XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Installed Mina Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 08:22 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Installed Mina Exhaust

I met up with Viapa to buy his Mina pipes for cheap. It is a behind-axle system. After a trip to Autozone for 2" clamps I was set. The next day I rolled the back wheels up ramps and had everything unbolted and off within an hour. Installation was even easier after swabbing the ends with caliper grease. The polished pipes look good. I need to make a fit adjustment since they are a little cockeyed. I had the center resonator replaced with straight pipes a while back and this combination sounds good on initial startup and a neighborhood cruise. I will report back after a few days of driving.

Old 10-16-2011, 04:23 PM

Pics after install. The sound is mellow and respectful to the brand and doesn't draw much attention. The deep growl comes out the back instead of coming in the cabin. Since my resonator was removed a little more rumble already is coming in from underneath. With as little as I paid, I am happy with the modification.

Old 10-16-2011, 04:34 PM
Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by squish
Pics after install. The sound is mellow and respectful to the brand and doesn't draw much attention. The deep growl comes out the back instead of coming in the cabin. Since my resonator was removed a little more rumble already is coming in from underneath. With as little as I paid, I am happy with the modification.

Looks good. Any sound clips/videos of it?

Old 10-16-2011, 07:15 PM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

looks good, and so does the side of what I assume is your red V70R based on your signature. I've been driving an S60R for a few months now and what a car!

Old 10-16-2011, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by JaguarXJR02
looks good, and so does the side of what I assume is your red V70R based on your signature. I've been driving an S60R for a few months now and what a car!
yep, that's the wife's. amazing car

Old 10-17-2011, 04:31 PM

Video doesn't sound that good, but it's an attempt. Mina Exhaust 2003 Jaguar XJR - YouTube

The following users liked this post:
burmaz (10-17-2011)
Old 10-18-2011, 03:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

Hey,that's good sound at least not farting lol

Old 10-18-2011, 07:25 PM
Received 110 Likes on 83 Posts

Sounds great- I've heard some people use Mina exhausts which somehow sound really awful... I'm guessing there is a combination of a Mina Muffler and a straight pipe in those cases though. Sounds great, I'd love to stand on the curb and hear it accelerate away!

Old 10-18-2011, 10:24 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds pretty nice.

Old 10-19-2011, 03:50 AM
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds great !

Which resonator did you take out exacly , the double one or the two middle ones ?

Do you know if each resonator has it's specific frequentie (high pitch v.s. rumble) that is muted ?

thanks for charing

Old 10-19-2011, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by popeye68
Sounds great !

Which resonator did you take out exacly , the double one or the two middle ones ?

Do you know if each resonator has it's specific frequentie (high pitch v.s. rumble) that is muted ?

thanks for charing
The large, center resonator located directly underneath the cabin had developed a buzz and had to go. Two independent pipes were welded in its place. I think it was designed to eliminate low frequency tones since a deeper exhaust sound appeared when it was replaced.

Old 10-19-2011, 11:43 AM

The large, center resonator located directly underneath the cabin had developed a buzz and had to go. Two independent pipes were welded in its place. I think it was designed to eliminate low frequency tones since a deeper exhaust sound appeared when it was replaced.
Would you recommend just removing the center resonator? Does it drone on the highway or make any noises that are annoying? Mine has a small leak, and I'm tempted to remove it. I would like my exhaust to sound exactly the same as stock, but just deeper in tone. A performance sounding exhaust is great for a XJR, but not so much for a Vanden Plas so I would like to only slightly increase the sound.

Btw I like your Volvo V70R. Those look much better/classier than the Volvo XC90 by far.

Old 10-19-2011, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by burmaz
Would you recommend just removing the center resonator? Does it drone on the highway or make any noises that are annoying? Mine has a small leak, and I'm tempted to remove it. I would like my exhaust to sound exactly the same as stock, but just deeper in tone. A performance sounding exhaust is great for a XJR, but not so much for a Vanden Plas so I would like to only slightly increase the sound.

Btw I like your Volvo V70R. Those look much better/classier than the Volvo XC90 by far.
Yes, do it. No increase in volume, just a bit more rumble.

The V70R is very different than the XC90 even though it is on the same platform. I like wagons more than SUVs.

Old 10-19-2011, 03:01 PM
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the info !

I'll try that soon.

Old 10-19-2011, 04:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 474 Likes on 355 Posts

If ever there was an engine designed to be heard it was the V8. I would like more of the gurgle from mine to be heard. Sean B's XJR 100S has a full paramount system fitted which sounds pretty good and doesn't produce an offensive drone. If you stood on the kerb to hear it pull away you wouldn't hear much because it's so fast! :P

Old 10-19-2011, 06:51 PM

This is some acceleration in second gear near my neighborhood to let you hear inside the car. Notice how it stays mellow while still making a good V8 sound (over the SC whine). Mina Exhaust Sound Inside 03 XJR - YouTube

Old 10-30-2011, 07:18 PM

Does yours sound similar to this? This is a great sound too.

Jaguar XJR V8 Sports Exhaust - YouTube

Old 10-30-2011, 10:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

considering getting a Mina exhaust for my 2003XKR.

thanks for the post, sounds great.

Old 10-31-2011, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by burmaz
Does yours sound similar to this? This is a great sound too.[/url]
That does sound good. I doubt mine sounds just like that tho. Prob more mellow. I'll try to get one of my kids to record a launch like that video. But since he's seven, I gotta make sure he doesn't blab to his mom that "Dad is smoking the tires again!"

Old 11-05-2011, 09:34 AM
Received 138 Likes on 91 Posts

I've had the Mina Exhaust on my XJR-100 for about six years now. Love the sound and the appearance. I remove them for a thorough cleaning about every three months and they still look brand new !!

Enjoy your ride !!

Mark

Quick Reply: Installed Mina Exhaust