XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

if you worry about rust ...

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 08:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 344 Likes on 298 Posts

I am wondering how much water actually flows through the sun roof drain -- I would think that not much ..... maybe that is why.

Old 11-11-2011, 02:02 PM
Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Stu 1986
I'd just like to point out to you that the car in the picture was submerged in some of the worst flooding that Cumbria had ever seen. Not only that, it is shown here in the process of strip down and it had sat outside exposed for a while.

I often wonder why Jaguar bothered to put a sunroof on the XJ because in my opinion not only do you lose headroom it ruins the lines on the roof.
A car without a sunroof is actually a deal breaker for me. The X308s sunroof is bad, for it is small and isn't even glass, but I use mine literally every time I drive unless its raining. I like a lot of sunlight/brightness, hence the clear glass and ivory interior on mine. The fact that the XK coupe doesn't have a sunroof was literally a deal breaker. I wouldn't want an aftermarket system though.

I don't think the sunroof is all that visible on the outside. I will admit, a sunroof on a LWB seems to not impede as much on the interior 'feel' of headroom as the SWB. The backseat headroom on the SWB is pretty cramped. I rode in the backseat of a 2001 XJ8 and thought the dip in the headliner due to the sunroof blocked my view of the road ahead. The sunroof mechanism is 5" farther up in the LWB which makes the car 'feel' less cramped as a result of the sunroof distance.

Old 11-11-2011, 02:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,367 Likes on 1,075 Posts

@Plums
Whether or not Cumbria flooded, would a coating of waxoyl not been beneficial?

No, that car was scrapped.

The Rover 825s also had far better build quality.

Probably why they went out of business long ago?

Sun roofs are crap, I had the choice when I bought my brand new bodyshell from Jaguar Cars Ltd, I opted against as
1. the added weight
2. the added complication
3. the little or no benefit to me
If I want my wig blown, I'll take the E-Type roadster, or the XK150 drophead coupe.
But like you chaps say, it's a personal thing.

Old 11-11-2011, 06:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 474 Likes on 355 Posts

I don't like sunroofs at all tbh, I never have my AC switched off so a sunroof would be useless to me. Like Sean I have the option of a Convertible for summer use, my little 71 Triumph Herald.
I'm very old fashioned British so am not partial to massive amounts of direct sunlight.

Rover have long gone because their cars fell apart and more often than not blew their engines. They leaked like a sieve and left the factory rusty. They got their act together between 98 & 2005 but sadly the management were tricked into a poor deal that killed the company.

Old 11-11-2011, 07:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,184 Likes on 1,624 Posts

A car will only last as long as it's owner cares for it to. Many UK cars didn't come with sunroofs so won't have the outlined issues above.

I'd just like to point out to you that the car in the picture was submerged in some of the worst flooding that Cumbria had ever seen. Not only that, it is shown here in the process of strip down and it had sat outside exposed for a while.
Let's presume that most owners who are on JF, who do not park in Cumbria, and whose cars are not parts cars want their cars to last longer rather than shorter.

If you read the OP, I did not say Jaguar should have rust proofed the cavity. I *did* say that the cavity is vulnerable, and that the statement in the owners manual that all cavities are rust proofed is not accurate and should not be relied upon.

Hence, it was a heads up to those who have never seen the inside of the cavity ... but also want their cars to last as long as possible.

Now, omitting routing a hose properly as was clearly intended ... that bears strong criticism. But, it is also a heads up to those who have a sunroof, and still want their cars to last.

If UK members don't have sunroofs, don't like sunroofs, don't care about the hoses and feel that primer is adequate rust protection, then so be it.

In North America, many units came with a sunroof and many owners in the rust belt are wary about relying on primer as rust protection. Knowing that the cavity is a candidate for inspection is just as valuable as knowing the scuttle is a candidate for inspection.

And the Rover 825s was a great car with great build quality in at least one unit they delivered. Whether their management were idiots and threw the company away does not diminish the car or its quality of materials and build.

Old 11-12-2011, 06:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 344 Likes on 298 Posts

I'm not sure they delivered any cars to the USA without a sunroof.

I much prefer "moon roofs" as we call them in the states ... as they bring in more light. I only use my sunroof in the fall -- nothing like a cold fall day with the sunroof open and the seat heaters on.

Old 11-12-2011, 07:27 AM
Received 87 Likes on 71 Posts

Yeah, I wish there was a source for a glass panel to replace the metal one. "Moon roofs" have more utility, more of the year.