XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Injector Cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 04:05 PM
Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts
Question Injector Cleaning

Since I have my heads off for restoring I thought it might be an opportune time for injector service. While I don't know if they really need it, the throttle body had a good bit of varnish and there are some signs of misfire in the plenum around the injector tips.

I got an estimate of $165 including shipping both ways from these guys:
http://www.jaguarfuelinjectorservice.com/

My head job is coming in under budget so I could afford it, but there are many other Jaguar-related things to spend my money on (as you are well aware).

Recommendations, encouragements, and warnings are appreciated!

Old 08-02-2010, 07:28 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

seems like a fair price to me since i had my injectors cleaned at a jaguar dealer and i paid for 1.6 hours of labor for the job.

Old 08-03-2010, 03:03 AM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

The maintenance schedule doesn't mention injector cleaning. When is it recommended? I have an '03 XJR (X308) with just over 50K miles

Thanks

Old 08-04-2010, 06:20 AM

The cleaning and restoring of injectors may be of minimal value, but some gas savings and performance boost is worth the relatively small cost for me. Plus, I will know they are up to specs when I put my engine back together.

I think seeing my injectors (@ appx. 75K miles) was the most compelling thing! Here are the "before" pics - I will post the "after" when they come back:

http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/59922...ctors?h=0f8e14

Old 08-04-2010, 08:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,897 Likes on 7,163 Posts

Originally Posted by jaginblack
Since I have my heads off for restoring I thought it might be an opportune time for injector service. While I don't know if they really need it, the throttle body had a good bit of varnish and there are some signs of misfire in the plenum around the injector tips.

I got an estimate of $165 including shipping both ways from these guys:
http://www.jaguarfuelinjectorservice.com/

My head job is coming in under budget so I could afford it, but there are many other Jaguar-related things to spend my money on (as you are well aware).

Recommendations, encouragements, and warnings are appreciated!

The outfit you've selected has an outstanding reputation.

Injectors degrade slowly over time so it's easy to miss the change. Every time I've had injectors cleaned the car has run noticeably better.

Cheers
DD

Old 08-04-2010, 09:58 AM
Received 2,192 Likes on 1,358 Posts

so does www.injectorrx.com for $18ea onboard cleaning does nothing compared to sonic cleaning, rebuilding, and flow testing before and after with printouts.
Jaguar wants its dealers to buy the equipment to do off the car cleaning and rebuilding but its hard to justify $8000+ for that machine. thats alot of cleaning to sell And the extra labor to remove, vs onboard cleaning. BUt there is NO substitute for having the injectors flow checked and balanced with new screens, orings and sonic cleaning. We send ours out to the company above and they have found many problems for us that we could never see in the car with issues like hard starts(injector leakage) high speed misses(injector just decides to shut off at a certain duty cycle etc) And like Doug said, You just dont notice the degradation of performance/economy over time.
I meen that 50 extra pounds just didnt pop out above your belt overnight after college did it

Old 08-04-2010, 11:46 AM

Thanks for the feedback! I will follow up with how my vendor experience goes. Jaguar Fuel Injector Service's process description sounds the same as Brutal's vendor. I am waiting for a preliminary report now, generated before any cleaning is performed.

Sure to beat a bottle of Lucas and high hopes...

Old 08-05-2010, 11:12 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I know this is an old thread, but I notice you say about ultrasonic cleaning as two of my injectors are being a bit noisey and I was looking around for answers... Does the noise suggest they need a clean, or does it mean they're on their way or something? Also, I have access to an ultrasonic cleaner at work (which I use for carbs), will that be suitable for popping my injectors in do you think? How does the cleaning affect the electronics of them?