XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Info on Nokia/Smarteq Handsfree Pro Kit

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 12:57 AM
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Info on Nokia/Smarteq Handsfree Pro Kit

Hi All,

My 2001 XJR x308 had a Smarteq Handsfree Pro kit installed and I wondered if anyone knows anything about them?

The cradle has since been removed and the curly cable that attached to it was severed with the cradle removal. I assume the rest of the kit is still installed.

I was wondering/hoping I might be able to hookup a bluetooth adapter and utilise the Smarteq Handsfree installed kit.

Troy.

Last edited by EscapedApe; 06-17-2017 at 01:15 AM.
Old 06-17-2017, 06:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,796 Likes on 1,318 Posts

I don't know if this will help regarding Smarteq itself (I do not know of it), but from these diagrams the phone is integrated into the head unit. I am unsure if it is the same country to country because of different Federal Communication rules. Here one is the standard head unit, the other is premium from http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Auto.../jagxj1998.pdf You may also want to (if you already don't have it), find on site and download the X308 workshop manual.

Last edited by Highhorse; 06-17-2017 at 06:13 AM.
Old 06-17-2017, 06:26 AM
Veteran Member

I searched about and found this, Hands-Free Car Kit SMARTEQ Nokia 8260 cell phones (Comparable Origi , is this the unit you have?

Old 06-17-2017, 12:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 374 Posts

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ration-177574/
That and the electrical diagram should be what you need to get it rolling.

Old 06-18-2017, 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by Highhorse
I searched about and found this, Hands-Free Car Kit SMARTEQ Nokia 8260 cell phones (Comparable Origi , is this the unit you have?
Yes, this is the same unit.

Now that I've taken a look at the unit, I'm not sure how much worth there is in pursuing it - the only "integration" is that it seems be able to mute the audio when a call is present, the audio out of the unit may or may-not have and independent speaker. The problem is going to be attempting to connect a bluetooth device to it - I doubt very much this has been done.

It might be better for me to look at one of the other solutions in these forums.

Do you know off the top of your head what type of audio system the 2001 XJR has?

Old 06-18-2017, 09:59 AM
Veteran Member

All you have to do is take a quick look. As the diagram shows, the premium system has an amp and there are tweeters on the "A" pillars and a bass in the rear deck. The amp is located with the cd changer and navi in the trunk. The tweeters alone will give it away. The bass will be located on the rear deck drivers side. If you have one, its most likely disintegrated.

Old 06-18-2017, 05:24 PM
Veteran Member

If you want to integrate bluetooth handsfree calling, then the solution I posted will be much easier than trying to retrofit bluetooth handsfree to the nokia thing - it'll be almost the same bluetooth hardware used in the end, with the nokia unit in the middle, not really serving any purpose.

If you want bluetooth audio streaming, the best thing to do is the "hack-the-cd-changer" method with a bluetooth audio device connected to that. Or, there is an adapter which effectively does the same thing, without opening the CD changer.

Old 06-18-2017, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by nilanium
If you want to integrate bluetooth handsfree calling, then the solution I posted will be much easier than trying to retrofit bluetooth handsfree to the nokia thing - it'll be almost the same bluetooth hardware used in the end, with the nokia unit in the middle, not really serving any purpose.

If you want bluetooth audio streaming, the best thing to do is the "hack-the-cd-changer" method with a bluetooth audio device connected to that. Or, there is an adapter which effectively does the same thing, without opening the CD changer.
Hi Nilanium,

Yes, I had come to that conclusion - I've just started looking at the posts on your link. Are you referring to the KCA-801B adaptor? This is the bit that threw me:

"The KCA-801B requires a 5-12V trigger to switch and inject the signal into the CD cable path, which I plan to do via the old in-car mobile phone harness. But you could use any number of methods to do so from the drivers seat. And you can choose to install the KCA-801B either up front between the head unit and it's AiNet/M-Bus cable, or as I'm doing in the trunk between the cable and CD changer. In many cases, it might be easiest to do it up front, especially depending on how you want to hook up, utilize your BT receiver and trigger the KCA-801B."

I'm not sure exactly what that means, I thought I would be able to just select CD and it would switch to the line-in device?

Old 06-18-2017, 08:48 PM
Veteran Member

I don't know too much about the inline AiNet adapter, but it sounds like that just means it needs a trigger signal to turn "on" the adapter. If you're in CD mode and the adapter is off, then you play your CD's. If you're in CD mode and the adapter is triggered on by whatever way you trigger it, then it'll play the aux audio.

You can send that trigger signal however you want - a manual switch off a 12v line to let you switch it by hand, the antenna turn-on wire so that the adapter turns on with the head unit (so always on aux audio, no CD audio), etc.

The adapter just acts as an aux input - you will also need a BT audio unit to connect to the adapter. Those should be reasonably easy to find.

Old 06-19-2017, 07:49 PM

Unfortunately I can't seem to find the KCA-810B part anymore.

I know the audio system part no. are LNF4100BA (Alpine AJ2001W) but am unsure what Alpine systems this is similar to.

I've found these items but am not sure if they are worth trying:
Alpine CDA-7990 CVA-1005 CVA-1006 CDA-9820XM CDA-9825 Bluetooth Adapter | eBay
Bluetooth module for ALPINE KCA121B AI-NET CD AUX cable Input Adapter | eBay

...or if I'm reduced to the cable-snipping mod mentioned elsewhere :-)