XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

I'm really considering buying this one...

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 11:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm really considering buying this one...

I've looked at a few XJ8 convertibles in the past - '99 and then a '00 but was advised strongly to get an '03 if any way possible. I'd pretty much talked myself out of one unless I could get my hands on a decent '03, which I didn't think was going to be possible. The one in the link below is available, in the colours I want (white with tan interior & convertible) and I'd love to hear your thoughts on this particular car.

You can see the carfax report on it via the link, it's had 2 owners, 1 lien on it, but don't know if that's good or bad. I can't see as much of the service on it as I'd like. I live in Columbus, OH and Chicago is close enough that I could fly out and drive it home. I don't get the impression that it's been inspected by a Certified Jaguar Mechanic, and I'd like to have that done.

So, firstly are there any specific questions I should ask the dealer via phone regarding this car before I go the the expense of hiring a Mechanic, and secondly, does anyone know of a reputable certified Jag Mechanic in the Chicago area that they'd recommend that I could hire to do an inspection. Finally, is there anything about the vehicle that's apparent to anyone that should send me running away from it.

Here's the link: http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...00&cardist=293

Thanks in advance for your time and help!

-Kelsey

Old 07-10-2009, 10:41 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have bought a few cars sight unseen over the internet and have not been burned yet. I would guess that this was driven by average owners and did not have an extensive history because it has not had a lot of problems. The 2003 dealer service that came with every jaguar, having bought one new in 2003 I remember, allowed for free service every 10k, though 40K. Every time I brought mine in for the free service, the dealer did thier best to find problems to charge to jaguar under warranty. The fact that there are trips to the dealer for service and no notation is made about replacing parts is good. I would have an inspection, and if you are not handy, I would get the extended warranty they offer, if I were you. To me it looks like something worth looking into. As for the price, I don't know whether or not that is reasonable. As a side note, I would look for an xkr because I love supercharged engines. They do not have more problems, regardless of what anybody tells you. These jag supercharged engines are fabulous.

Old 07-11-2009, 06:56 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,887 Likes on 3,194 Posts

bvigirl, doing what you are looking at, I would say to make 3 requests as a condition of sale:
1) sale may be terminated if the condition of the car does not match what they have advertised
2) an inspection (at your cost) is done to ensure mechanical integrity of the vehicle and to identify any possible accident damage
3) they will cover any and all costs for any mechanical problems during your drive home between Chicago and Columbus.

I would venture to guess that if the dealership is willing to meet those three conditions (ensure they are written on a sheet of paper that you get a copy of), then the car will be a good one for you.

On your way back home, stop by Toledo OH and eat a Tony Packos hot dog for me. The MOAD (Mother of all Dogs) is very good. There is one right off the intersection of I-75 and I-80 in Maumee OH. Every time I go home, I gotta eat one of those dogs.