XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Ignition Coils, Starting & Cat

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 04:12 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Ignition Coils, Starting & Cat

I have a 99 xj8, the wife was drivin it, turned it off and wouldnt start back up.. i have been having a misfiring issue in the past and replaced the coil and it ran great. Recently it would misfire on and off but mostly no problems. If i have 2 cylinders that are misfiring would it stop the car from starting?? also if i have raw/unburned fuel hitting the Cat could it catch fire enough to plug up the cat and stop the car from starting??? PLEASE HELP!!

Old 08-21-2009, 06:32 PM
Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

kinda rare to happen for the last part..you may have a timing chain issue.. for the first part

Old 08-22-2009, 04:02 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i pulled the codes for the check engine light and i had 3 codes that were talking misfire....ignition coils e and f detected a malfuction and a misfire in cylinder 6. it also said something about cat damage so i pulled the cat on the side it was saying and it looks completely normal i also put new plugs in. after the cat was off i started the car and it fired right up but was still misfiring....i talked with a jag mechanic and he said it dont sound anything like a timing chain issue... any ideas??? i need my jag to run!!!

Old 08-22-2009, 07:09 PM
Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

There isn't enough specific information in this thread to get you much help the way I read it.

Is the car all pieced together now? You have new plugs in it, did you replace the suspect coils? Did you check compression while the plugs were out? What codes do you have now?

It's pretty difficult to damage one of these catalytic converters, and removing one of them didn't have any effect on whether the engine would start or not. You probably just had a code for left catalyst efficiency, which is a code you would expect to see because of the left bank missfires. That doesn't mean there is anything wrong with the
O2 sensors or the cat, it just means the O2 sensors know there is unburned fuel coming out of the cylinders they are monitoring.

The engine will start and run with two dead cylinders, it will even start (with great difficulty) with one bank dead. The point jag_genius was making, and it is a valid one, is that several missfires that occur simultaneously on one bank are often caused by a cam timing problem caused by a failed secondary tensioner.

A clearer picture of where you are now will get you some ideas of where to look.