car. Thankfully you are fine and have another cat waiting.

Old 08-26-2016 | 05:03 PM
|

Originally Posted by SickRob
Wow, that is scary. I take it you were on I-80, so it is amazing there was so little traffic. Best of luck with the car. Thankfully you are fine and have another cat waiting.
Thanks. Yes, RT80. I had early tee time (it happened Sunday at 6:45am), this is why light traffic.

I think my clubs got damaged in the trunk, otherwise why ***** are flying all over the place ?

Old 08-26-2016 | 07:12 PM

I missed the *****, I bet you missed your tee time. Where were you playing?

Old 08-27-2016 | 07:41 AM

I misread your post. It sounds like the clubs suffered terminal damage. Time for new clubs, part of your insurance claim.

Old 08-31-2016 | 04:04 PM
|

Got news from insurance, they are totaling it...

now I need few examples of comparable cars on the market to negotiate a better deal. They came up with 5.6K value.... I am not sure what I can get for this much...

Old 08-31-2016 | 10:25 PM
Veteran Member

NJ has specifics regarding how values are obtained. -- not much you can do. Absolutely ask how they determined -- and ask for more. You may get a few $$ extra.

I have an agreed value police with Chubb for 18.6k on mine. I had a house fire a few years ago -- lost 4 cars ..... having agreed value on old luxury cars is essential .. and cost almost nothing additional.

Old 09-01-2016 | 02:37 AM
Veteran Member

I'm sorry to hear they are writing off your car, I've been there. Although when my first 308 was written off, it came as no surprise.
Tough cars though, I always feel safe cocooned in a XJ. Here's a photo of mine after I was shunted into a tree at 40+mph. I walked away from this and 20 minutes later was in work, albeit p***ed off.

Attached Thumbnails I want to cry...-dsc01884.jpg  

Quick Reply: I want to cry...