XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

I'm pretty sure I have water in my gas. How to drain the tank??

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2016, 03:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,800 Likes on 1,321 Posts

When the valve seat deteriorates (A Basic Guide To Engine Valve Failure | Southside Cylinder Heads, Engine Reconditioning Australia) then the valve itself begins failing as oil seeps by the stem, unless you think all valve seats are the same?
I have no faults with E-anything, but if your motor wasn't designed for it, it will cause failure (http://www.fuel-testers.com/list_e10_engine_damage.html). For example, E15 is designed for cars after 2001, so those prior would experience issues almost assuredly. Very similar to when lead was taken out of gas in the 70's. I'm not saying every motor will ultimately fail, I'm saying it will create issues in motors not designed for it.
Since you were in such a hurry to write your comment. Ethanol comes in a harder than rubber type plastic container, 2 different substances.

The following users liked this post:
TreVoRTasmin (06-12-2016)
Old 06-11-2016, 05:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,184 Likes on 1,624 Posts

Regardless of anyone's posturing, ethanol is at the
root of many problems.

Even the refiners and pipelines know this.

There are certain pipelines where fuel with ethanol
content is not permitted.

Tank farms have to be sure that the pumps are specifically
rated for ethanol.

The list goes on, and on, and on.

Some people just don't care, and that's fine.
But, they shouldn't deny that ethanol has certain
properties or flog others for actually noticing facts.

Last edited by plums; 06-11-2016 at 05:24 PM.
The following users liked this post:
xjay8 (06-12-2016)
Old 06-11-2016, 05:43 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by Highhorse
When the valve seat deteriorates (A Basic Guide To Engine Valve Failure | Southside Cylinder Heads, Engine Reconditioning Australia) then the valve itself begins failing as oil seeps by the stem, unless you think all valve seats are the same?
There's nothing in your link that even remotely suggests that ethanol is a contributor to valve or valve seat failure. They postulate that LPG might, but there's little evidence to support that either. LPG has been used in modern auto and industrial engines without issue for decades.

I have no faults with E-anything, but if your motor wasn't designed for it, it will cause failure (List: E10 Engine Damage & Performance Issues.).
All cars built after 1990 and many cars for years or decades before that are fully compatible with E10. The link you provided is a well know snake oil scammer that's been around also since the early days of E10. They make no mention of valve damage either.

For example, E15 is designed for cars after 2001, so those prior would experience issues almost assuredly.
E15 is only making a very limited appearance in the market place, slowed by an absolute lack of demand. Owners of pre-2001 have been cautioned, even by the evil EPA, not to use it and continue with the E10 their cars were built for.

[QUOTE=Highhorse;1479452 Very similar to when lead was taken out of gas in the 70's.[/QUOTE]

Nothing in common whatsoever, other than 99% of the doom and gloom predicted just never materialized.

It is true that ethanol in gas is an example of business mixed with politics, but the technical objections commonly discussed don't hold uhhh, water.

I've been using E10 since about 1990, never had a moments trouble with it. Other here have been using it since the 80s.

Old 06-11-2016, 09:52 PM
Veteran Member

I see y'all have never worked on engines from the 60's-70's....believe what you want, you probably wouldn't believe it if you did the test yourself. Perhaps you'll believe Popular Mechanics... E15 and Engines - Can Ethanol Damage my Engine ...Oh wait, that's another one of those snake charmers trying to scam you. If y'all can provide me with some tests proving otherwise, I'd be happy to read them. Other than that, all I have is your word and a hollow statement.
I didn't start the argument, I was only attempting to prevent future repair issues in my statement and agreeing with another member regarding the adding of more ethanol.
I also don't get this chip on the shoulder thing when trying to be cautious and turning it into an ethanol argument? We're supposed to be supporting one another with Jag issues, not sticking a finger in the other persons eye.

Old 06-11-2016, 10:07 PM

I see y'all have never worked on engines from the 60's-70's...
Actually yes I have- starting when they were brand new, and up to and including today. Never seen any of the sky is falling damage the scare mongers describe.

Perhaps you'll believe Popular Mechanics... E15 and Engines - Can...
More dogma that's yet to be proven. What's E15 got to do with the OP's problem anyway? He didn't fill his tank with it.

I didn't start the argument,
Actually, yes you did with a claim that ethanol damages valves.

We're supposed to be supporting one another with Jag issues, not confusing people with non-existent irrelevant garbage.
FTFY.

Old 06-11-2016, 11:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 723 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by TreVoRTasmin
Went out to drive my XJR today and start it up it starts fine then goes to a horrible 500rpm idle has been 2-3 weeks since I last drove her). After a few minutes I finally get some codes. It is misfiring on all cylinders. I had a clogged drain in the fill flap a few weeks back so I figured I'd have a look. Bingo, it is filled again and sitting right about the level of the cap. Nfo real rain for 3 days. I figured out that my clog was actually a burn where the drain hose must have come into contact with the exhaust so It was plugged up again. Question is how do I get 3/4 of a tank of bad gas out? Looking for suggestions. Can I pull the fuel filter and then turn the car to on and have it drain or will that not turn the pump on? Thanks for the help. Stupid, lazy me should have diagnosed a bit better.
Now that everyone has made a complete a$$ out of themselves, did you actually get your car to run correctly? That's really all I want to know.

Old 06-12-2016, 07:11 AM
Received 119 Likes on 101 Posts

Ha Ha, Yeah, running just fine. Put about 180 miles on it yesterday taking it down to 15 miles or range before filling her back up with fresh gas. Do plan on changing out the filter though for piece of mind. Glad I didn't need to drain the tank.

The following 3 users liked this post by TreVoRTasmin:
Mikey (06-12-2016), sparkenzap (06-12-2016), xjay8 (06-12-2016)
Old 06-12-2016, 08:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 723 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by TreVoRTasmin
Ha Ha, Yeah, running just fine. Put about 180 miles on it yesterday taking it down to 15 miles or range before filling her back up with fresh gas. Do plan on changing out the filter though for piece of mind. Glad I didn't need to drain the tank.
All well that ends well, thanks for the update!

Old 06-13-2016, 08:04 PM
Veteran Member

Glad to hear that Trevor....

Originally Posted by Mikey
Actually yes I have- starting when they were brand new, and up to and including today. Never seen any of the sky is falling damage the scare mongers describe.

More dogma that's yet to be proven. What's E15 got to do with the OP's problem anyway? He didn't fill his tank with it.

Actually, yes you did with a claim that ethanol damages valves.

FTFY.

I seriously want this cleared up, because my intensions were never aimed at an argument. If it was taken that way I apologize....my intensions were to show there are known consequences to certain procedures. None of what I posted was to be said as absolute, they were examples of testing, like I stated (and seemingly ignored) I have no issues with E-anything, I tend to err on the side of caution and if I failed to portray that (so it seems), then I again apologize.

Old 06-13-2016, 08:22 PM

..my intensions were to show there are known consequences to certain procedures. None of what I posted was to be said as absolute, they were examples of testing,
Thanks for that clarification, but what you posted was not known consequences of anything relevant or factual, nor were there any bona fide examples of test results.

The internet is full of bad info and scammers.

Old 06-13-2016, 10:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

Highhorse:
And I believe what you are saying which is exactly why I jumped you pretty hard- including the assumption that you were repeating what you heard. As Mikey says, there is just too much bad info that gets repeated by otherwise credible folks and becomes mainstream. Then others make decisions on the "legends". Very little of what happened in a Model A Ford engine, or a 1969 455 Chevy big block is relevant to my Jaguar AJ26 V8.

Old 06-14-2016, 03:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 254 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by sparkenzap
Highhorse:
And I believe what you are saying which is exactly why I jumped you pretty hard- including the assumption that you were repeating what you heard. As Mikey says, there is just too much bad info that gets repeated by otherwise credible folks and becomes mainstream. Then others make decisions on the "legends". Very little of what happened in a Model A Ford engine, or a 1969 455 Chevy big block is relevant to my Jaguar AJ26 V8.
I tend to agree ;o))
As is often the case....if something is repeated often enough and loud
enough, it becomes gospel ;o]

Old 06-14-2016, 06:02 PM
Veteran Member

I appreciate y'all, but my views on this go back to the 70's and my first car being a 73 Nova with the ol' 250 straight six (later a pair of 67 Mustangs a 69 Mustang and a 79 Bronco). One of the first things I had to do was the valve seats on her (amongst other things) and those were the old rubber seats. Not like now where its a pressed seat, but that was my view of the differences first hand.
Either case, we're good.... Cheers!

Old 06-14-2016, 07:07 PM

'73 GM engines had induction hardened valve seats. All engines from '71 onwards had them in preparation for unleaded gas. What ever damaged yours wasn't due to lack of lead.

Maybe file for warranty?

Old 06-14-2016, 07:22 PM
Received 153 Likes on 114 Posts

I've heard of rubber valve stem seals, but not rubber valve seats. That must have been very strong rubber if it was exposed to the 2500°F combustion chamber.

Old 06-14-2016, 07:56 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Samilcar
I've heard of rubber valve stem seals, but not rubber valve seats. That must have been very strong rubber if it was exposed to the 2500°F combustion chamber.
Yep, so correct, I did the guide seals and my friends dad let me help with a couple of the seats to say. They were worn from what was considered many miles (about 85k if I recall) back then. He thought it may had been overheated, the seals were brittle.. He showed me where the oil had varnished on a couple stems and I was lucky it didn't burn a valve. I'm not saying this is from unleaded fuel, just a first experience with a valve train.

Old 06-14-2016, 08:02 PM

I've got a set of '73 Corvette SBC heads in the garage with about 130K miles on them. Nothing but unleaded since 1976 and nothing but E10 since about 1996. Seats are original and look like new.

Old 07-01-2016, 12:14 PM
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow! Looks to me like one poster calling valve seals "seats". Still questionable but at least there is some logic to the argument, even if incorrect.