XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Inherited my Dad's XJ8 2000 with 20K miles

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2021, 05:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inherited my Dad's XJ8 2000 with 20K miles

I want to keep up my dad's Jag the way he did... I inherited it a few months ago ... 2000 XJ8, White with a Beige interior. Regrettably, I live in Florida with no garage... Two questions: (1) What service do I need after 20 years and 21,500 miles (don't know its service history), and (2) should I have it tinted now I have no garage... also.... My MB S550 is limo tinted and I love it.... should I do same or get something more aesthetically pleasing.

Old 05-24-2021, 06:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 698 Posts

You should be in the X308 subsection, but one of our mods will be along shortly to fix it. I don't like tinted windows myself, especially on spindrift white, but if you don't have a garage, its a necessity. Try to get max UV protection. I would also look into getting the exterior treated to maybe some kind of ceramic coating. Otherwise, you need to keep a good synthetic wax coating on it at all times, which in Florida means probably a lot more frequently than you'll actually do. Oh yeah, you'd wax it once a month this summer, but by next summer you'll do it half as much and by the third summer..... and before you know it, the car needs repainted. And keeping the leather properly conditioned and doing that frequently enough will be critical as well. If the car will only be driven occasionally, like on weekends just to go out to dinner, then consider a car cover. But if its going to be daily driven, a car cover will be more trouble than its worth because you can only put it on right after you've washed it. Once you drive the car anywhere, its too dusty to put the cover back on or it'll make swirl marks in the paint that'll have to be polished out. Definitely get a sunshade for the windshield.

But the main thing you need to do immediately is to go through dad's maintenance records and confirm if the timing chain tensioners were upgraded. Given the mileage, I suspect they have not. But its fatal flaw, a ticking time bomb, a grenade shaped like a cylinder head, two of them. If the records don't indicate such being done, you need to drive it straight to a qualified indy mechanic and have them remove a valve cover to inspect the timing chain tensioners (or search here for instructions and DIY if you are so inclined). If it still has the faulty plastic tensioner design, it needs to be upgraded immediately. You can get away with having only the "secondary" tensioners done at a lower cost and wait on the primaries till it needs maybe an oil leak or something fixed. The secondaries are the ones that grenade often without warning. The primaries can fail, but are far less likely to and even so usually don't result in a catastrophic engine failure like the secondaries do.

Beyond that, I'd make sure all the fluids have been changed. 21 years regardless of miles is way beyond Jaguar engineers ever imagined for any of the fluids, so just change them all. And I'd check all the rubber parts, belts, hoses, suspension bushings. Change any that seem suspect at this age, but if they all seem intact, soft and pliable like a new car with 21K miles, then just keep an eye on them. Its generally a pretty reliable car if you change the secondary tensioners, but age creeps up on it just like it does us humans.

Old 05-25-2021, 02:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,455 Likes on 1,951 Posts

Phil is absolutely right on what to do, but don't forget to start posting in the X308 section, This is in the Forum group called "Jaguar Models (Modern)".

Old 05-25-2021, 05:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thank You

Thank you both. I look forward to learning more about these fantastic vehicles. I will, going forward, post to the proper space.

Old 05-28-2021, 02:38 AM
GGG
Received 16,860 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by MartinRock60
I want to keep up my dad's Jag the way he did... I inherited it a few months ago ... 2000 XJ8, ......
Welcome to the forums MartinRock60,

I've moved your thread from X351 to X308 forum. This is the place to post questions about your model.

Graham

Old 05-28-2021, 06:03 AM
Received 107 Likes on 74 Posts

This suggestion is probably not a must do right now. I got an '03 with 30k last year. It was suggested when changing the transmission filter and fluid to have the primary pressure valve replaced with an updated, stronger one as the original valve in the ZF5HP24 transmission is under-designed and can lean to transmission troubles down the road. It cost me a tad under $1,000 to have that done. But this is preventive maintenance, not the must-do like timing chain tensioners.

Old 05-28-2021, 08:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,010 Likes on 613 Posts

Martinrock,

Congratulations on your new ownership of such a low mileage XJ8!

It sounds like it has been well cared for all these years, and with such low mileage it is a rare machine.

The X308 Jaguar is a fine machine, but it is now 20+ years old, and despite your low mileage you would be well advised to spent a lot of time on this forum researching routine maintenance and known repair items common to this marque and age.

Rather than going into great detail of each of the known items, here is a list of the common ones you should research and at least be knowledgeable about. All of these items are discussed in detail on this forum and there are plenty of forum members more than willing to answer specific questions during your research.

1) Replacement of primary and secondary timing chain tensioners.

2) Replacement of plastic thermostat housing with a metal upgrade

3) Replacement of the two heater hoses and 3-way connector located under the intake manifold.

4) Check the front shock absorber bushings, if they are deteriorated, replace the mounts.

5) Check the rear ride height, if it is low replace the rear shocks and shock bushings.

6) Installation of an upgraded "Transgo" pressure valve in the automatic transmission to prevent future failure.

7) Be prepared for a possible fuel pump failure.

8) If, and only if, you have a strange vibration between 50-70mph, replacement of the carrier bearing and Jurid couplings on the main driveshaft.

9) Check the two fluid engine mounts for leakage or rubber separation. Replace as necessary.

Last edited by Carnival Kid; 05-28-2021 at 10:13 AM.
Old 05-28-2021, 09:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,806 Likes on 2,239 Posts

When you replace the heater hoses under the manifold, you should also replace the 'spider' hose while the manifold/ throttle body are off. The Norma fittings at each end eventually leak.

Please realize that if you have a shop carry out all of the work suggested the cost will probably exceed $10K.

Old 05-28-2021, 12:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 871 Likes on 718 Posts

I am betting you don't do this work yourself: find a really good independent shop specializing in Jags and Land Rovers and let them manage the care. They will do most of the lubes and fluids and check the known weakspots identified so far.. I have been told there are many in your area.

Still, at twenty years, even with very low mileage, time has a way with plastics and rubber seals and bushings. Where was it garaged before; was it driven in snow (guessing not)? Enjoy: lot more fun to drive than Mercedes limo . . .

Last edited by Jhartz; 05-28-2021 at 12:13 PM.