XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Ignition coil -- 2 different ones depending on VIN!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 12:00 PM
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jimlombardi
Hi
I went on BECK/ARNLEY website and found that their headquarters is in Tenn USA. Their ignition coils (Part 1788363) are manufactured in China.

I phoned them and their customer service looked up the part number and told me that all of their regional warehouses are out of stock on this part number.

It will probably at least 3 to 4 weeks before their distributors receive their portion the 158 ignition coils that will be available. They have sold 58 of these coils within the last 2 months.

When Advance Auto Parts get them back into stock (their price is $85 plus tax) the net price would be $65 plus tax with promo code A123 ($20 discount). This discount is still in effect. I checked with Advance Auto Parts online chat box.

BECK/ARNLEY customer service person was very nice and polite and helpful. Also had very high class concert music to listen to while she found this information to give to me.

Jim Lombardi

Great info... thanks Jim. Thanks, too, for the great laugh I got from your last line about the high class concert music.

I recently bought a cassette from Ebay that came with new '99 VDPs. My favorite part of the tape (since most of the user info they discuss didn't apply to my '01) was a section with very refined, "relax-while-you-drive-in-total-luxury" music. I swear I've played it 20 times already. I consider it true Jaguar music.

SirJag

Old 04-26-2011, 01:01 PM
Received 973 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by SirJag
Can anyone tell me how to TEST an ignition coil? How do you know if one is bad? I know about rough idle, etc... but is there a standard test for these things?

Thanks,

SirJag
Without costly test equipment, substitution is the best way to isolate a faulty ignition coil on plug ignition coil. The two wire coils are easy to test with a digital oscilloscope. The four wire coils are harder to test even with a scope. The problem with them is the primary AND secondary part of the ignition system is completely isolated inside the sealed coil assembly, because it also has the control module inside. Someone experienced with a scope can narrow down to the bad coil by watching the primary current draw of several coils and noting the nuances of the scope patterns. All that costs time, money and experience. Substitution is the way to go for most folks.

Cheers,

Old 05-03-2012, 01:43 AM
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Anyone know the primary and secondary resistance levels for the coils?

Jim L was kind enough to send me some great info... thanks Jim!

Now I need the primary and secondary resistance levels for the coils and can't find them ANYWHERE! My mechanic wants to test each coil. I don't drive much and although we swapped the possible offenders with 2 others (to see if the fault codes show that the problem jumped to other cylinders), it'll take a while for me to put sufficient additional miles on my car to get the new codes.

Anyone happen to have this info? Also, resistance levels for the cam sensors would also be appreciated. This info isn't even in the Jag electrical reference!

Thanks a lot...

SirJag

Old 03-06-2014, 04:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2001 vdp and my local shop said I need to replace coils 2&4 is there a diagram for how the coils are numbered? It wasn't specified bank a of b and ik it'll make a difference if it's 1-4 on each side or 1-8 any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Old 03-06-2014, 06:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,622 Likes on 874 Posts

Probably your mechanic is telling you coil numbers based on the DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Code) - P0352 references location A2 -passenger's side (Bank 1) U.S. car second from front cylinder, P0354 is A4 - passenger's side (Bank 1) U.S. car at rear near windshield.
B1 thru B4 (Bank 2) driver's side U.S cars.

Here is the cylinder layout (Passenger side U.S. car is Bank 1 - also know as A Bank and Cylinder #1 is near the front bumper - known as location A1) Your 2001 uses the left diagram:

(passenger's side U.S. car) = A bank. #1 at front bumper, #4 at rear (near windshield)
(driver's side U.S. car) = B bank. #1 at front, #4 at rear

DTC codes for 2001 XJ Ignition coils:

P0351 EOBD Ignition coil A1 (1)
P0352 EOBD Ignition coil A2 (2)
P0353 EOBD Ignition coil A3 (3)
P0354 EOBD Ignition coil A4 (4)
P0355 EOBD Ignition coil B1 (5)
P0356 EOBD Ignition coil B2 (6)
P0357 EOBD Ignition coil B3 (7)
P0358 EOBD Ignition coil B4 (8)

Jim Lombardi

Last edited by jimlombardi; 03-07-2014 at 06:22 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Jhartz (03-07-2014)
Old 03-06-2014, 08:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks a lot. I ordered the coils yesterday so once they come in I'll install them and hopefully this solves the problem. Thanks for the info!

Old 03-06-2014, 11:18 PM
Received 90 Likes on 64 Posts

Here is a link to a photo with the Cylinder #s used in DTC labeled in RED

JagV8FireOrder.jpg Photo by pavtosa | Photobucket

I'll also attach a JPG.

I just replaced my 3rd Ignition coil for my 2000 XJ8. My OBD-II reader has paid for itself a few times over by now. I bouhg my coil from Gaudin Jaguar for $101.15 + $14.95 Shipping. LNE1510AB for my car.
http://www.gaudinjaguarparts.com/par...?siteid=214626

Attached Thumbnails Ignition coil -- 2 different ones depending on VIN!-jagv8fireorder.jpg  

Last edited by Iconoclast; 03-06-2014 at 11:23 PM.
jimlombardi (03-06-2014)
Old 03-07-2014, 03:15 AM
Received 88 Likes on 71 Posts
Default V8 coils

I had 2 coils fail within the first year of buying my 308; at 80,000 miles.
For less than $300 you can buy the set linked below, and theoretically have no more problems :-)

Jaguar Vanden Plas XJ8 XJR XK8 XKR 4 0L V8 Direct Spark Plug Ignition Coil SET | eBay

Old 03-07-2014, 10:36 AM
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by fredd60
I had 2 coils fail within the first year of buying my 308; at 80,000 miles.
For less than $300 you can buy the set linked below, and theoretically have no more problems :-)

Jaguar Vanden Plas XJ8 XJR XK8 XKR 4 0L V8 Direct Spark Plug Ignition Coil SET | eBay
HELL of a deal for less than $300 usd. I had three coils go out at 83k and paid $70 locally per coil.

Old 03-07-2014, 05:56 PM
Received 90 Likes on 64 Posts

Re which brand coil to buy. I had wanted Genuine Jaguar new coils which is why I purchased from Gaudin Jaguar. My Scottsdale AZ Jaguar dealer always charges list price or sometimes more for parts.
I don't know if aftermarket Ignition coils are as good as Genuine Jaguar coils & didn't want to chance it. I also didn't know if some of the sellers woud sell me used coils maybe off a salvaged car. I would be unable to tell the difference. So I was concerned that the cheaper aftermarket coil may seem fine & then fail in a couple of years if they were used or somehow inferior.

SNG Barratt has coils listed @ $49. Probably aftermarket since they also list a $99 coil with the same exact part #. I don't know what they charge for shipping. They may give forum members a small discount off retail price.

Old 04-06-2015, 10:55 PM
Received 221 Likes on 172 Posts

Dragging this back from the dead...

I have one failing coil pack on my car, confirmed by an OBD2 scanner.

I have a couple of questions about the coils, and a couple of follow ups...

1) Should I go with genuine or aftermarket coils?
Aftermarket seem to be about half the price of genuine, around US$50, rather than $100 for genuine. The prices are pretty consistent across a number of parts places.

2) Should I replace all 8, rather than just the one that's failing?
The car's done 120k kms (75k miles), and I have no reason to believe the coils have ever been replaced in the past. For piece of mind I'm happy to buy 8 and never worry about them again, or should I just buy two, to replace the failing one, and a second as a spare?

3) While I'm at it, should I replace the spark plugs?
Unfortunately I've had to make half a dozen or so short trips with this misfire, and it seems to spend about half it's time working ok, and half not. I'm worried that I'm causing damage to the spark plug, and possibly the Cats and O2 sensors.
When coils fail do they generally take plugs with them, or should I be ok? And again, is it worth replacing them all? I know I have receipts from the last time the plugs were changed, so hopefully I'll be able to find them soon. At the worst I think they'd be about 25-30k kms old, but could be as much as 40k kms. Which seems unlikely... Like I said, I'll try to find the receipts. At what age should they be replaced usually, and does this depend on the plug used?

4) While I've got the intake off and I'm messing around in there, should I remove the cam cover and inspect my secondary tensioners?
Well obviously this is a yes. At this point, do I need new cam cover gaskets, or can the old ones be replaced?
My thinking is that I should order gaskets, inspect the tensioners, and if they're ok (ie metal) then put the covers back on using the replacement gaskets. If they haven't, then reuse the old gaskets, buy new tensioners, and use the new gaskets when the tensioners get replaced.
Speaking of which, should I replace the spark plug seals as well, or just the cam cover gaskets?

Any input is much appreciated!

lelledge (04-04-2016)
Old 04-07-2015, 01:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,621 Posts

The sparkplug seals give more trouble than the cover gaskets. I reused both on
the tensioner replacement job. Just lightly oil with engine oil to let them squirm
to seat properly.

Did you know that old or unnecessarily wide gap plugs make coils work harder?

In that light, changing plugs would be in order.

If you need to button up and order tensioners, putting off changing plugs might
be in order until the tensioners are installed.

Platinum plugs have cost me anywhere between $10 and $25 a set.

NGK and Denso.

The following 3 users liked this post by plums:
grandell (04-08-2015), lelledge (04-04-2016), surround (10-31-2016)