XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Instrument cluster smd replacements

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2017, 06:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Instrument cluster smd replacements

Hi 1998 XJ8 3.2. My headlight on light (green one) on the dash has gone out. I assume this is one of the tiny soldered in SMD leds inside the cluster?

If so can anyone tell me what that item description/rating is and where these things are sold please?

Also has any seen or have a description of how to disassemble the cluster. (I don't mean getting it in and out - that's very easy and I've done it often to change the lighting bulbs.

Any assistance appreciated thanks (especially on where to get the smd's from)

Regards

Greg

Old 10-01-2017, 10:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,988 Likes on 2,125 Posts

Nope, the headlamp light is actually a tiny incandescent bulb in a front mounted socket. You do need to take the cluster apart to access the front of the printed circuit board, but the bulb is a tiny 'E73' wedge type bulb.

You first need to remove the back panel of the gauge cluster.

You then need to gently unplug the four white connectors from the top of the gauge cluster. The white plugs pull straight out. If there is enough clearance, you can lightly grip them with pliers and pull straight out, otherwise gently pry the white part a bit from each side with a small screwdriver till each connector is free. Do not damage or pry near the ribbon cable side of the connectors.

The circuit board can then be tilted out from the top for access, while leaving the red LCD display connector in place at the bottom.

Old 10-02-2017, 03:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 474 Likes on 355 Posts

Have a look through my thread here, I actually replaced the same bulb you need. I have posted photos of the disassembled unit and bulbs.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...vation-166459/

Old 10-02-2017, 06:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default headlight warning bulb

Thank you guys very useful info. Im all set now tks. Any idea where we get these little bulbs or what their part number is?

Rgds

Greg

Old 10-03-2017, 03:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 474 Likes on 355 Posts

I've had a look and part number is LJA4390BA and is £3.46 from Jaguar. If you google that part number you may find out what the bulb type is and find it cheaper or more redily available in Australia.