XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Inner rear view mirror ... kaput ...

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2019 | 08:31 AM
|
Veteran Member
Default Inner rear view mirror ... kaput ...

I have a question:
My VDP is equipped with the electrochromic rear view mirror with auto-light sensor.
Today I noticed that the mirror discolored, that after I installed a replacement some 5 1/2 yrs ago.
Luckily it did not leak (yet).

Now, I know about the repair option by Sybesma, but as I made one-out-of-two that time, I doubt they can split the housing again on this one.
A new Jaguar replacement cost in the area of 400 USD., a second hand including repair and shipping will not be much less I am afraid.

I also see the non-electrochromic versions for much less.
I can live without that option, as I never drive in the night anyway.
But for you out there having a non-electrochromic mirror, do you still have the auto-light function?

Old 10-09-2019 | 03:31 PM
Veteran Member

Do you have the rain sensor also?

Old 10-09-2019 | 07:43 PM
|
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Highhorse
Do you have the rain sensor also?
Nop, just the auto lights (with the yellow connector).

Old 10-30-2019 | 08:35 AM

Same thing happen to my 98xjr, bought a used one on ebay and now my.mechanic says he cant install it because the wiring of the one i bought is different... apparently the new one i bought has a rain sensor and the one in my car hasnt

Old 10-30-2019 | 09:35 AM

SYBESMA'S repairs all mine but I live in the US.

Old 10-30-2019 | 08:33 PM
Veteran Member

On the x308's the auto-light function is part of the auto dimming circuitry. Seems pretty uncommon from what I could tell when I looked into this a while ago, I think most auto-light setups on cars use a discrete ambient lighting sensor instead of relying on the mirror. Floppy mirrors won't have that function.

If you're very crafty and somewhat lucky you can try and find a similar mirror at your junkyard and swap the glass element for a like one. Mirrors with the circuitry are specific to the x308, but many other cars in the same era that had Donnelly auto-dimming mirrors have the same shape glass. The glass is all you need, doesn't matter if the circuitry from the donor mirror is different. If you can disassemble your mirror without breaking the housing, desolder the old mirror and solder the new one one, and reassemble your mirror, you're set. That's what I did, and while it doesn't look perfect at up close inspection around the edge, it's worked fine since then, and kept the auto lights function.

Alternatively, you can just take any auto-dimming mirror, the mounting point from the old x308 mirror, unceremoniously combine the mounting systems, and then connect the power/gnd/reverse int lines. You'll lose auto headlights, but you will keep auto dimming and "reverse interrupt" functional. I did that as a temp fix while I was doing the transplant job mentioned above.

Old 10-30-2019 | 09:22 PM
|
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Phoenix07
Same thing happen to my 98xjr, bought a used one on ebay and now my.mechanic says he cant install it because the wiring of the one i bought is different... apparently the new one i bought has a rain sensor and the one in my car hasnt
Originally Posted by nilanium
If you're very crafty and somewhat lucky you can try and find a similar mirror at your junkyard and swap the glass element for a like one.
I did exactly that before, and found it very doable.
As long as you can stand the cracking noises, they sound pretty horrible, but my both mirrors came out ok, and the one I made from those 2 looks pretty perfect.
If you have that option, just do it.

Originally Posted by motorcarman
SYBESMA'S repairs all mine but I live in the US.
I was indeed planning to have one fixed up by Sybesma for the rest of my life / car life.
Highhorse found an other one, offering the same, but as I unfortunately broke my wrist in a bike accident, I did not check on them yet.

Old 03-17-2023 | 08:45 AM

Hey everyone! So our shop has used sybesma for years but I came across this website in one of the forums on here and they are much more affordable. It's $99 from this website to fix that problem https://www.radar-mirror.com/mirror_repair/
Hope this helps!

The following 2 users liked this post by Sabrinaservicewriter:
Jhartz (03-20-2023), motorcarman (03-17-2023)
Old 03-18-2023 | 10:43 AM
Veteran Member

I posted about them years ago, I even sent them a test mirror out of a yard that was quite in bad shape. They repaired it and did a fine job on it, I think I've got it in my garage attic? I can't find the thread, nor the pics in my albums, so most likely it was lost on the site upgrade about 6 yrs ago.

Old 03-18-2023 | 11:59 AM
Veteran Member

Who knew mirrors could get so complicated? The mirror is the Duchess
has always been fine, but it's nice to know there is a solution should she
throw a tantrum.