XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Instrument pack PIN Schematic x308

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 09:59 PM
Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Instrument pack PIN Schematic x308

Can any one advise where the PIN SCHEMATIC is to be found for the 2 large pin connectors to the instrument pack for the x308 (1999)?

I am missing the green side light icon on the dash after doing a bulb replacement. I must trace the pin/wiring to see why it doesn't show up either when the car is initally started (when all the icons light up) nor when the side lights are activated (they come on as normal).

best regards
Pere

Old 01-16-2014, 10:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,989 Likes on 2,125 Posts

Originally Posted by osyris
Can any one advise where the PIN SCHEMATIC is to be found for the 2 large pin connectors to the instrument pack for the x308 (1999)?

I am missing the green side light icon on the dash after doing a bulb replacement. I must trace the pin/wiring to see why it doesn't show up either when the car is initally started (when all the icons light up) nor when the side lights are activated (they come on as normal).

best regards
Pere
I assume you mean the low beam headlight icon. The bulb for this is on the front of the circuit board and it must be entirely disassembled from the case to gain access.

The schematic and tracing wires will not help...the signal lamps in this module are all computer controlled by a microprocessor on the instrument cluster circuit board. You need to open it up and replace the bulb. It is socketed, so at least no soldering is involved.

Old 01-17-2014, 03:56 AM

Just to clarify, I am referring to the green icon , looks like 2 eyes with the eyebrows on the side instead of the tp. Its right next to the right hand indicator (Australia).
Are you saying that this is an LED bulb inside the circuit board? I replaced all the othe external wedge bulbs, 4 big 4 small which are socketed.

How do I open this cluster up. I took the back cover off and its all just a cuircuit board. I took the front cover off but it only reveals the dials and didn't go any further.

best regards
Peter

Old 01-17-2014, 04:10 AM

Heres a picture of the green icon on this webpage.. scroll down. The sidelights/parking lights, green icon looks like 2 eyes with eyebrows on the side.
Jaguar XJ8 instrument cluster Speedo (98 on). - Cluster Repairs UK
Can anyone advise or proved info on how to open it up to replace a supposed LED bulb inside?
regards
Peter

Old 01-17-2014, 05:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 219 Likes on 181 Posts

No background illumination to LCD display. From your link Peter.

Does your dash light up during day time without turning on parkers/head lights ?

My speedo is so hard to read I'm thinking it might be,or it should be.

Old 01-17-2014, 05:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 219 Likes on 181 Posts

Post duplicated for some reason and never found out how to delete a post!

Last edited by Gippsland; 01-17-2014 at 05:08 AM.
Old 01-17-2014, 05:37 AM

yes my dash lights up during day, without the parklights being turned on.
I think you need to replace one of the 4 big bulbs as I did. 2 were not working.

The following users liked this post:
Gippsland (01-19-2014)
Old 01-17-2014, 05:38 AM

Someone mentioned that there is an LED light for that green icon inside the circuit board. I have opened it up a little from the back, and peeked inside a little, I can see a few LED lights in there, but cant figure on how to separate the circuit board from the case. That LED must be dead and needs to be replaced.

Has anyone opened up the circuit board from the instrument cluster?

I note there are 4 x 10mm sized pin connectors on the upperside, then a red pin connector at the base. They look like they need to be disconnected to allow the cicuit board and case to separate. Then to replace that LED bulb.
Anyone have directions.
best regards
Peter

Old 01-17-2014, 07:50 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by osyris
Someone mentioned that there is an LED light for that green icon inside the circuit board. I have opened it up a little from the back, and peeked inside a little, I can see a few LED lights in there, but cant figure on how to separate the circuit board from the case. That LED must be dead and needs to be replaced.

Has anyone opened up the circuit board from the instrument cluster?

I note there are 4 x 10mm sized pin connectors on the upperside, then a red pin connector at the base. They look like they need to be disconnected to allow the cicuit board and case to separate. Then to replace that LED bulb.
Anyone have directions.
best regards
Peter
This one is a tiny incandesecent bulb, not an LED, though some of the other indicators are LEDs.

To gain access, remove the rear white instrument cluster back cover screws and the cover itself. Then GENTLY unplug the four 4x10mm ribbon cable connectors at the top of the cluster (they pull straight out...you can grab them with pliers but do not sqeeeze too hard or the connector will be damaged) and the one red LCD connector a the bottom of the cluster. At this point you can lift the circuit board out of the case. To remove the bad bulb, simply pull it out of its socket. This is called a 'E73' bulb and is the smallest wedge type bulb made.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 01-17-2014 at 07:52 AM.
Old 06-19-2014, 11:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Broken Red Wire in Instrument Cluster

Ugh, tonight we attempted to replace the bulbs we thought had burned out in the Instrument Cluster only to find a Red broken wire which had come out of one the pins, along with a white wire that is attempting to eject also but still in the pin. The second problem is that there is no manual lever to adjust the steering column, which will not move either. Can anyone please tell us which pin the red wire goes to and whether or not the white wire will allow the steering column to function. Also, is this repairable or should a complete harness be purchased? Thank you in advance for your help and input.

Old 06-20-2014, 07:59 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by soprecious
Ugh, tonight we attempted to replace the bulbs we thought had burned out in the Instrument Cluster only to find a Red broken wire which had come out of one the pins, along with a white wire that is attempting to eject also but still in the pin. The second problem is that there is no manual lever to adjust the steering column, which will not move either. Can anyone please tell us which pin the red wire goes to and whether or not the white wire will allow the steering column to function. Also, is this repairable or should a complete harness be purchased? Thank you in advance for your help and input.
Is it a solid red wire without a colored stripe? If so, then that is the MI/KM button on the trip computer panel, which you should find is non-functional. It goes in position 14. If it has a colored stripe, please tell us which color.

See the attached document, steps 18 and 24 for pin position identification. The connector pins have locking tabs that may need to be gently bent outward to allow the pins to remain in place. If the locking tabs have broken off, contact me and I can make you a 'pigtail' with replacements pins to repair the harness for a nominal cost. Replacing the harness would be difficult and prohibitively expensive.

Attached Files
Old 06-20-2014, 10:08 AM

Yes Sir, it appears to be a red wire with a dark (black) strip. I really could not see it very well as it is sitting in the garage with bad lighting but I will attach two photos of the wire which situated n the right side below the gages. This problem began right around the time I replaced the BCM however, since I am not much of a night driver, I had not noticed the Dash Gages nor anything else. I am a get in and start-her-up type of person but noticed that the Message Center was not working.

Again, thank you so very much for your prompt response and for helping in this situation. My friend is mechanical only (can remove and re-install things).

Attached Thumbnails Instrument pack  PIN Schematic x308-red-wire-1.jpg   Instrument pack  PIN Schematic x308-jag-gauge-ii.jpg  
Old 06-20-2014, 10:28 AM
Veteran Member

Yes Sir, it appears to be a red wire with a dark (black) strip. I really could not see it very well as it is sitting in the garage with bad lighting but I will attach two photos of the wire which situated n the right side below the gages. This problem began right around the time I replaced the BCM however, since I am not much of a night driver, I had not noticed the Dash Gages nor anything else. I am a get in and start-her-up type of person but noticed that the Message Center was not working.

Again, thank you so very much for your prompt response and for helping in this situation. My friend is mechanical only (can remove and re-install things).
Sorry, those pictures are very out of focus and I cannot determine exactly the problem. There is not a red/black wire, but there is an orange/black wire on the right side of the gauge cluster. Could it be that? If position #7 is missing a wire, that would be it. That wire is the vehicle speed signal to the adaptive damping module. You might not even notice anything if that is the problem.

As for the steering tilt problem, check if fuse number 8 in the left rear fusebox is OK. If it is, try operating the tilt control repeatedly, sometimes they just have dirty contacts and if you start using it will begin to work.

Old 06-22-2014, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
Sorry, those pictures are very out of focus and I cannot determine exactly the problem. There is not a red/black wire, but there is an orange/black wire on the right side of the gauge cluster. Could it be that? If position #7 is missing a wire, that would be it. That wire is the vehicle speed signal to the adaptive damping module. You might not even notice anything if that is the problem.

As for the steering tilt problem, check if fuse number 8 in the left rear fusebox is OK. If it is, try operating the tilt control repeatedly, sometimes they just have dirty contacts and if you start using it will begin to work.
Geez, I really blew this one - the color of the wire is orange with a purple stripe (Kudos to my son with good eyes). What is not working is the dash lights (especially the message center) and the steering column. I will go back out and try and move the steering column button and see if it will move. Again my apology for the mix up in the wire color. And let me know what you will charge for the piggy back. Thanks!

Old 06-22-2014, 03:38 PM
Veteran Member

Orange-purple is the low-coolant sensor signal. That is important to have but is not the cause of your other problems.

Is the message sensor not displaying messages or is the back light just out? If it is the backlight, there is a bulb right behind the display may need to be replaced.

If there are no messages at all, the LCD is probably bad.

Old 11-23-2014, 05:39 PM

Which pin position is the Low Coolant?

Old 11-23-2014, 06:10 PM
Veteran Member

Which pin position is the Low Coolant?
Depends on the model year of your car. What year?

Also this would not be the first place to look for a problem of this sort...it would be at the coolant fill tank float or sensor in the tank.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 11-23-2014 at 06:13 PM.
Old 11-23-2014, 06:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,624 Likes on 874 Posts

Here you go:

Also look at the following DIY on the coolant level sensor:

http://jagrepair.com/CoolantTankLevelTesting1999xk8.htm

Jim Lombardi

Attached Thumbnails Instrument pack  PIN Schematic x308-1998-jaguar-xj-instrument-cluster-op-wire.jpg  

Last edited by jimlombardi; 11-23-2014 at 06:25 PM.
Old 11-24-2014, 03:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,624 Likes on 874 Posts

Note that there is a harness to harness connector in the wiring diagram (EM2 connector - OP wire location in that connector is pin #17)
Also here is the information on EM2 connector that is used for this harness to harness function:

EM2 is a 20-WAY MULTILOCK 070 / GREY - connector location is PASSENGER ‘A’ POST / LOWER ‘A’ POST FINISHER

Here is a JEPC showing the A-Post Finisher and its location

Here is more information on the lower portion of the A-Post Finisher.

You can see the Harness (that has the OP -orange purple wire) if you look under the passenger side of the dash just above the lower portion of A-Post Finisher.

If you need to look at the EM2 connector, it is the Finisher - Here is a photo that shows the Finisher's location:

Jim Lombardi

Attached Thumbnails Instrument pack  PIN Schematic x308-jag-xj-x308-post-finisher.jpg   Instrument pack  PIN Schematic x308-jag-xj8-x308-post-finisher-lower-r-i.jpg  

Last edited by jimlombardi; 11-24-2014 at 04:43 PM.