XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Intake porting with pics

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 11:27 PM
ud
Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Intake porting with pics

Ok guys well after all the talk of power and wanting more I decided to remove my slightly ported intake manny and put it on my superflow 600 and see if I could improve upon my light port job, to say i did would be a huge understatement. I spent another 5 hours on it today and increased the flow very nicely. i know the TB is the next bottle neck which will be dealt with but i can tell you this I gained a solid 1.5 psi of boost with this porting of the intake manny.

It has alot of material that can be removed. As you can see in the pics I started with a slightly light porting then went to town on this using an aluminum cutting wheel to gut over 4mm of material out of this all the way up the thoat where there is a HUGE lip under the TB. This lip was cut out an contoured for optimum flow, kinda of a funnel effect. At the other end i contoured the inlet and opened up and smoothed the sides. After the gutting then proceeded with 60grit sandpaper rolls then 80grit and finally to 120 grit you can tell the 120 pics as the metal was very shiney and smooth. I stopped all along the project to take measurements and flow the intake to see if there were any increases to make sure i didnt do anything damaging.

Very worth while project boost and throttle response is VERY improved and like i said Stock upper and lower pulley and I see a solid 14psi all the way to redline now zero drop off. Its also very noticable in cruising seems to just move better. I love crisp throttle response and man did this improve it. I took multiple pics throughout the process

Last pic is the finished porduct wow is all i can say made the car come alive and the blower is louder as well.

Attached Thumbnails Intake porting with pics-8.jpg   Intake porting with pics-7.jpg   Intake porting with pics-6.jpg   Intake porting with pics-5.jpg   Intake porting with pics-4.jpg  

Intake porting with pics-3.jpg   Intake porting with pics-2.jpg   Intake porting with pics-9.jpg  
The following 3 users liked this post by XJR-0220:
GGabriel (12-05-2012), JKo (05-30-2012), LaserSVT (05-30-2012)
Old 05-30-2012, 07:31 AM
Received 217 Likes on 156 Posts

The finished porting looks great. Would you consider doing this work for others? Please let me know what the cost would be
thanks

Old 05-30-2012, 10:58 AM
Received 97 Likes on 69 Posts

Would you be able to flow the intake manifold/chargecooler runners to see just how unequally they flow?

See this thread:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...nifolds-71983/

Old 05-30-2012, 11:39 AM
ud

Originally Posted by rocklandjag
The finished porting looks great. Would you consider doing this work for others? Please let me know what the cost would be
thanks
I would do this for anyone and as for cost really is just costing me time not alot of material really some sand paper rolls and such lol. Now tht I now where the intake manny needs to be improved and cut and shaped would take me about 4 hours to do. So if someone wants me to do theirs Id be happy to do so id need your manny though. As for cost hell throw me something for my time and return shipping and we will call it good i acually have a great time doing this. But I can assure you you will notice a big difference.

The following users liked this post:
GGabriel (12-05-2012)
Old 05-30-2012, 11:47 AM
ud

Originally Posted by SteveM
Would you be able to flow the intake manifold/chargecooler runners to see just how unequally they flow?

See this thread:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...nifolds-71983/

Yeah I can will just have to fab up a few plates and such and get some donorer intake mannys and I will work on em and flow them and port em to see if I can improve them. If they respond half as good as the intake manny wow im game.

Also looking into making a new stand alone tank and divorcing the intercooler fluid from the coolant. A lightning intercooler pump is a much better pump, change to a bigger heat exchanger, a tank and use some water wetter I think tht would help alot.

The Tb as I said is the next bottleneck to be dealt with just waiting to hear back from Maxbore as he has a good price and track record. Guessing after looking at it should be able to obtain 4 to 5mm more and then I would open the intake manny to match as well as shape a new gasket.

GGabriel (12-05-2012)
Old 05-30-2012, 11:59 AM
ud

If anyone decides to try this themselves all i can say is while it does have alot of material tht can be removed, make sure your careful there are some thin spots and if you are not careful you could cut or sand right through and that would be NO BUENO LOL. Dont mess with the bolt bosses they dont cus much turbulence and opening them up will make the boss weaker and you would need to teflon tape the bolts to make sure you dont have an air leak.

On another note I drove it around for a good while this morning and call it crazy but looks like my mileage is up a lil. But efficency which obviously is up will improve mileage as well. I am going by the computer avg thing but its always been pretty close for me. An even after 120 miles so far boost is still at 14psi, throttle response is still amazing, cruising is even improved it just seems always ready to go love even soft accelerations from a stop light.

GGabriel (12-05-2012)
Old 05-30-2012, 07:36 PM
ud

hate to sound like a broken record but i really cant believe the difference this has made to the powerband, throttle response, and power output. Its like a totally different animal all together and its not like I havent driven the car for weeks and just forgot. No I was driving it all day yesterday and then halfway through the day decided to go ***** out and flow and port the hell out of this intake and I can say without any doubt that this intake has changed the entire character of the car very nicely.

GGabriel (12-05-2012)
Old 05-30-2012, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by XJR-0220
Yeah I can will just have to fab up a few plates and such and get some donorer intake mannys and I will work on em and flow them and port em to see if I can improve them. If they respond half as good as the intake manny wow im game.

Also looking into making a new stand alone tank and divorcing the intercooler fluid from the coolant. A lightning intercooler pump is a much better pump, change to a bigger heat exchanger, a tank and use some water wetter I think tht would help alot.

The Tb as I said is the next bottleneck to be dealt with just waiting to hear back from Maxbore as he has a good price and track record. Guessing after looking at it should be able to obtain 4 to 5mm more and then I would open the intake manny to match as well as shape a new gasket.

I thought maybe you had the parts off already. FYI, the intake manifold flanges to injector manifold flanges to heads are horribly port matched. At least on my car. I'm talking like 2mm.

The inner diameter of the crossover hose looks to be small and probably low flow rate. I doubt there would be noticeable difference separating the systems. Only advantage would be to have a large tank for adding ice water.

Maxbore is able to bore the throttle bodies out to 80.5mm.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:33 PM
ud

I thought maybe you had the parts off already. FYI, the intake manifold flanges to injector manifold flanges to heads are horribly port matched. At least on my car. I'm talking like 2mm.

The inner diameter of the crossover hose looks to be small and probably low flow rate. I doubt there would be noticeable difference separating the systems. Only advantage would be to have a large tank for adding ice water.

Maxbore is able to bore the throttle bodies out to 80.5mm.

I think maybe this weekend I will take off the intake and port match the intercooler mannys and injector plates to get an even flow as well as try an flow the intercooler mannys to see how off it is.

I think 80.5 is a worthwhile size increase and i cant waiut for it to get done thanks steve

The following 2 users liked this post by XJR-0220:
GGabriel (12-05-2012), Rlover (06-10-2012)
Old 05-31-2012, 08:55 AM
JKo
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

What kind of a task it is to remove the intercooler mannys? Do you need to replace gaskets or perhaps drain the coolant? Just wondering 'cause I'd like to remove the injectors and have them professionally cleaned (and flow tested)...

Old 05-31-2012, 10:28 AM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by XJR-0220
I would do this for anyone and as for cost really is just costing me time not alot of material really some sand paper rolls and such lol. Now tht I now where the intake manny needs to be improved and cut and shaped would take me about 4 hours to do. So if someone wants me to do theirs Id be happy to do so id need your manny though. As for cost hell throw me something for my time and return shipping and we will call it good i acually have a great time doing this. But I can assure you you will notice a big difference.
Ooooooo, this is very tempting. How long do you think you would like to keep the parts for if I were to take you up on this offer? As for your reward/payment, anything on your wish list you would like?

Am I understanding correctly you are seeing this benefit from porting/polishing the intake manifold only?

I just bought a 2002 XJR yesterday to keep my 2002 XJ8 company in the garage

Last edited by Newby; 05-31-2012 at 10:31 AM.
XJR-0220 (05-31-2012)
Old 05-31-2012, 11:11 AM
ud

Originally Posted by Newby
Ooooooo, this is very tempting. How long do you think you would like to keep the parts for if I were to take you up on this offer? As for your reward/payment, anything on your wish list you would like?

Am I understanding correctly you are seeing this benefit from porting/polishing the intake manifold only?

I just bought a 2002 XJR yesterday to keep my 2002 XJ8 company in the garage
Yes seeing A very big difference with just porting of the intake and as for how long if I was just to do the intake it would take about two days to prep, clean, port, flow, polish, and send out so id start it the day it gets to me and send it out in a day shipping will be what takes the longest. As for reward lol havent really thought of it whatever you think Im not doing this a buisness this is me just helping out the community.

GGabriel (12-05-2012)
Old 05-31-2012, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by JKo
What kind of a task it is to remove the intercooler mannys? Do you need to replace gaskets or perhaps drain the coolant? Just wondering 'cause I'd like to remove the injectors and have them professionally cleaned (and flow tested)...
You have to drain the coolant and remove the supercharger first. To remove the supercharger you need to remove the throttle body and inlet elbow and a few other little things that need removal to remove the above. Probably will take the whole day removing and installing for someone doing it for the first time.

Old 05-31-2012, 01:39 PM
ud

You have to drain the coolant and remove the supercharger first. To remove the supercharger you need to remove the throttle body and inlet elbow and a few other little things that need removal to remove the above. Probably will take the whole day removing and installing for someone doing it for the first time.
I agree I can honestly remove the whole system in less than an hr and have the supercharger sitting on my lap lol. Then to take off the other parts should take me bout an hr or so maybe less havent removed them yet got to call jag and see if they have the gaskets in stock hate to get them off and then not be able to put it back together quickly LOL.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:49 PM

Right, good point. I suspected the idea of beaming the manifold off the car might be flawed... just kidding.
I dont mind getting familiar with the engine by working on it. Maybe I could then change from Newby to Novice

Would anyone happen to have a list with part numbers of what gaskets and anything else required that would be recommended?

If the intake alone shows a noticeable improvement, I wonder what the throttle body would do or even the heads.....there would likely be the BIG gains....porting and polishing the heads....what would that cost??

Last edited by Newby; 05-31-2012 at 09:21 PM.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:55 PM
ud

porting and polishing the heads should provide a good gain after looking at the heads they are probably not even pushing a 50 I/E ratio cus they really do suck as far as radius and exhaust is concerned. The optimum I/E ratio is in the high 70s, and I am sure it can be improved upon immensely. the thottle body will be next on my list as will the supercharger intercooler mannys and injection housings. I ordered the gaskets they were $10 per side so not too much. Its all relatively easy to do if you can wrench it just takes patience and time.

Old 06-01-2012, 01:03 AM
JKo
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I know this is slightly OT, but just to clarify (english is not my first language), it's not possible to remove the injectors without removing the supercharger and everything that goes with it?

Old 06-01-2012, 05:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,357 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Originally Posted by JKo
I know this is slightly OT, but just to clarify (english is not my first language), it's not possible to remove the injectors without removing the supercharger and everything that goes with it?
Yes, you need to remove the s/c.

Old 06-01-2012, 10:20 AM
ud

correct have to remove the SC to get to all the fun stuff LOL

Old 06-01-2012, 04:33 PM

Hi again,

If you can describe where to and more importantly where not to remove material I could actually do this at home.

I have a 1/3hp Foredom flex shaft at home. I think I would start with an aggressive cylinder, then use the 3M bristle disks (see attached photo) for this job. They are semi conforming/not very conforming and they come in all grits and they don't cake up with material and last way longer than sand paper. They are worth looking into. They are the standard for all jewlers.

Have a look at the attached pic of a ink pen I made. It is in the form of a squid (since squid were the first to make ink) I designed, cast the metal (sterling and 18K gold), and finished the whole thing at home Polishing was mostly bristle disks and sanding disks (the type dentists use)

Could I oblige you to share what you've learned about where to and not to remove metal?

Once I have the super charger and other stuff off, I plan on spending serious time polishing everything before it goes back on.

Attached Thumbnails Intake porting with pics-squidpensilverruby.jpg   Intake porting with pics-imgres.jpg  

Last edited by Newby; 06-01-2012 at 04:56 PM.

Quick Reply: Intake porting with pics